Corey Raymond a candidate at LSU?

Nexus

Like others who have posted earlier today..........I'd be thrilled with Minter.........

Great character; passionate Husker, pro experience ......

The downside would be shafting Turner at the last minute..........

But Turner's coaching at Liberty...didn't he shaft himself?

no, not really, but you have effectively taken the head coach out of making game time decisions.......so he is not longer the head coach during the game, but only in an administrative role......this would be chaotic and unacceptable to any real "head coach"

you just assume it would. the offense wouldn't, the defense wouldn't, the special teams wouldn't. and you're thinking about putting a real "head coach" into that position. get outside the box. While they would need plenty of coaching experience, I'm not. It is partially an administrative role, but it's much more than that. it's a leadership role. their primary job is assembling the staff needed to win games. the actual games/practices is on the staff. If the wrong staff is in place (primarily the OC/DC/Director of Recruiting) then that's on the VP. If they DL isn't performing that's on the DC.

Each of the OC/DC are likely utilizing this position as a stepping stone for an HC position. Both that fact, and their pay almost guarentee they would step up and fill the voids. The empowerment would allow them to innovate and do things not otherwise possible. Since we are assuming they are some of the best at their respective positions then you'd have to assume their decisions would be sound.

Hypothetically lets take a look at 03'. Lets say that rather than fire Frank we push him into this VP role. Bo is promoted to the DC at 1.25 million so obviously he's not going to leave. Then we find one of the best coordinators out there. So I don't have to search lets say we hire Callahan or Gill. But at 1.25 million all kinds of options come into play. Paul Johnson, etc. Do you not think Bo could manage the defense? Callahan, Gill or Johnson the offense? If given 375,000 per assistant think about what they could do w/ that staff. Each would have a clear definition of their roles and work within those.

There would not be a coordinator that wouldn't at least entertain the position. We'd be paying our coordinators as much as all but 50 teams pay their HC. Likely we could push that number to 1.5 million and still have enough for the assistants. Someone ready to jump from assistant or mid-major coordinator to an HC would likely end up at Nebraska save for the top HC positions out there...of which there are only 10 or so a year.

This year think Ron Zook, Mike Stoops, Butch Davis as being available on the defensive side. You don't think they'd entertain 1.25 million? On the offensive side think Malzahn, Freeze, Gill, Pat Hill, Leach & Chow. The VP just has to stand back and let them do their thing.

Most will agree that Bo is one of the best defensive minded coaches in the business. There is a lot of talented defensive coaches that would love to learn and grow here. When somthing like this happens I bet Bo doesn't have to look very far. The next morning his message light was probably blinking with 30 new messages and his email inbox was ready to implode. I doubt Bo is worried so why should we. Nebraska will be alright under Pelini's watch. Best of luck to Corey Raymond.

Most will agree that Bo is one of the best defensive minded coaches in the business. There is a lot of talented defensive coaches that would love to learn and grow here. When somthing like this happens I bet Bo doesn't have to look very far. The next morning his message light was probably blinking with 30 new messages and his email inbox was ready to implode. I doubt Bo is worried so why should we. Nebraska will be alright under Pelini's watch. Best of luck to Corey Raymond.

I think NU has enough coaches doing that already...sometimes experience is nice.

I think NU has enough coaches doing that already...sometimes experience is nice.

Exactly - I think Bo is getting a little spread thin when it comes to his teaching.

I think your wish is unlikely to come true. Top-notch coaches are going to be in demand. If we have coaches that other teams don't want, that's a problem.

The idea of coaches just staying here forever, or for most of their career, is probably over, too. Most teams don't keep their coaches around this long. The business of coaching has dramatically changed since we had long-term assistants under Osborne. It's doubtful we'll have anything remotely like that ever again.

Heck - honest opinion, I doubt Bo is here in ten years.

Which is why we need to implement kchusker_chris organizational structure designed for the Huskers. Time to do something different. This is a fact of life yet we still run the program like they are going to be here forever...in the end we're just a training ground for coaching talent. We're the Kansas City Royals of coaching.

Haha I like that.

However, in Raymond's case, I would hesitate to call it that. I can't say I was sold on his one year of coaching. His only noticeable achievement, IMO, was Andrew Green, and he was still hit and miss. I think it's more of a recruiting loss than anything else, and you need someone that can coach and recruit. Raymond showed his inexperience (and possibly immaturity) by throwing players under the bus rather than admit he may have been at fault.

