Nebraska's Pro Day

he'll probably top out at a 7-8 on the wonderlic and this will all be cleared up - but at this point it certainly appears one hell of an athlete wasted away a scholarship at Nebraska. too bad. never heard him complain though - which is more than I can say for a lot of guys that never really settle into a role on the team. it's not as though the coaches didn't know the guy was a freak of an athlete...if they didn't it's because he wasn't showing it in practice - and that would explain why he wasn't on the field. my guess is they/he did, and it was something else.

But to echo the thoughts about Mendoza, it is perplexing how such a great athlete didn't see the field. He must not have known, or been able to figure out, the playbook. Which raises another question, how is it that we seem to get an inordinate amount of "dumb" players?

no one could be dumb for 4 years.....there is more to it than that.........got to be.

When a guy switches positions a time or two, it makes a big difference. Sometimes the move just doesn't work out like it's planned. I had pretty high hopes for Mendoza as well, both at RB and at CB. IIRC he tried out WR for a little while as well. It's really too bad he didn't get put in a position to succeed because just looking at his numbers, it's obvious that he was one of the most athletic players on the team.

His position swaps illustrate to me that he was a HELL OF AN ATHLETE just not a good football player. The coaches knew he was a freak, just could not find a position that he could play effectively. God knows they tried; instead of writing him off they wanted to find a way to let him play. I've met Marcus, he's a good natured kid (man now) I don't believe a lack of positive attitude or work ethic was an issue. I believe he just couldn't translate his athleticism to football skills.

Must have been extremely gifted athletically if the staff thought he could play so many different positions! When you get moved you get stuck behind a bunch of guys already entrenched at that position. Guys who who knows the intracacies of the playbook and position. Tough to do IMO.

If Marcus Mendoza would have stayed at one position his entire career... :dunno

Perhaps he didn't stay at one position because he wasn't good at any of them, and the coaches were doing everything they could to get him on the field.

Perhaps. But with that type of vertical why not put Mendoza in at WR inside the red zone and just let him go up and get the football? I understand that if he doesn't get the playbook that he won't be on the field for an appreciable amount of snaps but surely the coaches could find two or three plays for him? Water under the bridge I suppose. Although it will be interesting if Mendoza goes to the NFL and starts tearing it up. Highly unlikely sure but it would raise some questions.