Jason Smith knows how to stop Blake Griffin

First of all this was not a visciously hard foul. There was some body contact but if you think Griffin didn't milk this for the cameras guess again. I don't think Smith went in with the intention of putting Griffin on his kester but realized too late he wasn't going to be able to draw the charge. No one is suggesting that basketball become football without pads. It is my opinion that dunking has taken the skill out of the game for most big men and too many players at a young age spend too much time dunking and not enough time on shooting, passing, dribbling and understanding angles and defensive skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQmV7ETxj2I

It looks like Blake wasn't expecting to be challenged on this dunk. I might watch pro basketball more if this happened a few times a game. Let those high risers think their feet might not be the first thing to touch the floor when they come down. Dunking has ruined basketball in general and pro basketball in particular.

As I said earlier in another thread...

"Back in the late 60's the NCAA did a big favor for a young man from New Yorks Power Memorial Academy. They outlawed the dunk in college ball and the then Lew Alcindor developed the 'Sky Hook' a shot that was almost unstopable. The centers in todays college game either dunk the ball or pass the ball back out for a long jump shot. If I was a college coach I'd have a lot of film of Kareem Abdul Jabbar shooting the sky hook over everyone he played against. The kids today, and yes I include Anthony Davis of Kentucky and Ohio States Sullinger just don't have what I would call a quality shot.

T_O_B

G>B>R "

I also don't think the 3 point line has made BB better to watch either.

T_O_B

G>B>R

Pffft way to flop Griffin you big fairy.

Not a fan of the NBA at all.

Used to love it when we had Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West, and on and on and on playing the game. But now they travel all the time, they carry the ball when dribbling, they dunk way too much, they act like jack asses on the court and this incredibly stupid 'one and done rule' bringing in basically uneducated, imature kids into the league has totally turned me off to the NBA. The fact that the NBA has extended its season well into June is also a turn off. College BB will be done in 8 days, that's when the NBA playoffs should start.

T_O_B

G>B>R

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQmV7ETxj2I

It looks like Blake wasn't expecting to be challenged on this dunk. I might watch pro basketball more if this happened a few times a game. Let those high risers think their feet might not be the first thing to touch the floor when they come down. Dunking has ruined basketball in general and pro basketball in particular.

As I said earlier in another thread...

"Back in the late 60's the NCAA did a big favor for a young man from New Yorks Power Memorial Academy. They outlawed the dunk in college ball and the then Lew Alcindor developed the 'Sky Hook' a shot that was almost unstopable. The centers in todays college game either dunk the ball or pass the ball back out for a long jump shot. If I was a college coach I'd have a lot of film of Kareem Abdul Jabbar shooting the sky hook over everyone he played against. The kids today, and yes I include Anthony Davis of Kentucky and Ohio States Sullinger just don't have what I would call a quality shot.

T_O_B

G>B>R "

I also don't think the 3 point line has made BB better to watch either.

T_O_B

G>B>R

I agree completely with the idea that Kareem and centers from 25 years ago were more skilled and had a better rounded game than todays post men. I think the trend toward having big men who only dunk started with Shaq and is today epitomized by Dwight Howard. DH is a gifted athlete who could do so much more if he chose to.

I disagree that the 3 point shot hasn't made basketball better. When basketball was played in the 50's and 60's most of the players were from 6' to 6'6" in height. Seeing a man over 6'8" was rare so the inequity of height wasn't a huge factor. Now it is rare to see anyone on the floor outside of the point guard who is under 6'6". I think the 3 point shot has made the little man a legitmate scoring threat again.