Why would Israel attack Iran?

based on this answer the reasons are VERY weak. For the US to stand back and even allow this type of thing to even be considered should be a crime.

"Israel, you attack Iran w/out UN approval and we cut off your billions a year in aid..and stop selling you weapons."

Problem solved.

Panetta report fuels concerns that Israel will attack Iran

Q: Why would Israel launch such an attack?

A: Putting aside Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s inflammatory comments that Israel should be “wiped off the face of the Earth” (which some Iranians claim privately was a mistranslation), some Israeli officials believe the continuous threat of an Iranian nuclear weapon would lead as many as 200,000 of their best and brightest citizens to leave for the United States and other Western nations. That is the “existential threat” Israeli officials worry about, not that Iran could destroy Israel.

An Iranian nuclear weapon would give Israel a lot less latitude to respond to Iranian threats, the Israelis believe.

So because of a mistranslation of a guy that has no power to decide if there would ever be an attack on Israel and because many of their bright/valuable citizens may leave the country because of this mistranslation from a powerless leader.

the rest here

http://openchannel.m...ill-attack-iran

Does it matter? Israel will do what they want anyways. If they can wipe out Iran, ok, fine. That'll be the signal for Egypt, Syria, Jordan, and Palestine to jump in the mix and with any luck, they'll all take themselves out....

It matters to our oil prices...it matters in that we are complicit and will most likely be the target of more terrorism. It matters in that it'd be a war crime. Do those only matter when they are against us or our "friends"?

and you think a democratically electected leader in any mideast country would go along w/ the illegal acts Israel is engaged in w/ regards to the Palestinians? If Israel wants peace it will have to start actingl like a peaceful neighbor. Putting a stop the breaking of UN Resolutions and war crimes would be a great start.

and you think a democratically electected leader in any mideast country would go along w/ the illegal acts Israel is engaged in w/ regards to the Palestinians? If Israel wants peace it will have to start actingl like a peaceful neighbor. Putting a stop the breaking of UN Resolutions and war crimes would be a great start.

Surely you're not implying that Israel has no legal foundation for their treatment of Palestine/Palestinians, yes? Do you believe that Israel has zero reason to hold Palestine under their thumbs?

Does it matter? Israel will do what they want anyways. If they can wipe out Iran, ok, fine. That'll be the signal for Egypt, Syria, Jordan, and Palestine to jump in the mix and with any luck, they'll all take themselves out....

It matters to our oil prices...it matters in that we are complicit and will most likely be the target of more terrorism. It matters in that it'd be a war crime. Do those only matter when they are against us or our "friends"?

And it is a war crime if Iran sends nukes to Israel and blows up their country. :nutz

That street has gone both ways for a long time, Cactusboy.

Ideally, Israel *should* act like the bigger country and do as you say. But when Palestinians can't adhere to their own peace accords and Israelis die because of it, idealism quickly goes to the wayside.

As for Israel attacking Iran, it would be prudent for them to cool their jets until the Syria crisis comes to a head. That could easily spill into Israel and put a strain on their resources.

Surely you're not implying that Israel has no legal foundation for their treatment of Palestine/Palestinians, yes? Do you believe that Israel has zero reason to hold Palestine under their thumbs?

their occupation is 100% illegal...no ifs, ands, buts about it. They only get away w/ it because we have their back. This could get into a very long thread, but that's what it boils down to. An illegal occupation and the resistance of.

You sure have a knack for presenting questions and issues that appear to be pretty obvious to most people but the answers seem to evade you OP. You asked; "why would Israel attack Iran?" My question to you is; why wouldn't Israel attack Iran?

Do you actually believe that there was some mis-translation of Achmadinajads (phonetics-go easy on me) prior statements or intentions towards Israel? He has made it abundantly clear what he would do with Israel if and when he was capable. It matters very little if he actually follows through and does it or not. Years ago, before all the PC BS and double-speak, people actually listened to what other people/countries said and believed they would do whatever it is they claimed they would do. Or, put another way, if a very hostile person is standing right in front of you and they seriously state they are going to punch you in the nose; how do you react? Do you wait for them to hit you before you respond or do you kick em in the cahoonies (don't aks-just made it up) them first? I think I'm pretty sure I know what I would do. Why do these common sense things seem to elude you?

