Head-to-Head B1G Recruiting Battles

NUance

Head-to-Head Recruiting Records and Rankings in the B1G 10 (and ND)

by nuftw on Feb 2, 2012 9:51 PM CST; Off Tackle Empire

NU v. Illinois 3-1

NU v. Indiana 5-0

NU v. Iowa 4-1

NU v. Michigan 2-4

NU v. MSU 3-1

NU v. Minnesota 3-0

NU v. Northwestern 3-0

NU v. ND 3-2

NU v. OSU 2-4

NU v. PSU 1-1

NU v. Purdue 4-2

NU v. Wisc 1-2

LINK

These are NU's recruiting battle records for each recruit we have who had offers from other B1G schools (win). Plus the recruits we offered who signed with one of our B1G brethren (loss).

The article (post?) has a great graphic showing all the head-to-head recruiting records.

We offer a lot of kids (at least we did in 2011). Interesting breakdown, but I think NU, Oregon, and Alabama may be the teams that offer the most kids in CFB IIRC. So this might be a bit skewed.

I would agree, the other unique thing about NU compared to the rest of the B1G is where we recruit. Pulling quite a few out of LA, CA,TX, and AZ helps make up for talent in the typical B1G recruiting area that OSU and Michigan currently pull in. The impact of losing a battle to those two isn't necessarily a big impact as it would be for MSU for instance. Not saying it is helpful, but the way NU has historically recruited makes them uniquely positioned to overcome the issue.

• Fire 1

We offer a lot of kids (at least we did in 2011). Interesting breakdown, but I think NU, Oregon, and Alabama may be the teams that offer the most kids in CFB IIRC. So this might be a bit skewed.

I would agree, the other unique thing about NU compared to the rest of the B1G is where we recruit. Pulling quite a few out of LA, CA,TX, and AZ helps make up for talent in the typical B1G recruiting area that OSU and Michigan currently pull in. The impact of losing a battle to those two isn't necessarily a big impact as it would be for MSU for instance. Not saying it is helpful, but the way NU has historically recruited makes them uniquely positioned to overcome the issue.

2nd. Even before NU played a down in the B1G, I felt NU would be fine in recruiting. The single fact that NU has never fully relied on a single recruiting makes these things minimally relevant. Always felt that the rest of the B1G recruited an over saturated area, not to say there isn't lots of talent there and the area shouldn't be tapped into.