The "Average" Class

Ok, all this talk about a "bad class" from the realist has me wondering. How much did NU reach on these kids that signed to be a part of "your team".

Jared Afalava-Schollies from Oregon, UCLA, Washington

LeRoy Alexander-turned down visit to Michigan State and probable offer after committing

Tommy Armstrong-Oregon, Missouri, TCU, UCLA, told the wHorns to piss off when they came begging

Zaire Anderson-Miss St, TCU

Thomas Brown-ASU shot down an offer to visit Oregon after committing

Sam Cotton-had offers from Ohio and Tulsa, schools knew early where he would go(look at who was recruiting him though Nebraska guys in Jimmy Burrow and Scott Downing

Imani Cross-South Carolina, Georgia Tech, Tennessee, UCLA, Virginia

Aaron Curry-Zona, Baylor, Boise,BC, Iowa, KState, Mizzou, Purdue, TCU, A&M

Greg McMullen-Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State

Zo Moore-Ole Miss, Miss State, A&M

Avery Moss-Zona, ASU, Stanford, Washington

Mike Rose-Iowa, Ohio State, USC

Mo Seisay-Arkansas, Cal, FSU, North Carolina, Oklahoma

Paul Thurston-Zona, ASU. Arkansas, Cal, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA

Vince Valentine-Bama, Zona, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan St, Mizzou, Penn State, Tennessee, Wisky

Jordan Westerkamp-Zona, iowa, Michigan State, Notre Dame

Corey Whitaker-turned down visit to Oregon(who were gonna offer) and Florida

These of course aren't every offer either. Most of those schools were ranked ahead of NU in the rankings(so obviously they are better teams) or have very good defensive and offensive minds on the staff or as head coach. There are plenty with offers from SEC schools that I didn't mention. Staffs of the "lesser" schools in that conference that must have thought a lot of these guys could compete with the big dogs in "the greatest conference in college football". Plenty had interest from "big time schools" that wanted visits even after committing to DONU.

A class can be judged today, but no one honestly ain't gonna know jack until two or three years down the road. So to dog and bag on this class now is purely asinine.

Excellent post, my friend.

Sadly, no amount of cold logic will ever sway the haters/Debbie Downers. But that's ok.....

Ok, all this talk about a "bad class" from the realist has me wondering. How much did NU reach on these kids that signed to be a part of "your team".

Jared Afalava-Schollies from Oregon, UCLA, Washington

LeRoy Alexander-turned down visit to Michigan State and probable offer after committing

Tommy Armstrong-Oregon, Missouri, TCU, UCLA, told the wHorns to piss off when they came begging

Zaire Anderson-Miss St, TCU

Thomas Brown-ASU shot down an offer to visit Oregon after committing

Sam Cotton-had offers from Ohio and Tulsa, schools knew early where he would go(look at who was recruiting him though Nebraska guys in Jimmy Burrow and Scott Downing

Imani Cross-South Carolina, Georgia Tech, Tennessee, UCLA, Virginia

Aaron Curry-Zona, Baylor, Boise,BC, Iowa, KState, Mizzou, Purdue, TCU, A&M

Greg McMullen-Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State

Zo Moore-Ole Miss, Miss State, A&M

Avery Moss-Zona, ASU, Stanford, Washington

Mike Rose-Iowa, Ohio State, USC

Mo Seisay-Arkansas, Cal, FSU, North Carolina, Oklahoma

Paul Thurston-Zona, ASU. Arkansas, Cal, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA

Vince Valentine-Bama, Zona, Arkansas, Auburn, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan St, Mizzou, Penn State, Tennessee, Wisky

Jordan Westerkamp-Zona, iowa, Michigan State, Notre Dame

Corey Whitaker-turned down visit to Oregon(who were gonna offer) and Florida

These of course aren't every offer either. Most of those schools were ranked ahead of NU in the rankings(so obviously they are better teams) or have very good defensive and offensive minds on the staff or as head coach. There are plenty with offers from SEC schools that I didn't mention. Staffs of the "lesser" schools in that conference that must have thought a lot of these guys could compete with the big dogs in "the greatest conference in college football". Plenty had interest from "big time schools" that wanted visits even after committing to DONU.

A class can be judged today, but no one honestly ain't gonna know jack until two or three years down the road. So to dog and bag on this class now is purely assinine.

Damn sunshine-pumper.

+1

Very good. You're in the same boat with 95% of us other fans that see things with common sense and not a shadow.

I never paid much attention to recruiting until yesterday, and the feeling I get is that this may be one of the most underrated classes in the country. "We only have 17 :ahhhhhhhh " Didnt big bad Urban get only 16 at AnOhio School. It may be a low number, but there a lot of quality players in the class, in a year that only offered a total of around 35 5 stars anyway (depending on who you read) I personally think recruting rankings for teams are a joke the way they are figured. Dont know how we ended up but according to rivals rankings I figured Nebraska to be 3rd in the nation based on average ranking, that was right before the Peat announcement. but since we have small number we're much lower. Maybe we should sign 30 2 stars and give 10 more schollies to walkon caliber players so we can be number 1 and things will be fine.

