How Ohio State fans came to be so obnoxious

NUance

cover-1.jpg

Cracking the Bucknut

How Ohio State fans came to be so obnoxious, and who we should blame for it

by Kyle Swenson, March 14, 2012 NEWS » NEWS FEATURES, http://www.clevescene.com

<radio station caller:> "When you are born and raised in Columbus, you were born a Buckeye fan, no matter what," the caller says over the line, his voice pocketed in static. "Now, the reason why we see it so big up this way, and even the whole state, is because it's The Ohio State University. There is no other university that is better than Ohio State out there, period.

Inside the booth at AM 850-WKNR, there's a beat or two of dead air. It's the last hour of The Really Big Show. Co-host Aaron Goldhammer has his eyes pinched shut, his head shaking from side to side.

<radio jock:>"Wh ... Wha ... What?" he says, cranking out the word bit by bit, lacquering on another layer of sarcasm with each syllable. "What do you mean by that? There's no university that's better than Ohio State? I went to a university that's pretty good, it's NYU. I liked it."

LINK

THE ohio state university fans are THE asshats of the B1G 10.

"We bleed red. Everybody bleeds red. So isnt everybody an Ohio St. fan?" But, Nebraska's red. :blink:

And the pu&&y thing?

That was among their own group of friends. That has never been a cheer at Ohio State that I know of.

And it's an article about the 1% of all fans, just this time centered on Ohio State. I'm pretty sure you can find this exact thing about Husker fans as well.

I actually quite like the Ohio State fans. I had a really good time with all of the visiting Big Ten fans - even the Iowegians - but I think the best time was with the Buckeyes. They are very much like us. They are one of the pillars of college football. They are used to success, and unabashedly expect to win every game they play. They have a bit of arrogance to them, but I can't think of a SINGLE team who's tasted multiple championships who doesn't act this way (that includes us).

Of all the teams and all the fan bases in the Big Ten, the one I most identify with is Ohio State's.

My thoughts:

1. I've never thought that Ohio State fans, the ones actually from Ohio or alumni, are that bad. The ones I've encountered are usually pretty cool people.

2. Ohio State bandwagon fans, you know... the guy from California who's never set foot in Ohio, are some of the worst I've encountered in Collegiate Athletics.

3. I still hate every team Ohio State fields.

4. I still hate Ohioans as a group, I think this comes from my years of living in South Carolina where from March until September they invade in droves of millions driving either 20 miles over or under the speed limit in minivans stuffed with clans of pale poorly dressed, pasty overweight tourists that love either 1. Thinking they're Southern because they vacation in Myrtle Beach/Charleston or 2. Thinking they're better than every Southerner they encounter because they're from Ohio.

4. I still hate Ohioans as a group, I think this comes from my years of living in South Carolina where from March until September they invade in droves of millions driving either 20 miles over or under the speed limit in minivans stuffed with clans of pale poorly dressed, pasty overweight tourists that love either 1. Thinking they're Southern because they vacation in Myrtle Beach/Charleston or 2. Thinking they're better than every Southerner they encounter because they're from Ohio.

This might be one of the most true statements I have seen in a while. I hate Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head Island because of this. Well done.

My thoughts:

1. I've never thought that Ohio State fans, the ones actually from Ohio or alumni, aren't that bad. The ones I've encountered are usually pretty cool people.

2. Ohio State bandwagon fans, you know... the guy from California who's never set foot in Ohio, are some of the worst I've encountered in Collegiate Athletics.

I hate when Ohioans stimulate my economy too. ;)

My thoughts:

1. I've never thought that Ohio State fans, the ones actually from Ohio or alumni, aren't that bad. The ones I've encountered are usually pretty cool people.

I hate when Ohioans stimulate my economy too. ;)

pffffft not my economy anymore but I'll still retain my distaste for them, at least in large groups.

and I'm not alone...http://www.charlesto...ent?oid=1946300

"We bleed red. Everybody bleeds red. So isnt everybody an Ohio St. fan?" But, Nebraska's red. :blink:

And the pu&&y thing?

That was among their own group of friends. That has never been a cheer at Ohio State that I know of.

And it's an article about the 1% of all fans, just this time centered on Ohio State. I'm pretty sure you can find this exact thing about Husker fans as well.

Yes. I know this very well. But seriously. The pu&&y thing?

• Fire 1

And the pu&&y thing?

Yes. I know this very well. But seriously. The pu&&y thing?

Yeah pretty stupid IMO. Like I said, I've never heard of the pu$$y thing.