Corey Raymond a candidate at LSU?

Nexus

He will promote from within. We will get stuck with another guy with no experience at the position who will learn on the fly (and at the expense of the Huskers) and have folks saying "well in (add years here) this guy will be good for us. Give him his recruits, his scheme, his whatever.......

I was not a big fan of Raymond all year. Did the DB's really improve or did Fonzie coming back force teams to only use half the field in the passing game. Raymond does seem to be a "technique" guy which is a plus for the kids. Seems ;\lack of "technique" is possibly going to hurt Fonzie in the draft. I liked his opinion of our "talent". Unsure if it was a knock or a motivation tool, but regardless, he finally echoed what every poster on this board thinks/thought after watching some of our DB play. Didn't like the musical chirs at DB either. Whose call was that? Bo, Raymond, Carl? Maybe the mad hatter has offered to allow Raymond to coach his guys as he sees fit. No micro managing.

Marvin is not coming back. Won't happen in any of our lifetimes.

Raymond appears to be a great recruiter. If he leaves, this is the capacity we will miss him the most.

Not getting a pay raise has to raise some questions. His comments after the bowl game leaves me wondering if he and Bo are on the same page.

Is this a continuation of the "smart bomb" thread? Carl "leaves" for a new job. Now Raymond possibly "leaving"???? Graceful way to be "fired".

A few weeks before spring ball is a bad time to try and find a tried and true DB coach. Sadly, money is an option as we don't pay for assistants.

IMO, another Oh crap moment in the program.

A new DC, new D Line coach, possibly new DB coach...........awesome.

Promoting from within(in the deeaded doomsday scenario that would ensue IF this were to happen) probably means Eric Warfield. Not to shabby of replacement as he GA'd with Raymond this fall.

This honestly would be a rather huge loss IMO. There was so much to replace out of the secondary going into last year that anyone who led that position would be getting the "Huskerboard witchhunt". What he is doing on the recruiting trail is a shot in the arm that this staff needed to help JP.

Again, he ain't gone just on the list.

Promoting from within(in the deeaded doomsday scenario that would ensue IF this were to happen) probably means Eric Warfield. Not to shabby of replacement as he GA'd with Raymond this fall.

This honestly would be a rather huge loss IMO. There was so much to replace out of the secondary going into last year that anyone who led that position would be getting the "Huskerboard witchhunt". What he is doing on the recruiting trail is a shot in the arm that this staff needed to help JP.

Again, he ain't gone just on the list.

forgot about warfield being there. it makes more sense then minter and spot on with raymond and his recruiting.

With Bo's coaching philosphy, rush four, asking the secondary to cover WR's for 20 seconds every play, I could see a secondary coach wanting to bail out. It's basically an impossible task no matter how great you are at coaching. Nebraska is highly successful when we blitz, so we only blitz 5 times a game. Hmmm? Makes sense to me???? Without Ndamukong Suh blowing up the middle of the field, it really has made Bo's coaching style look a bit outdated. Kind of like when he had Glen Dorsey at LSU. I would not blame any secondary coach for jumping ship on Bo. His philosophy makes it very difficult to succeed without a very forceful defensive line. Now that said........with a good defensive line, the scheme flows together, and it works wonderfully. It's those extra seconds with no pressure that the secondary falls apart, and the defensive lanes open up.

I agree with PC on the Warfield possibility. I recall an interview awhile back before Warfield joined Pelini's staff asking if he thought Pelini's scheme was difficult and he disagreed. He said he played in a similar secondary match scheme in the NFL so it was second nature for him. At least Warfield has actual experience with the scheme. Coaching it is another animal altogether, but at least he's already familiar with it.

I agree with PC on the Warfield possibility. I recall an interview awhile back before Warfield joined Pelini's staff asking if he thought Pelini's scheme was difficult and he disagreed. He said he played in a similar secondary match scheme in the NFL so it was second nature for him. At least Warfield has actual experience with the scheme. Coaching it is another animal altogether, but at least he's already familiar with it.

Thats when its there full time job. College athletes are students first, maybe this scheme is a lot to digest along with their class schedules? Maybe 09 was just the [erfect defensive storm with Suh and co.

Thats when its there full time job. College athletes are students first, maybe this scheme is a lot to digest along with their class schedules? Maybe 09 was just the [erfect defensive storm with Suh and co.

Suh would have made any backfield look good. He was a freak. Plain and simple.

Good points about Warfield. Again though, no real experience. OTJ is not what we need if we ever expect to compete for the B1G or the MNC under Bo.

Bo's schemes are complicated. Look at when a player appears to "get it". Usually after 3 years in the system.

I have always liked Minter, from his time at NU to getting to see him play again in Carolina. Coached a Johnson C Smith in Fayetteville IIRC. Again, limited experience. Just seems like a good guy.

Bottom line, to compete we need to hire proven coaches and stop the OTJ pipeline. IMO, it is impossible to win with inexperienced coaches coaching inexperienced kids.

Suh would have made any backfield look good. He was a freak. Plain and simple.

Good points about Warfield. Again though, no real experience. OTJ is not what we need if we ever expect to compete for the B1G or the MNC under Bo.

Bo's schemes are complicated. Look at when a player appears to "get it". Usually after 3 years in the system.

I have always liked Minter, from his time at NU to getting to see him play again in Carolina. Coached a Johnson C Smith in Fayetteville IIRC. Again, limited experience. Just seems like a good guy.

Bottom line, to compete we need to hire proven coaches and stop the OTJ pipeline. IMO, it is impossible to win with inexperienced coaches coaching inexperienced kids.

Honestly can't see how Warfield would be that "inexperienced". He's GAing, knows the system, knows the staff, knows the kids that are in the program, played in the league for a long time(helps in recruiting).

I personally see Corey staying on, but(again in the Doomsday scenario) would have no qualms one bit with Eric

He still has a lot to prove as a position coach, but he does seem to do well in recruiting. Hope he ends up sticking around, definately replaceable if he doesn't.

he is/was obviously pretty frustrated with the lack of talent here, so he may be ready to blow this pop stand anyway.....

So be it. It's his job to develop the guys he has. If he can't, then it would probably be best for all involved.

I understand, but the point I'm trying to get across in that post is that Warfield already has experience with the scheme as a player. It wasn't meant as a measure against the current student-athletes learning it. Your point is valid though. But the overall point was, Warfield is already familiar with the scheme, so the learning curve is minimal if anything if he were promoted in such a scenario.