Funny how people don't talk more about oversigning in the media. I think outside the lines should report on that. O but they like SEC schools.

Very good. You're in the same boat with 95% of us other fans that see things with common sense and not a shadow.

I never paid much attention to recruiting until yesterday, and the feeling I get is that this may be one of the most underrated classes in the country. "We only have 17 :ahhhhhhhh " Didnt big bad Urban get only 16 at AnOhio School. It may be a low number, but there a lot of quality players in the class, in a year that only offered a total of around 35 5 stars anyway (depending on who you read) I personally think recruting rankings for teams are a joke the way they are figured. Dont know how we ended up but according to rivals rankings I figured Nebraska to be 3rd in the nation based on average ranking, that was right before the Peat announcement. but since we have small number we're much lower. Maybe we should sign 30 2 stars and give 10 more schollies to walkon caliber players so we can be number 1 and things will be fine.

People are upset about the rankings regarding a lower number of players...but when you figure 40-50% of recruits usually don't pan out...regardless of stars wouldn't you rather have a class of 25, than a class of 17? At 17 we have 8-9 that might crack the 2-deep. At 25 we'd have 12-13. That's 4-5 more quality players. That's the basis behind the benifits to oversigning. It's also the reason why a smaller class (regardless of average stars) is going to be ranked lower...because it should be ranked lower!

As much as they didn't work out in Nebraska's favor this year...the rankings pretty accurately portray the level of a class. Next year all of you "average stars" people are going to be talking about how highly ranked of a class we have with little regard to the stars (because they'll be down from this year) when we sign 25-28 guys. Then stars won't matter it's quantity. But I bet we get more into the 2-deep from next years class than this years. Just whatever fits your argument I guess. :)

(and Cincinnati signed 28, 25 of them 3*s and still found themselves at 49th).

I am gonna bump this not because I want to stroke my own ego(ok, yeah there is a little of that but ya have got to know me) but because there are three or four individuals who I was hoping would reply to counter with their beliefs and reasoning. Not shocked to see their names missing in this thread.

So.........Twat Troop where are you?????????????

• Fire 2

This is a very good class if all make it in, plus we can hope for a 4 star DB from last year's class. Would it have been great to sign another Peat or Ford, or a half dozen other top recruits ,Yes but this is a good class and we closed hard on NSD missing on one or two players.

I am gonna bump this not because I want to stroke my own ego(ok, yeah there is a little of that but ya have got to know me) but because there are three or four individuals who I was hoping would reply to counter with their beliefs and reasoning. Not shocked to see their names missing in this thread.

So.........Twat Troop where are you?????????????

They might not have the ability to respond right now....?

Does anyone know where our class would have ranked if Peat had signed with us? We ended up #25 on Rivals' board. How high would we have climbed had Peat come here? 20th? 17th?

Isn't the uproar here really over what amounts to five to maybe ten spots? And would people have really felt that much better over a #20 class?

I get the impression that the meltdown happened because of Peat, and as has been pointed out, we have an O Line full of young four-star players. I just have a hard time getting so upset about this when the best we could possibly have done isn't much higher than where we ended up anyway.

Does anyone know where our class would have ranked if Peat had signed with us? We ended up #25 on Rivals' board. How high would we have climbed had Peat come here? 20th? 17th?

Isn't the uproar here really over what amounts to five to maybe ten spots? And would people have really felt that much better over a #20 class?

I get the impression that the meltdown happened because of Peat, and as has been pointed out, we have an O Line full of young four-star players. I just have a hard time getting so upset about this when the best we could possibly have done isn't much higher than where we ended up anyway.

Looking at the teams directly ahead of us, we shouldve ended up around #20 if Peat would've came here. But one player does not make or break a program, he would've been the icing on the cake but this is still a very solid class. With lots of athletes at multiple positions.

Looking at the teams directly ahead of us, we shouldve ended up around #20 if Peat would've came here. But one player does not make or break a program, he would've been the icing on the cake but this is still a very solid class. With lots of athletes at multiple positions.

Exactly. These meltdowns and "we're never going to be good again" posts are just stupid.

The concern is just that there are 17 kids in the class and not 20. I guess that's more a roster management issue. Plus, either the '10 or '11 classes was also trumped as a "this is a really small class, we are going to be real selective."

On average, there's just going to be a certain percentage of recruits that don't really pan out. Just look at the promise guys like Khiry Cooper - now a senior! - or Lazzari Middleton or Josh Mitchell or Josh Williams or any number of guys had. Or Dijon Washington, Ciante Evans, Qvale, etc, etc, a lot of still unknown quantities that could go either way. All those guys were very solid, promising recruits that were great additions to those classes.

The concerns about how behind we were in recruiting were mostly addressed in the closing weeks. I mean, we had an extremely fast paced January/NSD in terms of commits. We added Alexander, an OL (Whitaker?), and Cross shortly before NSD and added three more on the day itself. So much was up in the air before these six guys that concern really was justified.

Now it's just more of a numbers issue, because for this class to really be successful, we're going to need a high batting % out of it. The guys that we got were all pretty good gets, no complaints there.