BTN Football Report: Film with Tim Beck on Taylor Martinez

That's probably one of the best sports segments I've seen in a real long time. Most fans can see the surface things that go wrong or right with a play, but few really know everything that goes into what makes a play successful. From the moment the ball is hiked, Martinez and the players have dozens of things to process. We can see even something as basic as his drop back having an effect on how the play works. Small little details that meant an interception instead of a completion.

From those short drills alone, I see marked improvement in Martinez. You can see a huge difference between the Wisconsin clip and the 7v7 clip, and his delivery (although, still not perfect) is more technically savvy.

If he can transition these things he's learned into Saturdays, I think our improvements will be pretty substantial.

• Fire 2

very cool. went back and watched some highlights. sometimes his first step of his drop is with his left foot, other times his right. he's not doing it all the time, just not being consistent. hopefully all of this can be executed game time.

Agreed. Like Beck said, he's has sooo many coaches, each one teaching their own thing. That's gotta be tough.

Little thing I noticed...Abdullah is running with the 1's in highlights. I know Rex is the #1 but I wonder if Abdullah has established himself as #2 or its just happened to be that way.

Just happened to be that way. It's possible he's #2 but there's no way to discuss that just from one little highlight reel, of one play.

Little thing I noticed...Abdullah is running with the 1's in highlights. I know Rex is the #1 but I wonder if Abdullah has established himself as #2 or its just happened to be that way.

I noticed this too. I then started thinking how I don't think I've seen Rex running plays in any of the Nebraska On Demand videos I've watched. I thought of it was strange because last year they showed clips of him more often as he's kind of the face of our program right now.

Just happened to be that way. It's possible he's #2 but there's no way to discuss that just from one little highlight reel, of one play.

What are you talking about? We determined that Nebraska is going to be lucky to go 7-5 based on one still photo from the first day of spring practice.

• Fire 2

Unfortunately this video doesn't bring up the obvious problem. There's no pressure on those throws. I'm not worried about what a guy does when he's not facing a pass rush. If he has the luxury of thinking and remembering all of his recent coaching, I'm sure he'll play fine. But what he does when he's not thinking, when he's reacting to a blitz or throwing on the run, is where all this teaching is going to succeed or fail. Spring Game should give us a slightly better picture, and hopefully we get some good reports out of scrimmages.

Unfortunately this video doesn't bring up the obvious problem. There's no pressure on those throws. I'm not worried about what a guy does when he's not facing a pass rush. If he has the luxury of thinking and remembering all of his recent coaching, I'm sure he'll play fine. But what he does when he's not thinking, when he's reacting to a blitz or throwing on the run, is where all this teaching is going to succeed or fail. Spring Game should give us a slightly better picture, and hopefully we get some good reports out of scrimmages.

Agreed. This is where muscle memory becomes very important. I'm sure there will always been times when Taylor resorts back to bad form when he's under distress, but limiting those instances is what the goal should be. I don't think he'll ever look like Drew Brees out there.

I agree that 7 on 7 drills doesn't really inform us much on how Martinez reacts to pressure, but if Beck's and DiNardo's analysis is accurate, Martinez should be better off simply from getting better pocket depth. They did discuss how he wasn't getting enough depth last year, and as a result he would feel pressure much sooner than he should have. Now he's getting better depth, so the hope is that he'll feel more comfortable, which will give our receivers time to get into their routes, which will result in better timing and better accuracy (as long as the offensive line does its job).

I agree that 7 on 7 drills doesn't really inform us much on how Martinez reacts to pressure, but if Beck's and DiNardo's analysis is accurate, Martinez should be better off simply from getting better pocket depth. They did discuss how he wasn't getting enough depth last year, and as a result he would feel pressure much sooner than he should have. Now he's getting better depth, so the hope is that he'll feel more comfortable, which will give our receivers time to get into their routes, which will result in better timing and better accuracy (as long as the offensive line does its job).

That's a great point. Even if he's just in the right spot, the play goes on longer, the receivers get open at the right time, and he's probably going to complete more throws just because of that. If we can limit the drops and make the most of whatever percentage of throws Taylor gets, the passing game could be functional enough to take some of the load from Rex, which is good enough for this year. Taylor as a senior is what I'm really excited to see.