Jesus and abortion

I believe there is a verse in the bible that states God knows someone even before they are in the womb so Jesus would be against abortion since you would already be someone to him. There are also versus that state the unborn or children too young to know God will go to heaven if they die. So in summary, abortion is by far the best chance a liberal will ever have of making it to heaven. :D

Instead of saying "I believe there is a verse...", find the verse and post it. Bible gateway is just a couple clicks away.

I'm gonna throw a hypothetical. If a woman asks God for an abortion and she miscarries, did he grant her prayer?

I'm not understanding the premise of this thread. Is it to cast doubt on the teachings of Jesus? Is it to say that all social issues today shouldn't be based on 2,000-year-old teachings? Is it to say that abortion isn't a religious issue?

Where are we going with this?

It's a semi successful attempt to rile up those who have certain beliefs regarding abortion. It's kind of a crap thing to do. People from the midwest are generally firmly routed in their beliefs. I have no problem with anyone's faith or religion, unless their beating down my door, telling me to convert, then STFU.

FYI, please refrain from asking my views on religion, because you'd probably not talk to me anymore.. heh

I don't think there will ever be a productive discussion over abortion so I don't see what good is going to come out of this thread.

Since most of those who oppose abortion view it plain and simply as murder, it makes complete sense that they would feel the issue is simply not something you have a light hearted chat about over a cup of coffee.

I believe there is a verse in the bible that states God knows someone even before they are in the womb so Jesus would be against abortion since you would already be someone to him. There are also versus that state the unborn or children too young to know God will go to heaven if they die. So in summary, abortion is by far the best chance a liberal will ever have of making it to heaven. :D

Instead of saying "I believe there is a verse...", find the verse and post it. Bible gateway is just a couple clicks away.

I'm gonna throw a hypothetical. If a woman asks God for an abortion and she miscarries, did he grant her prayer?

You are right, sorry, I got lazy. http://bible.cc/jeremiah/1-5.htm First verse. Here is a blog post talking about the second topic with verses. http://sharingjesus.blogspot.com/2008/02/do-infants-and-unborn-children-go-to.html

To answer your hypothetical, a simple no will do, unless you are guilty of trying to translate the meanings in the bible to fit your own wants much like those who actually believe in the bible tend to do as well. Actually that pretty much sums up how this thread got started in the first place. :)

You are right, sorry, I got lazy. http://bible.cc/jeremiah/1-5.htm First verse. Here is a blog post talking about the second topic with verses. http://sharingjesus....dren-go-to.html

To answer your hypothetical, a simple no will do, unless you are guilty of trying to translate the meanings in the bible to fit your own wants much like those who actually believe in the bible tend to do as well. Actually that pretty much sums up how this thread got started in the first place. :)

And we can find the opposite:

Give them, O LORD: what wilt thou give? give them a miscarrying womb and dry breasts. -- Hosea 9:14

Yea, though they bring forth, yet will I slay even the beloved fruit of their womb. -- Hosea 9:16

Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up. -- Hosea 13:16

etc. etc.

• Fire 1

I disagree, just about every law comes from someone's strong belief in the good of the people. Whether your God is my God or the Wicca's god, your core beliefs are usually what drives your actions and thus makes our laws. :thumbs

You're right...the strong belief in the good of the PEOPLE...not the good of what is written in a book. Do we stop at your god? Is it just the Christian teachings we make into laws? How about Sharia law? How many people would throw a fit if Sharia laws were pushed into our government? What about if I create a religion, write a religious text, and say that "because my religious teachings say this....we should make it into law."

The government should never make laws based off of a religious ideology.

Believe me, It took a turn for the worse years ago when people decided there was no place for God in anything.

Which version of which god?

Has a majority of people made that decision, and is that decision binding in any way?

And if it had been made, why is god still on our currency and in in our pledge?

Why do religions still enjoy tax-exempt status?

So in summary, abortion is by far the best chance a liberal will ever have of making it to heaven. :D

That is a fine Christian thought.

Thanks to the so-called Christians in this thread for reminding me why I no longer attend church services.

Oh, so the reason YOU no longer attend church is the fault of others. Me thinks you missed some important points along the way to your current destination.

You are right, sorry, I got lazy. http://bible.cc/jeremiah/1-5.htm First verse. Here is a blog post talking about the second topic with verses. http://sharingjesus....dren-go-to.html

How can you say no, God did not grant it, to a positive outcome for a requested prayer? If you asked God to heal you of cancer, and you were, you'd say he healed you.

Unless you're saying that the machinations of God's will are already in place and prayer is just talking at the wall, expecting someone to listen.

So in summary, abortion is by far the best chance a liberal will ever have of making it to heaven. :D

That is a fine Christian thought.

Thanks to the so-called Christians in this thread for reminding me why I no longer attend church services.

Oh, so the reason YOU no longer attend church is the fault of others. Me thinks you missed some important points along the way to your current destination.

Did he? The very same people who preach religion and preach its moral high ground are the same people who do and say the most terrible of things. The excuse in a sense, is [which of course there should be none]: I'm Christian, so it's okay that I did that.

That excuse is about as good as the Nazis saying...well we're Nazis, so it's okay that we did what we just did.