Psychology book circulating through team

gbr93

Sports Psychology is more important that people think, and we had one of the best in the nation during the 1990s when we had our infamous run.

I can't remember his name, but our Sports Psychologist left the program (to retire IIRC) during the Callahan regime, and when people keep bringing up concerns about Nebraska's mental preparedness and overall stability for games, I keep thinking about how the AD may not have the right replacement for the Sports Psychologist that we lost.

BTW, any help with the name would be appreciated--I swear, my Alzheimers is acting up bad today.

Sports Psychology is more important that people think, and we had one of the best in the nation during the 1990s when we had our infamous run.

I can't remember his name, but our Sports Psychologist left the program (to retire IIRC) during the Callahan regime, and when people keep bringing up concerns about Nebraska's mental preparedness and overall stability for games, I keep thinking about how the AD may not have the right replacement for the Sports Psychologist that we lost.

BTW, any help with the name would be appreciated--I swear, my Alzheimers is acting up bad today.

Jack Stark. Started the Unity council following the 1990 season when Osborne demanded they have a psychological edge.

Jack Stark. Started the Unity council following the 1990 season when Osborne demanded they have a psychological edge.

so who is running this show now and i am wondering if the function now is anything like it was back then?.....anyone have insight on this?

so who is running this show now and i am wondering if the function now is anything like it was back then?.....anyone have insight on this?

Burkhead (as far as the unity council is concerned I think) - or were u talking about a psychologist?

Athletic Medicine Staff Offers Help in Psychiatry and Mental Health

Nebraska Athletics has assembled a professional team that includes Dr. Larry Widman, Dr. Todd Stull, Dr. Jennifer Bruning-Brown and John Goldrich. The team features both quality and depth in sports performance psychiatry, psychology and mental health services offered under the department’s Athletic Medicine Program.

Dr. Stull and Dr. Widman are beginning their fifth year as sport psychiatry consultants for the athletic department, and their efforts are complemented by Dr. Jennifer Bruning-Brown, a research psychologist, and John Goldrich, a licensed mental health practitioner.

Stull and Widman specialize in sport psychiatry and addiction psychiatry and can be reached through Jackie Wilken in Dr. Lonnie Albers’ office (402-472-2276 or jwilken@huskers.com ).

Stull and Widman’s expertise is enhancing a student-athlete’s ability to stay process-focused to maximize performance. The process includes planning and goal setting, composure, confidence, concentration, and commitment. Stull and Widman also confidentially treat mental health and addiction problems.

Burkhead (as far as the unity council is concerned I think) - or were u talking about a psychologist?

Athletic Medicine Staff Offers Help in Psychiatry and Mental Health

Nebraska Athletics has assembled a professional team that includes Dr. Larry Widman, Dr. Todd Stull, Dr. Jennifer Bruning-Brown and John Goldrich. The team features both quality and depth in sports performance psychiatry, psychology and mental health services offered under the department’s Athletic Medicine Program.

Dr. Stull and Dr. Widman are beginning their fifth year as sport psychiatry consultants for the athletic department, and their efforts are complemented by Dr. Jennifer Bruning-Brown, a research psychologist, and John Goldrich, a licensed mental health practitioner.

Stull and Widman specialize in sport psychiatry and addiction psychiatry and can be reached through Jackie Wilken in Dr. Lonnie Albers’ office (402-472-2276 or jwilken@huskers.com ).

Stull and Widman’s expertise is enhancing a student-athlete’s ability to stay process-focused to maximize performance. The process includes planning and goal setting, composure, confidence, concentration, and commitment. Stull and Widman also confidentially treat mental health and addiction problems.

wow, who would question a job description and posistion like these folks? errrr.......maybe they need to reevaluate?

I dont wanna sound like a know it all but I just recall watching a documentary on NET once about Osborne. Dont know exactly which one it is. But remember a part about following the 1990 season, which was quite dissappointing, and I think it ended with two lopsided losses. I remember Jack Stark as the interviewee (this was made following Osbornes retirement) and Jack stating how Osborne came to him following the year wanting to know what they could do and how fast they could gain an edge. Jack said it could develop and take a few years but Osborne wanted the results immediately. I remember it led to the the team having little red stickers on their helmets for the 91 season with "unity" on them. This unity council became a mainstream tool for the football program, but Callahan scrapped it when he came in as far as I recall. When Bo was hired, I believe Ron Brown's hiring was to have a hand in the psychee of the team. He reinstated the unity council, tho I dont believe it gets as much pub now because it's not as revolutionary as it was when Osborne and Stark did it.

No. I was wondering mainly why it was important enough to have a story on a recruiting website about it. Wasn't sure if it was just a way the team is trying to come together more as a family or what the deal was.

There's nothing wrong with the post. Enhance is just being crotchety.

Now that I understand what he's talking about, it makes sense. I initially thought it was something negative because post #2 mentioned scandals - got genuinely confused about what was going on.

Thank you. :)

all interesting stuff, but i wonder how or what is being done to get our "edge" back?........you know, being sharp, eliminating the mental errors, etc.

i love those staff jobs that every program needs to "fill out" the organizational chart, but.........where's the pay back?

I think it's why we've been reading about some pretty drastic changes in overall management of the team this past offseason like putting more ownership on the players etc. Heck, it took Osborne 20 years to perfect his system, and he has a phd in psychology. So I think Bo is gradully learning little tricks to the trade. I know he has T.O. to ask but at some point you want to do it yourself. As far as accountability and ownership going to the players, this will be Bo's first team of 100% his recruits, his guys, as well as 100% his staff, so I'm sure that makes is much easier for him to spread around the resposibilities now that the team is 100% his people. Not to mention, sometimes it takes a season like last year with some blowout losses and really frustrating moments to realize that changes of operation need to be made. I was young, but I remember the end of 1990. A 45-10 loss @ Oklahoma and another blowout loss to Georgia Tech, and it was like what the hell is going on, and the innovation that resulted led to the greatest run in history. Maybe we'll see it again?

all interesting stuff, but i wonder how or what is being done to get our "edge" back?........you know, being sharp, eliminating the mental errors, etc.

i love those staff jobs that every program needs to "fill out" the organizational chart, but.........where's the pay back?

I think it's why we've been reading about some pretty drastic changes in overall management of the team this past offseason like putting more ownership on the players etc. Heck, it took Osborne 20 years to perfect his system, and he has a phd in psychology. So I think Bo is gradully learning little tricks to the trade. I know he has T.O. to ask but at some point you want to do it yourself. As far as accountability and ownership going to the players, this will be Bo's first team of 100% his recruits, his guys, as well as 100% his staff, so I'm sure that makes is much easier for him to spread around the resposibilities now that the team is 100% his people. Not to mention, sometimes it takes a season like last year with some blowout losses and really frustrating moments to realize that changes of operation need to be made. I was young, but I remember the end of 1990. A 45-10 loss @ Oklahoma and another blowout loss to Georgia Tech, and it was like what the hell is going on, and the innovation that resulted led to the greatest run in history. Maybe we'll see it again?

thanks for the info.....it makes sense, at this point i guess we just sit back and watch.........