Affirmative Action Concerns to be Heard by Supreme Court

The problem isn't affirmative action - it's the fact that people feel we need it in order to get non-Whites into college.

I have two problems with it, both of which can be traced to real life examples. First, I have a friend who is one quarter Hispanic. Were it not for his last name, you would probably have no idea that he is one quarter Hispanic. Even his half-Hispanic father doesn't have a lot of common Hispanic qualities. This, however, didn't stop him from applying to receive numerous Hispanic-based scholarships out of high school four years ago, a couple of which he received. Why it's fair for him to apply and receive those kinds of scholarships, I don't know.

My other example is from a Black student who graduated from my high school in the same year. He was a non-honors student who averaged B's and had a 3.2 GPA. I, on the other hand, was an honors student who had a 4.6 GPA upon graduation (and had a higher ACT score). He received over $100,000 in scholarship offers, while I received less than a quarter of that. Regardless of race, I was a much better student who tried harder and did better, yet got significantly less money because of my race.

It's like the Rooney Rule in the NFL - not only is it total BS that a "minority" coach has to be interviewed in place of another, possibly more qualified coach, but the fact that we even NEED that kind of rule in this world is frustrating.

affirmative_action_answer_2_xlarge.jpg

Yes, and if you live under a rock you can pretend that centuries of oppression never happened, and that equality magically happened in 1865.

Equality hasn't been realized yet. The problem is not the historic years of oppression or the lack of any laws or rights currently. The problem is things like affirmative action, quotas, and the attitude that some people need to be treated differently. When society finally quits making allowances for people based on their race or some other minority status, then equality will truly be realized in this country.

• Fire 1

affirmative_action_answer_2_xlarge.jpg

Yes, and if you live under a rock you can pretend that centuries of oppression never happened, and that equality magically happened in 1865.

I'm not denying any of that and I still believe that racism is prevalent today and Affirmative Action might have been needed before but today it seems outdated and unfair. If Affirmative Action supported equality I would support it but by using race as a determining factor for financial aid and admission to college it is in-essence promoting inequality.

Equality hasn't been realized yet. The problem is not the historic years of oppression or the lack of any laws or rights currently. The problem is things like affirmative action, quotas, and the attitude that some people need to be treated differently. When society finally quits making allowances for people based on their race or some other minority status, then equality will truly be realized in this country.

That, and we stop imprisoning blacks at a much higher rate, allow them to have equal schools, and similar protection from the police.

That, and we stop imprisoning blacks at a much higher rate, allow them to have equal schools, and similar protection from the police.

The problem with affirmative action is that we need it in the first place. It's unfortunate that some members in society will make prejudices based on skin color, but it's the world we live in, which is why people will continue to support affirmative action programs.

There is some truth to that. I am not sure blacks are being imprisoned at a higher rate is wrong IF they commit a crime then they should do the time. However, I have seen studies that blacks receive much higher sentences for the same types of crimes. I am sure Carl will know more about that. Why would a black man receive more time, that is kinda fishy to me.

I would look into the education system and see why are the school not adequate. I think "the great society" has more to do with the black situation than simply saying the schools aren't equal. We have thrown billions of dollars at the problem of poverty and it has only marginally helped. Poverty rates were 17.3 in 1958 and after the govt authorized social welfare reforms it fell to 11.1 in 1973. However since 1973 it has remained around this level, going from 11.1 to 15%. Whatever we have been doing we need to find a different solution to poverty and low income areas where schools are not up to certain standards. eyeswear2allthatsholy