New Orleans Saints - Bounty Hunters

Between 22 and 27 defensive players on the New Orleans Saints, as well as defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, maintained a "bounty" program funded primarily by players in violation of NFL rules during the 2009, 2010 and 2011 seasons, the NFL announced Friday.

The investigation by the league's security department determined that an improper "pay for performance" program included "bounty" payments to players for inflicting injuries on opposing players that would result in them being removed from a game.

http://espn.go.com/n...rogram-nfl-says

Yeah, I understand why the NFL is making a big deal, but I would say most of the people making the judgements were probably engaged in some sort of activity when they were playing. You dont see a whole of players making a big deal about this, including QBs and such, because they know that it goes on.

Kind of reminds me of the Sandusky situation. You had a bunch of people jumping up on their soap boxes claiming moral superiority. But, if a guy like JoePa can make such a huge mistake, anybody can.

Similarly, you have a lot of people pointing and shaking their fingers, but I get the impression players know this stuff happens and coaches either provoke it or just don't care.

I'm sure that most teams in the NFL have some sort of 'bounty program'.

You're probably right. But I'm sure most of those are side bets between players on who will get the first sack of the game, ect. Not to try and injure guys and hurt their careers. That's garbage, and there's no place for it. I can't believe so many people are giving Williams and the Saints a pass on this. Especially after how much Suh was vilified for kicking at a guy out of frustration.

You're probably right. But I'm sure most of those are side bets between players on who will get the first sack of the game, ect. Not to try and injure guys and hurt their careers. That's garbage, and there's no place for it. I can't believe so many people are giving Williams and the Saints a pass on this. Especially after how much Suh was vilified for kicking at a guy out of frustration.

I'm wondering if thats where there is a disconnect. How are these players applying/defining "bounty"? If its about just a big hit (regardless of whether they just gave up a 20 yard completion or not), and nothing to do with intent to injure, then I can understand where one might find it acceptable (tax/salary cap implications aside). However, if thats the case, they need to choose a different word for it besides "bounty". Just call it the "big hit side bet" or something, and they can't single out certain players to hit.

I'm wondering if thats where there is a disconnect. How are these players applying/defining "bounty"? If its about just a big hit (regardless of whether they just gave up a 20 yard completion or not), and nothing to do with intent to injure, then I can understand where one might find it acceptable (tax/salary cap implications aside). However, if thats the case, they need to choose a different word for it besides "bounty". Just call it the "big hit side bet" or something, and they can't single out certain players to hit.

There is no disconnect.

New Orleans Saints players and at least one assistant coach maintained a bounty pool of up to $50,000 the last three seasons to reward game-ending injuries inflicted on opposing players, including Brett Favre and Kurt Warner, the NFL said Friday. "Knockouts" were worth $1,500 and "cart-offs" $1,000, with payments doubled or tripled for the playoffs.

Gambling is illegal. Plus paying players outside their contracts.

And now the Saints Tag Brees with the Franchise . Do you have a feeling that this team is crumbling?

T_O_B

G>B>R

it will after their coach gets barred for a year and they lose draft picks. Roger Goddell is gonna make an example of this team so other teams think twice about "ignoring" problems.

• 2 weeks later...

New Orleans Saints head coach Sean Payton has been suspended for one year and the team will lose its second round pick in 2012 and '13 and pay $500,000 as a result of the NFL's bounty investigation, the league announced Wednesday.

http://content.usato.../1#.T2oLm3lKN1E

So, in other words, the Saints will slowly, but surely return to being the 'Aint's'?