Offensive Line

Arod is playing the left side based off of the article I just read. (Pelini said he is playing opposite of Qvale.). Good article and backups what girlknowsfootball said. I like the fact that they are working the younger players more. Means the program is developing.

http://my.journalsta...ow_up_well.html

The OWH says he is at RG.

I believe Qvale is the backup at LT and Arod is the backup at RT.

Oops meant to say OWH says Arot at RT. Sheez I am terrible.

I think Cotton should play tackle. I think we have good depth at Guard but not as much at tackle. I like the shorter squatty types at guard & center.

Also Pelini mentioned that Green ran tough in one of the scrimmages so he is picking up his game in between the tackles.

Our OL is fine and so is our coach(es). Barney and Beck are on the same page schematically which makes a huge difference. Barney's style simply didn't mesh with Shawn Watson's soft, passive, west coast style. Bo and the rest of the offensive coaches have really addressed the OL depth issues through the past three years of recruiting and continue to look for high quality players that fit what they want to do offensively. We had a young OL last season with one true freshman, a couple of redshirt freshman, and three former walk-ons getting most of the snaps. Now with the offensive philosophy finally settled and entering the 2nd year with the same offense we're going to see the OL get better and better. And in truth, our OL actually played pretty well all last year and we can expect even further improvement.

:koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: ......i'll have another.......... :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2:

I want to clarify one thing: I'm certainly not happy or satisfied with the way the OL played at times last season. The false starts, penalties, etc were drive and momentum killers. But I saw enough improvement with a young OL to come to the conclusion that going forward this offense, and OL, can become something very special. Hopefully we'll see that continued upward trend of improvement as we get more experienced veterans along the OL. Then it becomes a matter of plugging guys who have had the luxury of sitting for a redshirt year and "growing" into the system so that by the time they're redshirt sophomores and/or juniors they're ready both physically and mentally. We talk about the OL under TO and it seems that too many people forget how long TO and Milt worked together. That's something that can't have a price tag. We'll get there we just need to be patient and not scream the sky is falling when one thing goes wrong.

Our OL is fine and so is our coach(es). Barney and Beck are on the same page schematically which makes a huge difference. Barney's style simply didn't mesh with Shawn Watson's soft, passive, west coast style. Bo and the rest of the offensive coaches have really addressed the OL depth issues through the past three years of recruiting and continue to look for high quality players that fit what they want to do offensively. We had a young OL last season with one true freshman, a couple of redshirt freshman, and three former walk-ons getting most of the snaps. Now with the offensive philosophy finally settled and entering the 2nd year with the same offense we're going to see the OL get better and better. And in truth, our OL actually played pretty well all last year and we can expect even further improvement.

:koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: ......i'll have another.......... :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2: :koolaid2:

I want to clarify one thing: I'm certainly not happy or satisfied with the way the OL played at times last season. The false starts, penalties, etc were drive and momentum killers. But I saw enough improvement with a young OL to come to the conclusion that going forward this offense, and OL, can become something very special. Hopefully we'll see that continued upward trend of improvement as we get more experienced veterans along the OL. Then it becomes a matter of plugging guys who have had the luxury of sitting for a redshirt year and "growing" into the system so that by the time they're redshirt sophomores and/or juniors they're ready both physically and mentally. We talk about the OL under TO and it seems that too many people forget how long TO and Milt worked together. That's something that can't have a price tag. We'll get there we just need to be patient and not scream the sky is falling when one thing goes wrong.

That's right. Add to that the fact that our good Oline recruiting the last couple of years should start paying dividends this year. Having talent, depth & a strong walkon program is something we haven't had in a long, long time.

Yoshi (senior), Caputo (senior), Jones (senior) say hello.

It's been documented several times that we had some lean years in recruiting for OL and had some injuries. We are getting past that now. I also agree that Beck's style is more conducive to the current OL coaches. I will also say that having 2 coaches is better than 1. I think it will help tremendously to run more practice stations for the OL. Repetition, repetition repetition. I think we will be getting back to reloading because of this philosophy.

Personally I think OL is a spot where walkon's can make a mark more than any other position. It's not like a skill position. You can develop power and you can build size to a degree. OL is about hard work, plus good technique. You don't have to be a super athlete to play OL. It helps and it's great if you are but I played basketball against some of the OL years ago (scholarship and walkon's) and they weren't all that athletic. They were good football players though.

I've seen a few people say they think Beck's offense is better formulated for our current line coaches. I'm interested to see a more developed opinion on this - why do you guys think so? Is it because of Cotton's background the run game, and his assistant's backgrounds with running the football?

