Recruiting dinner recap

The annual signing day recruitment dinner was yesterday in Omaha. I try to make it every year. As many of you know, the event goes over all of the recruits in the class with film clips and coaching comments.

I personnaly think we have a very good class this year. The loss of Peat hurts, but overall it's hard to complain. Here is a quick recap:

1. The walk on class really seems to be a cut above this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of these guys get significant playing time in their careers. Spencer Long's name was brought up alot. He is the current poster child representing the walk on program's success.

2. Beck talked about Armstrong as QB. Kid looks impressive on film. I think we stole a good one out of Texas.

3. Coach Fisher talked about Westerkamp. Hard not to be excited about this kid. Fisher said that only one WR prospect would be picked in this class. Westerkamp was his first choice and he got him after almost losing him in the 11th hour to ND. He mentioned Garrison as being very helpful in getting this kid to sign as well.

3. Cotton and Garrison discussed Thurston and Whitaker. I was surprised that Cotton didn't really talk much at all. Probably reading into that too much. Anyway, both guys look good on film. Whitaker was one of those guys that really flew under the rader. Very surprising he didn't get Pac 12 offers.

4. Brown talked a little bit about Cross. Good kid with Christian up bringing. I think Brown and him meshed very well. Kid is big with deceptive speed. Good big 10 type RB.

5. Coach Els went over the LB's. Anderson and Rose looked the most impressive to me on film. Obviously this was the biggest need for this year's class.

6. Raymond talked about Alonzo Moore and Seisay. Both very good prospects. Moore is definitely being looked at as a DB. He was a great running QB , but his passing looked pretty shaky.

7. Papuchis and Kaczenski talked about Valentine and Curry. Both looked good on film. I'm excited to see what Kaczenski can do next season for the D line.

8. Bo was last to speak. Mentioned the car accident. He had to go back and get another car so that was why he was late. Bo spoke very well. Thanked the fans for the support and seemed very polite and gracious. He talked about this season not meeting expectations. He talked about getting to the next level and about producing championships. He said he is very excited for this upcoming season and expects great things. For Bo it was quite inspiring. I came away pretty upbeat about next season. Hope his predication comes true.

• Fire 2

So who was our top recruit yesterday ?

Looks like the warm weather states dominated in recruiting, what I don't understand is why doesn't Hawaii get in on this ?

Westerkamp, Rose, Mcullen. OSU offered Mcmullen as a Soph, and USC and OSU wanted Rose and Westerkamp. Another arguement could be made for Armstrong, he could be the gem of the class if he can continue to play like he did in HS and progress (which i think he will)

Its a really good class when you look at. Siesay and Zaire are good enough to start and play soon if not right away, so they are probably 2 year starters. Even if just the names i mention end up starting for a 2-3 years it will be a great class, let alone the others like thurston, Valentine and whitaker. moore, will probably all see playing time in a few years. Im sure im forgetting others . Armstong is our best recruit, or Westerkamp, or McMullen, or Valentine, or Rose. I think we got a lot of good kids, high character, hard working kids. Excited about the last few classes. We should see it paying off for us really soon.

• Fire 2

Thanks for the recap. I was a bit leary of this class only because it seemed like NU was hamstrung by the numbers i.e. schollies available. Was this class filled with 5-star talent up and down? No. Were there fish that got away? Yes. But after taking a deep breath and looking at who actually commited and signed, it doesn't seem too bad. As a Nebraska fan, I want the walk-on or two-star who lives, eats, and breathes NU football over the five-star who casually commits and wants everything handed to him. Congrats to all the signees who want to be Nebraska football, and strive to make it better than ever. I salute you.

The Recruiting Dinner was in La Vista NOT Omaha! :) (It's my city-I gotta put a shout-out for it!)

I'll give you that. You're right. Lucky for you it is in Sarpy county or Omaha would have declared imminent domain by now and gobbled it up. I live in Elkhorn or what Elkhorn used to be before they annexed us.

The Recruiting Dinner was in La Vista NOT Omaha! :) (It's my city-I gotta put a shout-out for it!)

I'll give you that. You're right. Lucky for you it is in Sarpy county or Omaha would have declared imminent domain by now and gobbled it up. I live in Elkhorn or what Elkhorn used to be before they annexed us.

No kidding. We all hated that they went behind your backs and claimed Elkhorn as 'Omaha'. It's too bad. Elkhorn should've been able to keep its right to be its own city. Elkhorn is a very nice place-always had good schools, great sense of community. Don't get me started. Just suffice it to say-I hate it that you folks got robbed by the big O!

No kidding. We all hated that they went behind your backs and claimed Elkhorn as 'Omaha'. It's too bad. Elkhorn should've been able to keep its right to be its own city. Elkhorn is a very nice place-always had good schools, great sense of community. Don't get me started. Just suffice it to say-I hate it that you folks got robbed by the big O!

Omaha's all but officially claimed La Vista and it's sorroundings anyway. Sarpy county has changed dramatically within the last several years because of city expansion.

Omaha's all but officially claimed La Vista and it's sorroundings anyway. Sarpy county has changed dramatically within the last several years because of city expansion.

They can 'claim' all they want. La Vista is NOT in Douglas county. La Vista is NOT part of Omaha. Sarpy county has changed dramatically because people don't want to pay all of the bogus taxes they have to pay in Omaha. It's not because of Omaha that Sarpy county has changed. It's changed because we've brought our own businesses into that county. Omaha had nothing to do with it. I feel sorry for any city that gets annexed by them. They can't even take care of their own business let alone sticking it into everyone else's. Sorry-sore spot for me. I NEVER want La Vista or Papillion or Gretna or any other city in Sarpy county to be part of Omaha. They've already ruined Millard and Elkhorn!!!!!! They need to stay in their own county and quit trying to siphon money from ours.

Looks like the warm weather states dominated in recruiting, what I don't understand is why doesn't Hawaii get in on this ?

Westerkamp, Rose, Mcullen. OSU offered Mcmullen as a Soph, and USC and OSU wanted Rose and Westerkamp. Another arguement could be made for Armstrong, he could be the gem of the class if he can continue to play like he did in HS and progress (which i think he will)

Its a really good class when you look at. Siesay and Zaire are good enough to start and play soon if not right away, so they are probably 2 year starters. Even if just the names i mention end up starting for a 2-3 years it will be a great class, let alone the others like thurston, Valentine and whitaker. moore, will probably all see playing time in a few years. Im sure im forgetting others . Armstong is our best recruit, or Westerkamp, or McMullen, or Valentine, or Rose. I think we got a lot of good kids, high character, hard working kids. Excited about the last few classes. We should see it paying off for us really soon.

Because Hawaii has less people than Nebraska. They don't exactly produce a ton of talent.

not true... due to our population being barely a million and the fact that we produce about 12-20+ D1 recruits every year we are one of the most talent rich places per capita in the nation......

Because Hawaii has less people than Nebraska. They don't exactly produce a ton of talent.

not true... due to our population being barely a million and the fact that we produce about 12-20+ D1 recruits every year we are one of the most talent rich places per capita in the nation......

Aren't half of those recruits volleyball players?