The more I hear Minter and Zook's name, the more I like it. I doubt that 1) Zook would come cheap, and the only thing NU has demonstrated lately when it comes to forking out big money is for asinine contract extensions, and 2) I doubt he'd come in as a positions coach. Being fired from a head coaching position and taking a coordinator position is one thing. But stepping down all the way to a position coach? He'd have to like NU a whole lot to do something like that, and I don't think he's got any ties here.

agree, he'll hang around like Leach and find another job.....if Leach can get a gig, Zook sure as hell can.

no, not really, but you have effectively taken the head coach out of making game time decisions.......so he is not longer the head coach during the game, but only in an administrative role......this would be chaotic and unacceptable to any real "head coach"

you just assume it would. the offense wouldn't, the defense wouldn't, the special teams wouldn't. and you're thinking about putting a real "head coach" into that position. get outside the box. While they would need plenty of coaching experience, I'm not. It is partially an administrative role, but it's much more than that. it's a leadership role. their primary job is assembling the staff needed to win games. the actual games/practices is on the staff. If the wrong staff is in place (primarily the OC/DC/Director of Recruiting) then that's on the VP. If they DL isn't performing that's on the DC.

Each of the OC/DC are likely utilizing this position as a stepping stone for an HC position. Both that fact, and their pay almost guarentee they would step up and fill the voids. The empowerment would allow them to innovate and do things not otherwise possible. Since we are assuming they are some of the best at their respective positions then you'd have to assume their decisions would be sound.

Hypothetically lets take a look at 03'. Lets say that rather than fire Frank we push him into this VP role. Bo is promoted to the DC at 1.25 million so obviously he's not going to leave. Then we find one of the best coordinators out there. So I don't have to search lets say we hire Callahan or Gill. But at 1.25 million all kinds of options come into play. Paul Johnson, etc. Do you not think Bo could manage the defense? Callahan, Gill or Johnson the offense? If given 375,000 per assistant think about what they could do w/ that staff. Each would have a clear definition of their roles and work within those.

There would not be a coordinator that wouldn't at least entertain the position. We'd be paying our coordinators as much as all but 50 teams pay their HC. Likely we could push that number to 1.5 million and still have enough for the assistants. Someone ready to jump from assistant or mid-major coordinator to an HC would likely end up at Nebraska save for the top HC positions out there...of which there are only 10 or so a year.

This year think Ron Zook, Mike Stoops, Butch Davis as being available on the defensive side. You don't think they'd entertain 1.25 million? On the offensive side think Malzahn, Freeze, Gill, Pat Hill, Leach & Chow. The VP just has to stand back and let them do their thing.

OK, you talked me into it........let's see Bo can be demoted to DC.....now what slug should we bring in to be HC and have Bo be suboordinate to?

OK, you talked me into it........let's see Bo can be demoted to DC.....now what slug should we bring in to be HC and have Bo be suboordinate to?

I think you already know Bo wouldn't be around in my scenario. That'd be a little toxic. As for the VP(HC)...like I said, it's someone unique. They'll need to understand their role, as will the OC/DC and work within that role. This person can't be getting in a pissing match w/ the DC over blitzing on 3rd down. That's not their domain. Here's a few...

1) Joe Moglia

2) Ron Brown

3) Turner Gill

4) Trev Alberts

5) Jeff Jamrog

6) Frank Solich

I like the first 2, and could see either being in the position 10-15 years. Franks another possibility because this is a great position for someone who's HC career is winding down.

I think you already know Bo wouldn't be around in my scenario. That'd be a little toxic. As for the VP(HC)...like I said, it's someone unique. They'll need to understand their role, as will the OC/DC and work within that role. This person can't be getting in a pissing match w/ the DC over blitzing on 3rd down. That's not their domain. Here's a few...

1) Joe Moglia

2) Ron Brown

3) Turner Gill

4) Trev Alberts

5) Jeff Jamrog

6) Frank Solich

I like the first 2, and could see either being in the position 10-15 years. Franks another possibility because this is a great position for someone who's HC career is winding down.

well, you sure would be throwing comventional thinking and tradition right out the window.......very hard to execute and keep successful coaches in their respective positions, as success brings advancment and greater rewards...........that will never change.

Some of you guys are hilarious. Nebraska, along with every other major BCS school, is a stepping stone. A graduate assistant at Nebraska, or any other school for that matter, uses that position to become a position coach at another school. Once he's a position coach it's a stepping stone to becoming a coordinator. Once he's a coordinator it's a stepping stone to becoming a head coach. And a head coach at a MAC or Sunbelt school can use success there to be a stepping stone to a BCS school. Now admittedly the line isn't always that straight, for example a graduate assistant at Nebraska may take a position coach at a school like Toledo and then take another position coach at a BCS school. But this whole whining about how Nebraska has become a mere "stepping stone" job is ludicrous and demonstrates a severe lack of understanding at how the coaching profession really works.

Eckler and Carl left for promotions

Watson - Demoted to QB coach

Gilmore - Lateral move

Sanders - Quit or forced to quit

Raymond - Lateral move

Just pointing out some holes in your argument.

Eckler and Carl left for promotions

Watson - Demoted to QB coach

Gilmore - Lateral move

Sanders - Quit or forced to quit

Raymond - Lateral move

Just pointing out some holes in your argument.

You obviously missed this from my previous post: "Now admittedly the line isn't always that straight..."

In other words, there certainly are exceptions and I didn't want to weigh down the post trying to account for every conceivable variance.