TO 3:30 pressor about Basketball..

Really bummed me out when he started to tear up. It's obvious he cares a lot about this job and this team. He's a genuine person and I hope he finds success wherever he may go. His teams may have not always been consistent, but you couldn't deny his love for the game as well as the university.

It's sad to see Doc have to go like this, but I stand behind Tom and hopefully with these new facilities and overall potential, we can bring in someone who can take us to the next level and be a competitive force in the B1G.

• Fire 2

Really bummed me out when he started to tear up. It's obvious he cares a lot about this job and this team. He's a genuine person and I hope he finds success wherever he may go. His teams may have not always been consistent, but you couldn't deny his love for the game as well as the university.

It's sad to see Doc have to go like this, but I stand behind Tom and hopefully with these new facilities and overall potential, we can bring in someone who can take us to the next level and be a competitive force in the B1G.

+1. I think things would of been different if the facilities were in place earlier in Doc's career. I think the new arena actually put an onus on Doc & staff in that they have to fill seats and enthusiasm was not what it needed to be. I think Doc would do well at SMU and hope he and his entire staff get that job.

• Fire 1

I hate how people get on their soap box when something like this happens. You see a lot when celebrities die, specifically, celebrities with checkered pasts. Nobody gave a damn about Whitney Houston for the last several years, but then she dies and people suddenly give a damn.

Or, how people vilified Paterno for the mistakes he made. If a man as 'good' as Paterno can make such a huge mistake, who are any of us to say (without any doubt) that we would have done something different? I don't think we can.

Same thing here. Although I'm sad to see any person lose their job, the truth of the situation is simple. Sadler's teams were never consistent, they got dominated this year and things have not been progressive. Maybe the players were to blame more than Sadler, but everything ultimately rests on the head coach. If his players aren't getting it done it's a reflection on him, thus he either gets to stay or has to go.

I don't think anyone is questioning that his teams were ever high caliber, or even of an above average caliber. A lot of this support is coming from the fact that Doc is a extraordinarily nice guy, and it's hard to see a guy like him lose a job. Especially considering the fact that he really did everything to his best abilities for this program and especially considering that he really wanted to be here; he really wanted to be the Tom Osborne of Nebrasketball.

And it's a bummer to see it not happen to someone who put in as much as he did.

• Fire 1

I hate how people get on their soap box when something like this happens. You see a lot when celebrities die, specifically, celebrities with checkered pasts. Nobody gave a damn about Whitney Houston for the last several years, but then she dies and people suddenly give a damn.

Or, how people vilified Paterno for the mistakes he made. If a man as 'good' as Paterno can make such a huge mistake, who are any of us to say (without any doubt) that we would have done something different? I don't think we can.

Same thing here. Although I'm sad to see any person lose their job, the truth of the situation is simple. Sadler's teams were never consistent, they got dominated this year and things have not been progressive. Maybe the players were to blame more than Sadler, but everything ultimately rests on the head coach. If his players aren't getting it done it's a reflection on him, thus he either gets to stay or has to go.

I don't think anyone is questioning that his teams were ever high caliber, or even of an above average caliber. A lot of this support is coming from the fact that Doc is a extraordinarily nice guy, and it's hard to see a guy like him lose a job. Especially considering the fact that he really did everything to his best abilities for this program and especially considering that he really wanted to be here; he really wanted to be the Tom Osborne of Nebrasketball.

Technically, if he were to find success, he would have been the Bob Devaney of Nebrasketball. I was always a supporter of Doc in his time here, and it really is too bad that he couldn't win more games the last 2 years.

Like I said earlier, he really did catch a bad break this year with injuries. He said 3 of his top 6 players. The only ones that I can think of are Diaz and Almeida, but I think even just with those 2 guys healthy all season, this season goes a lot differently than it did.

Like so many sentiments expressed here, I too wish Doc well, but am glad Husker basketball is going in a different direction. Remember Vegas predicted us to have only 4 conference wins before the injuries even though we were 2nd in the country in returning experience. So even though the injuries were a factor, his style was not going to change and I believe his style of offense hinders recruiting the types of players we need to be competitive. I would suggest the vacant seats at the Devaney would be magnified at the Pinnacle because his slowdown game wasn't/ isn't conducive to rabid fan support, especially in our situation where we need to jumpstart some enery. Plus, it turns out we weren't all that impressive on the final defensive statistics anyway. jmo

He may be extraordinarily nice, but, this is (unfortunately) completely unrelated to his job and what he's supposed to be doing.

I don't care if our next president is the nicest, humble most pleasant man in the whole world - if he's not a good president then he doesn't deserve the job. Same with coaches, same with CEO's, etc., etc. We retain jobs based on our performance.

I hate to see Sadler leave, too, but I'm not going to proclaim he's being treated unfairly or that he didn't deserve it, like Jeter is doing.

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

There may be "More Than Winning" involved in college athletics but if you're a coach and your team isn't winning enough you'll be gone. I'm sad to see Doc go as well but he was given six seasons to accomplish something and wasn't able to do it. I mean can you imagine basketball schools like Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, Michigan State, etc giving a coach like Doc six years? He'd be gone after two. Doc's a good man and I wish him and his family all the best.

Here's my take on this thing.

I've never had any problem with Doc as a man. He just stunk as a Nebraska Head BB Coach. I've had a bad year too. My business was basically bankrupted by the State of South Dakota. They found ways to deny payments to my company that nhad nothing to do with the fact that services were delivered.

I have lost between $75,000 and $100,000 of my own money that I had hoped to use for my retirement. I payed my employees. We did our jobs and I got screwed.

Doc couldn't coach winning BB and he walks away a millionaire.

Sorry Doc You won't get any sympathy from me.

T_O_B

G>B>R

If he wanted to win so badly, why would he continually recruit guys that couldn't dribble, pass or shoot?

I think Doc is a good guy and all, and would probably be a good coach if he had some D1 talent with which to work.

Unfortunately, he never had any.