Bad Finishes should be enough to sink Doc

So what say you if Doc gets us to the semis of the B1G tournament? Which, if it started today could be possible as we would play Indiana first and then Wisconsin.

The chances of him getting there are extremely low.

But, let's say he does. I don't think it's enough to keep him around. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then.

So, just as a reminder (for the athletic Department) Nebraska is 7-27 in February and March the last three seasons. We've posted losing overall records in two of the last three years and haven't gotten as far as the 2ND round of the NIT since the 2007-2008 season.

There is simply no way a remotely competent athletic director allows Doc Sadler to remain employed.

If I recall correctly, before the season started, Vegas had our B!G number of wins at 4. Which is exactly what we achieved. And, remember this is BEFORE we had the injuries to Almeida, Jorge, Talley, etc.

And yet back in November Doc thought (and many of us did as well) that this would be Doc's best team.

What does that tell us about the state of this program? That even IF we had the full complement of players we anticipated, people who have reason to predict unemotionally still thought we would be terrrible.

(I also heard today that Nebraska and Lamar were THE most experienced teams in D-1 coming into the year)......... :facepalm:

So, just as a reminder (for the athletic Department) Nebraska is 7-27 in February and March the last three seasons. We've posted losing overall records in two of the last three years and haven't gotten as far as the 2ND round of the NIT since the 2007-2008 season.

There is simply no way a remotely competent athletic director allows Doc Sadler to remain employed.

Why did the AD grant Doc an extension last year?

I know I'm in the minority here, but it makes no sense to waste millions of dollars on the buyout. Who are they going to replace him with? Is Bob Knight coming out of retirement? Is Calipari looking to resurrect our program? If not, why waste the money? NU sucks at basketball, NU has almost always sucked at basketball, so I see no reason to fire the coach a year after his contract was extended. Just let him ride it out and then don't rehire him.

And don't forget the fact that we have a guy playing center/5 who at most should be a 4, probably a 3, and a guy playing the 4 that should at most be a 3 probably a 2, because of injuries. This is not an excuse for Doc, for I agree with most that it is time to go in a different direction. If this team couldve been competitive in most losses as they were in the bad season 2 years ago, it MIGHT have been excuseable dealing with these issues. But this team was in no way competitive. They did not play within the system by any means. I wont question their physical effort, but mentally they checked out a long time ago.

Why did the AD grant Doc an extension last year?

I know I'm in the minority here, but it makes no sense to waste millions of dollars on the buyout. Who are they going to replace him with? Is Bob Knight coming out of retirement? Is Calipari looking to resurrect our program? If not, why waste the money? NU sucks at basketball, NU has almost always sucked at basketball, so I see no reason to fire the coach a year after his contract was extended. Just let him ride it out and then don't rehire him.

That approach is quite frankly, idiotic. Unless you want to announce to the fans that the University doesn't care about winning and then ride it out as attendance sinks to 300 a game.

If I recall correctly, before the season started, Vegas had our B!G number of wins at 4. Which is exactly what we achieved. And, remember this is BEFORE we had the injuries to Almeida, Jorge, Talley, etc.

And yet back in November Doc thought (and many of us did as well) that this would be Doc's best team.

What does that tell us about the state of this program? That even IF we had the full complement of players we anticipated, people who have reason to predict unemotionally still thought we would be terrrible.

(I also heard today that Nebraska and Lamar were THE most experienced teams in D-1 coming into the year)......... :facepalm:

I'm not a Doc supporter, but I don't get the logic here. He matched the expectactions (albeit, very low ones) that were set before the injuries. Doesn't this imply we would've done better than expected (again, still probably not all that good) had the team been healthy?

Still, I've been checking the board, hoping to see some news of a press conference today. I wonder is Osborne and/or Perlman and/or the regents are looking for a booster to come in and pay off Doc's contract, and if that doesn't happen, the university isn't willing to absorb the cost?

VA Husker fan -

I think if the University wants to end Doc's time at Nebraska, the funds are there. At least, that seems to be what Sipple of the Journal-Star had to say recently. I think I posted the comment in the "Another reason University of Nebraska needs Division I hockey" thread (or the name was something like that), but it went something like that his sources had told him if the University decided to get rid of Doc, the money was not an issue, and that the athletic department was basically flush with funds at this point.

Check that thread, but it was something to that effect.

I'm not a Doc supporter, but I don't get the logic here. He matched the expectactions (albeit, very low ones) that were set before the injuries. Doesn't this imply we would've done better than expected (again, still probably not all that good) had the team been healthy?

Still, I've been checking the board, hoping to see some news of a press conference today. I wonder is Osborne and/or Perlman and/or the regents are looking for a booster to come in and pay off Doc's contract, and if that doesn't happen, the university isn't willing to absorb the cost?

This. This is why i have that feeling that he's still going to be here. I'm comparing to this situation to the Hawkins/CU situation. The money to buy out the contract is simply not being put, so we have to continue to put up with him. I hope to hell if he is retained that he busts his ass to prove us all wrong, but it would probably be devestating for his work ethic to know everyone wants him gone, but just doenst want to penny up the dough to do so. He would probably set the cruies and coast. Not to mention the message sent to the players that the dept simply does not care about basketball. I'm a Doc fan, but I feel the right thing to do here is to penny up the dough and move on.