Full back article

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120315/BIGRED/703159814/-1#fullback-is-hardly-garbage-man-duty

The fullback.

Advertisement

"They're an integral part of our offense," running backs coach Ron Brown said. "We do a lot of two-back football. Last year we really brought it back with a nice rebound. I thought Tyler Legate really did a nice job for his first year in playing that type of system."

Don't be mistaken: Nebraska is still a long way from the days of the fullback trap being a key piece of the game plan. However, Brown is keeping a close eye on the competition this spring to replace the graduated Legate, a two-year starter. Aside from leading the way on isolation runs and headhunting linebackers to spring Rex Burkhead and company, Brown said, his fullbacks often have to "clean up" any mistakes made by the offensive line.

Really excited to see what Marrow can bring to the table, especially in short yardage.

Mike Marrow, the son of Nebraska graduate assistant Vince Marrow, is another option. He transferred to Nebraska from Eastern Michigan after starting his college career at Alabama.

You bet. The Youngstown Mafia is taking control. :thumbs:

Seriously, I think Mike Marrow was a GREAT get for us.

He's a solid FB, but how much will he see the field? We have been talking about using fullbacks for years now and Legate should have gotten the ball more last year IMO. That's after the coaches talking about how much he would

well, after half killing rex, let's hope beck has learned something........

Here's the approach I would take as an offensive coordinator, I'd tell my guys that I'm designing an offense every week to get everyone 4-5 touches a game. If you're hot I'll do what I can to keep feeding you the ball. In other words your execution determines your stats. I would love though to see one of our wide receivers step up and be the guy that every defense fears. Players like Justin Blackmon and Ryan Broyles were not only unstoppable but because they garnered so much attention from the defense it had a natural opening up type of effect for other receivers. Oklahoma's offense went downhill considerably when Broyles got hurt. But still, for three and a half seasons Broyles was what I only wish at this time what our receivers could be.

Its obviously Marrow's position to lose. Anyone with half a brain can see that. Marrow will be WAYYYY better than Legate. I loved Legate but Marrow is gunna be the real deal.

Oh boy, I sure hope so! A vicious, smashmouth fullback is just what the doctor ordered for us.

Sorry to break anyone's heart but I am going to go ahead and just flat out tell you that the fullback will not have a game this year where he runs the ball more than 5 times. Will not happen.

5 would be ok w/ me actually. I'd say the FB won't get any more than 1-2 carries a game. They're lucky to see the field 10 times a game.