Nebraska's Pro Day

He is a perfect example of why the NFL combine means absolutely nothing. I could find plenty of kids that run track that could run a high 4.3 and 40 inch vertical. You have to be good at FOOTBALL!

LOL...you are leaning headlong into crazy if you think you can find "plenty" of kids that run a 4.3 40 and have a 40 inch vertical. Look at the combine numbers and tell me if the players fitting that criteria, after spending 3, 4 or 5 years in college strength and conditioning program, can run 4.3 and jump 40.

Let's not quibble over ERN's use of the word "plenty." Say "several" or "a bunch" or whatever term you want to use. Say "five," if you think that's accurate - it doesn't matter, because that's not his point. ERN's point is that these measurables are largely irrelevant to the question of whether or not a guy can play football.

• Fire 1

Point being the NFL combine is a complete joke. Do scouts not watch college football? So you're telling me they read combine numbers and assume these kids are supposed to be good because they're fast and can jump high? Skers you obviously don't watch college track, you'd be surprised how athletic and fast some of those kids are, but simply are just that.

Let's not quibble over ERN's use of the word "plenty." Say "several" or "a bunch" or whatever term you want to use. Say "five," if you think that's accurate - it doesn't matter, because that's not his point. ERN's point is that these measurables are largely irrelevant to the question of whether or not a guy can play football.

Wasn't quibbling in the least. I pointed out that a 4.39 or lower 40 and vertical jump of 40+ inches is elite status that very few athletes, even after spending 3-5 years in a college strength and conditioning program can achieve. And when someone says athletes like that are easy to find is simply not true. And measurables are not irrelevant. They are bench marks to which scouts can determine if a player can perform at the necessary level. Now measurables aren't perfect and there definitely are exceptions to the rule, but they are not irrelevant.

He is a perfect example of why the NFL combine means absolutely nothing. I could find plenty of kids that run track that could run a high 4.3 and 40 inch vertical. You have to be good at FOOTBALL!

You know they do more at the combine than run 40 yard dashes right? They actually have position drills, which is the main function of the combine.

Point being the NFL combine is a complete joke. Do scouts not watch college football? So you're telling me they read combine numbers and assume these kids are supposed to be good because they're fast and can jump high? Skers you obviously don't watch college track, you'd be surprised how athletic and fast some of those kids are, but simply are just that.

Honest to entropy, I think this is exactly what some NFL scouts do.

Honest to entropy, I think this is exactly what some NFL scouts do.

Yeah, look at the Raiders.

Watch college football games; watch their film. A few runs and position drills would have no factor on who I am going to draft, but I guess that's just my take on it. Jerry Rice and Tom Brady had awful combine results, but are at the top of the food chain at each position. RG3 goes out and runs a 4.3 (as a QB of all positions) and the Redskins trade their whole damn franchise to get him.

Watch college football games; watch their film. A few runs and position drills would have no factor on who I am going to draft, but I guess that's just my take on it. Jerry Rice and Tom Brady had awful combine results, but are at the top of the food chain at each position. RG3 goes out and runs a 4.3 (as a QB of all positions) and the Redskins trade their whole damn franchise to get him.

To be fair, the RG3 is highly touted because he has had such a successful career in college and has shown potential to be a great NFL QB. After the success that Cam Newton had last year, I think teams are more likely to take athletic QBs from here on out.

haha BIG ERN, are you really suggesting the scouts don't watch game film?

If a guy shows up out of shape at the combine and doesn't put the effort in, you're going to just assume he'll show up to camp in shape and willing to put the work in day in and day out? I doubt it.

Exactly. Look at Jamarcus Russell. The guy showed up to the combine like 6'6" 280 and IIRC didn't even participate. We all know how that turned out.

His position swaps illustrate to me that he was a HELL OF AN ATHLETE just not a good football player. The coaches knew he was a freak, just could not find a position that he could play effectively. God knows they tried; instead of writing him off they wanted to find a way to let him play. I've met Marcus, he's a good natured kid (man now) I don't believe a lack of positive attitude or work ethic was an issue. I believe he just couldn't translate his athleticism to football skills.

If Marcus Mendoza would have stayed at one position his entire career... :dunno

Running track, and having track speed, has almost no correlation to the ability to play football. Your point about the NFL combine being worthless is simply not true. They do drills specific to each postion and those drills give NFL personnel a good look at a prospect's potential for the for next level. It isn't perfect but they get it right most of the time.

Running track, and having track speed, has almost no correlation to the ability to play football. Your point about the NFL combine being worthless is simply not true. They do drills specific to each postion and those drills give NFL personnel a good look at a prospect's potential for the for next level. It isn't perfect but they get it right most of the time.

What ERN is saying is that a college career of work is worth more than some flashy numbers at the combine. It was a joke a couple years ago when the Raiders took Darius Heyward-Bey because of his 40-time instead of grabbing Michael Crabtree who had a great career as a WR in college.