If Obama came out publicly and claimed the US was going to wipe Venezuela off the map with a nuclear attack, would you fault Venezuela for getting in any shots they could before they were vaporized? Does it really matter that the Iranian president happens to be a lunatic? If the Iranian people feel he is not representing them as a country then maybe they should get somebody else in charge and pretty damn quick. Words matter.

That street has gone both ways for a long time, Cactusboy.

Ideally, Israel *should* act like the bigger country and do as you say. But when Palestinians can't adhere to their own peace accords and Israelis die because of it, idealism quickly goes to the wayside.

As for Israel attacking Iran, it would be prudent for them to cool their jets until the Syria crisis comes to a head. That could easily spill into Israel and put a strain on their resources.

Israel refused to extend/renew the last cease fire w/ Hamas. Hamas wanted to do a 10 year extention. Israel woudln't do it probably because a condition was they had to stop construction of settlements(illegal) in the occupied territories. I realize americans get a very biased story on this whole situation from our media...but if you do some honest, open minded, objective, independant research into it you'll quickly see what I'm takling about.

Heck Israel woudln't even agree to Bush's road map which was very slanted towards Israel. They had a whole list of exceptions they wanted.

You sure have a knack for presenting questions and issues that appear to be pretty obvious to most people but the answers seem to evade you OP. You asked; "why would Israel attack Iran?" My question to you is; why wouldn't Israel attack Iran?

Do you actually believe that there was some mis-translation of Achmadinajads (phonetics-go easy on me) prior statements or intentions towards Israel? He has made it abundantly clear what he would do with Israel if and when he was capable. It matters very little if he actually follows through and does it or not. Years ago, before all the PC BS and double-speak, people actually listened to what other people/countries said and believed they would do whatever it is they claimed they would do. Or, put another way, if a very hostile person is standing right in front of you and they seriously state they are going to punch you in the nose; how do you react? Do you wait for them to hit you before you respond or do you kick em in the cahoonies (don't aks-just made it up) them first? I think I'm pretty sure I know what I would do. Why do these common sense things seem to elude you?

If Obama came out publicly and claimed the US was going to wipe Venezuela off the map with a nuclear attack, would you fault Venezuela for getting in any shots they could before they were vaporized? Does it really matter that the Iranian president happens to be a lunatic? If the Iranian people feel he is not representing them as a country then maybe they should get somebody else in charge and pretty damn quick. Words matter.

So do you know exactl how experts say it was mistranslated and what they say he really said?

Ahmadinejad's phrase was "بايد از صفحه روزگار محو شود" according to the text published on the President's Office's website.[10]

The translation presented by the official Islamic Republic News Agency has been challenged by Arash Norouzi, who says the statement "wiped off the map" was never made and that Ahmadinejad did not refer to the nation or land mass of Israel, but to the "regime occupying Jerusalem". Norouzi translated the original Persian to English, with the result, "the Imam said this regime occupying Jerusalem must vanish from the page of time."[11] Juan Cole, a University of Michigan Professor of Modern Middle East and South Asian History, agrees that Ahmadinejad's statement should be translated as, "the Imam said that this regime occupying Jerusalem (een rezhim-e eshghalgar-e qods) must [vanish from] the page of time (bayad az safheh-ye ruzgar mahv shavad).[12] According to Cole, "Ahmadinejad did not say he was going to 'wipe Israel off the map' because no such idiom exists in Persian." Instead, "he did say he hoped its regime, i.e., a Jewish-Zionist state occupying Jerusalem, would collapse."[13] The Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI) translated the phrase similarly, as "this regime" must be "eliminated from the pages of history."[14]

Iranian government sources denied that Ahmadinejad issued any sort of threat. On 20 February 2006, Iran's foreign minister Manouchehr Mottaki told a news conference: "How is it possible to remove a country from the map? He is talking about the regime. We do not recognize legally this regime."[15][16][17]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahmoud_Ahmadinejad_and_Israel#Translation_controversy