NCAA puts Nebraska on 2-yr. probation for textbooks case

Nexus

It's a shame you guys got nailed for this....your players easily could have bought their own coloring books.

Don't be mad that Wiscy players can't stay inside the lines with theirs.

We don't use them, coloring books are for the poors

Gotcha...sorry...we don't implement 'pay to play' down here.

NY Times columnist dumbfounded by textbooks violation.

The two documents the N.C.A.A. issued about the University of Nebraska case are priceless. The first is a press release, which includes an amazing little sidebar. After outlining the violations and the punishment (including “public reprimand and censure!”), it adds a side note that reads, in part, “N.C.A.A. President Mark Emmert and members have recognized that numerous rules, such as those stating athletic scholarships can be used to purchase mandatory but not ‘recommended’ textbooks, are overly prescriptive and do not support our values.” In other words, the rule is so idiotic that even the N.C.A.A. can’t defend it. In that same side note, the N.C.A.A. says that it is in the process of rewriting its rule book. Can’t wait to see the results.

The second document is the 10-page “Infractions Report.” It is worth a read to give you the full flavor of an N.C.A.A. proceeding. Filled with phrases like “legislation,” “summary disposition process” and “findings,” it is a parody of a judicial ruling. Which makes sense, since N.C.A.A. investigations are themselves parodies—bad ones—of the judicial process.

Continue Reading

On a serious note... what happened here and why was it inproper? When I was in school I had a part of a scholarship that included a book gratuity... it never ended up being spent on books but that's beside the point. Don't athletic scholarships fund books? If they don't they should

On a serious note... what happened here and why was it inproper? When I was in school I had a part of a scholarship that included a book gratuity... it never ended up being spent on books but that's beside the point. Don't athletic scholarships fund books? If they don't they should

The problem is that they fund required books but not suggested other books. The bookstore was also giving them the optional books which is a violation (apparently).

The problem is that they fund required books but not suggested other books. The bookstore was also giving them the optional books which is a violation (apparently).

Oh ok, I guess that's technically a violation...still though. Its frickin textbooks.