Shatel: Push for leadership starts with players

LINCOLN — Where does leadership begin? Sometimes, on a bus.

The Nebraska football team was leaving Florida Citrus Bowl Stadium last Jan. 2, pulling away from the rubble of a Capital One meltdown, a bowl game the Huskers coulda, shoulda won. Tensions were high. Voices were heard.

It wasn't just the loss, it was how they lost. Giving up a Hail Mary. The penalties. Turnovers. This wasn't the first time. But it had to be the last.

When the team arrived back in Lincoln, the players called a meeting. A lot of players spoke. In the dead of winter, things were just heating up.

"Right when we got back (to Nebraska), we had a pretty intense team meeting," senior defensive end Cameron Meredith said. "We realized some stuff's gotta change going into the next season. Because what we did last year didn't work out.

"A lot of things were going on. Off-the-field issues. Football-related, too. Because it all relates to each other. If you're not going to class, how are you going to show up on the field? Just getting an understanding of where the coaches are coming from to the players. The communication needs to be better."

The Huskers begin spring drills on Saturday. The 2012 season is full of intrigue, full of importance. In Bo Pelini's fifth season, everyone wants to take a big step. But Nebraska still can't get out of its own way.

Continue Reading

Its early, but is sounds good.

Every spring we hear about new this or new that. I just hope this is a real change. Also odd that this appears to not be how it has been for the past few years. Maybe the kids have finally realized a few things such as;

Not practicing 100% translate to no playing time.

Not going to classes translates to no playing time.

Maybe they realize they actually need to watch film.

Players need to hold each other accountable and help the guy who is struggling, not just wait for the coaches.

I really hope it translates to something on the field. The team needs the chemistry and leadership to improve for sure IMO. Seems like a positive direction.

Another article on the same thing.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/huskers/football/article_2efbb009-f5de-54a7-942b-9f3d1660f5cd.html

I'll believe it when I see it. We have heard it every year so far. Remember the team picnic picture last year? Group was coming together ... trusting each other ....had each other's backs. Team chemistry ? It can be made into a cure for illnesses, or a bomb waiting to explode !! Chemistry is a great field. So is physics. We'll have to wait until next January to hear the stories all over again.

I'll believe it when I see it. We have heard it every year so far. Remember the team picnic picture last year? Group was coming together ... trusting each other ....had each other's backs. Team chemistry ? It can be made into a cure for illnesses, or a bomb waiting to explode !! Chemistry is a great field. So is physics. We'll have to wait until next January to hear the stories all over again.

You're right that we have heard some of it before.............BUT, that doesn't mean it's not going to happen this year......

Every year IS different and every year does have different leaders..........I'd much rather hear they are at least "airing" some things...

Just like the players are maturing, I believe (hope) Bo is maturing as well...........

Give me the kool Aid.....................I'll look at this as a positive.....

Osborne credited a lot of their success at the end of his career to the unity council. The key is the leadership of the team has to buy in as well. If Bo is putting himself up in front of the firing squad everyone will be more willing to buy in. Trust is a powerful weapon...

I'll be skeptic as well until I see the results show up on the field.

I agree with Shatel's message, though. Players have to be the ones to decide how they're going to play. If I may use an old cliche, coaches can only show players the door, but the players have to open it. The Hail Mary play is the perfect example. I know the coaches told the players, right before that play, to get behind Jeffrey and not let him behind them. What happened? Nobody gets behind him and they score a touchdown.

Mental errors, miscommunication, etc., the focus just wasn't there on a Hail Mary - the most basic of defensive schemes. It's one thing if a players leaps in the end zone and makes an amazing catch, but to straight up not get behind a receiver and let him just fall into the end zone....

Those mentioning the apparant change with Pelini is spot on. I can understand why Bo played "control freak" when he was first hired. But at some point, he has to start trusting those around him (and at this point, those around him are all people he recruited/hired). If everyone now feels accountability and trust towards each other, the sky is the limit. Especially, if the staff can recruit those with the leadershp mind-set like some of those mid-90s players.

From some of the recent quotes I've read it sounds like Cameron Meredith is really stepping up as a leader of this team. Good for him. Not sugar coating things and having the balls to come out and say what the problem is and how they are going to solve it. Real leaders don't sit and focus on the problems of the past, they focus on the solutions for the future. We need more guys who are willing to tell it like it is, be willing to make some changes. Leadership used to be a big deal here at Nebraska.

Pass me the kool aid as well. i think this thing will def make or break this up coming season as it does every year but for some reason i feel this year will be different. I think that they are doing a good thing by meeting and getting everything out in the open and not making the prob. the elphent in the room so to speak because once u get the elphent out there its much easier to solve the problume and u dont feel like ur going to get the beat down from the coach or other player. I hope that they gel way better then last year i think there were at times that we didnt have that unity like they clam they had in the summer last year.