New Orleans Saints - Bounty Hunters

New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton has been suspended for one year and the team will lose its second round pick in 2012 and '13 and pay $500,000 as a result of the NFL's bounty investigation, the league announced Wednesday.

http://content.usato.../1#.T2oLm3lKN1E

So, in other words, the Saints will slowly, but surely return to being the 'Aint's'?

I'd say so. The way they like to dick around the best player in their franchise's history probably doesn't help much.

In my opinion excessive suspension on Payton. I guess he won't have to worry about this being an issue that happens again. Should have hit them harder financially make the money go into the medical fund for retired players.

In my opinion excessive suspension on Payton. I guess he won't have to worry about this being an issue that happens again. Should have hit them harder financially make the money go into the medical fund for retired players.

Apparently, the reason they got hammered so hard was because Payton (and others) extensively lied to NFL investigators about the whole thing. The coverup always seems to make things a lot worse than they have to be. The first thing I thought of was Belichick getting caught cheating. I'm guessing he just owned up to it and took his lumps. That's exactly how the Saints should have handled this.

There are a lot of people who are pretty upset by this because its another example of how the NFL is becoming a joke and less of a contact sport but I disagree.

Yes Football is a very violent physical sport but these players were being paid extra for bigger hits where it left the other player badly injured. Sure these players are payed to to the other team within the rules of the game but this is basically encouraging the players forget the health and well being of the other players just to put some extra cash in their pockets.

We also need to think about kids playing ball in the College and High School levels. What kind of message is this giving those kids?

I think this punishment was good for the NFL because it sends a clear message to everybody that that type of crab won't be tolerated in any level of Football.

I commend the league for coming down hard on this - it's absolutely unacceptable and an extremely sobering and unfortunate reality that there is a place for things like this. Play the damn game right...why is this so impossible? :(

On a side note, how dumb can these players be at math? "Oooh I've got a 6 million dollar contract...if I kill Brett Favre it will be 6.01 million!!! I got this!"

I don't think it was really about the token amount of money, it was about embracing a philosophy where injuring players was a goal and worthy of praise in the unit.

It's hard to tell what the right balance is for the NFL. People are going to keep complaining about the player safety policies, but when you look at old games from the 60's 70's, the supposed golden age of pro football, it's almost comical comparing how players hit and the size of the players behind the hits. It looked nowhere close to as violent as today's game. Some people won't be satisfied until every player exiting the league has brain trauma and needs a cane to walk because their joints are wrecked I guess.

I don't think it was really about the token amount of money, it was about embracing a philosophy where injuring players was a goal and worthy of praise in the unit.

It's hard to tell what the right balance is for the NFL. People are going to keep complaining about the player safety policies, but when you look at old games from the 60's 70's, the supposed golden age of pro football, it's almost comical comparing how players hit and the size of the players behind the hits. It looked nowhere close to as violent as today's game. Some people won't be satisfied until every player exiting the league has brain trauma and needs a cane to walk because their joints are wrecked I guess.

I wonder why nobody has given serious thought towards taking away the pads and helmets. For as much as the protect, I think they instill a mindset of invincibility even more - allowing players to throwing their bodies with insane force at others.

What got them in big trouble was about lying then covering up and violating the salary cap. Vermiel got in trouble for saying he was going to give the KC kicker a bottle of wine for making a FG.

• 2 weeks later...