Not saying I disagree or agree, just curious where this line of thinking comes from and if you think it will still matter given that Pelini wants to run a more balanced offense this next year.

I've seen a few people say they think Beck's offense is better formulated for our current line coaches. I'm interested to see a more developed opinion on this - why do you guys think so? Is it because of Cotton's background the run game, and his assistant's backgrounds with running the football?

Not saying I disagree or agree, just curious where this line of thinking comes from and if you think it will still matter given that Pelini wants to run a more balanced offense this next year.

Callahan and Watson offensive scheme rarely if ever blocked the LBs and DBs. The west coast offense, as practiced by Callahan and Watson, was predicated on blocking the DL and then it was the RB's job to get through the hole and make the LB or DB miss to gain extra yards. Barney and Bo's offensive line scheme mirrors Tom and Milt's in that they account for everybody on defense or at least the front seven and possibly the SS or FS depending on which side the play is going. I want to stress that this is strictly my opinion here formed by reading articles from the Omaha World Herald, Lincoln Journal Star, and other sources on our coaching staff both previous and present, combined with my knowledge of x's and o's and watching the games.

Callahan and Watson offensive scheme rarely if ever blocked the LBs and DBs. The west coast offense, as practiced by Callahan and Watson, was predicated on blocking the DL and then it was the RB's job to get through the hole and make the LB or DB miss to gain extra yards. Barney and Bo's offensive line scheme mirrors Tom and Milt's in that they account for everybody on defense or at least the front seven and possibly the SS or FS depending on which side the play is going. I want to stress that this is strictly my opinion here formed by reading articles from the Omaha World Herald, Lincoln Journal Star, and other sources on our coaching staff both previous and present, combined with my knowledge of x's and o's and watching the games.

Not that I know anything, but that seems completely ridiculous to me. You got five offensive linemen, add a tight end or two depending on the formation, and all those guys are only blocking the 3/4 guys on the dline? What are the wide receivers doing instead of blocking the corners standing in front of um?

Not that I know anything, but that seems completely ridiculous to me. You got five offensive linemen, add a tight end or two depending on the formation, and all those guys are only blocking the 3/4 guys on the dline? What are the wide receivers doing instead of blocking the corners standing in front of um?

I know it sounds ridiculous but I tend to think it's true because the philosophy of most west coast running games is the one cut and go. Meaning the back gets the ball, flows with the line, finds the hole and hits it to get upfield. Whereas Barney and Bo have plays designed for actual holes for the back to run through. It's a relatively small difference to the average fan but schematically it is night and day. Callahan and Watson also had their OL stepping laterally at the snap. Barney and Bo have their OL firing off the ball. Again, I want to stress this is strictly my opinion based on watching the games. I'd need to see actual film to confirm or deny.

I could have seen ARod moving to center before I could see him moving to tackle. Just something that seemed to make a little more sense to me since we already have Sirles at the other tackle spot opposite of Moore.

We need 4 OT's without a drop off. With the Rodriguez move, we've now got Moore, Sirles, A-Rod, Qvale all as guys 6'6" or taller, over 300lbs, all with playing experience. That gives us a really good 2 deep.

We also need 4 OG's without a drop off. With Long, Choi, Thompson and some other very talented young guys (Reeves, Klachko, Price, Thurston, Whitaker) we have depth at the OG position as well.

We need 2 C's without a drop off. Pensick and Jackson will be these guys.

With that being said, our O-Line will have a solid 2-deep this year with a lot of young guys right behind them on the come. As one of the BIG 10 announcers said, Nebraska has 23 O-Linemen on the roster right now. That's the most of any Big 10 school they have visited this spring... one of the schools had as few as 8 on the roster.

The oline has looked like crap during practice even though they supposedly have depth. Maybe this will be the year barney has to go after the oline underperforms once again under this incompetent sponge. FYI, they are using a base of 10 plays with variations off of those plays to try to simplify the offense. Don't expect much from Carnes since he doesn't have the mental capacity to learn the offense. Taylor has had a little smoother delivery, but still has no pocket presence and makes the same bad decisions that he has made the last two years. For example in on scrimmage with 1's vs 1's he threw 6 ints. I'm hoping that means we have really good DB's, but I don't trust Taylor.

The reinstatement of the walk on program the last few years is starting to pay off again. When one or two walk ons become a serious contender for playing time you acquire depth at a position without waiting for the next 'young' scholarship player to develop or not having to 'throw' them into the mix when they aren't ready.

Excellent point and well said. It helps.....

Hhhhhhmmmmm can you let me know what year it was that NU stopped accepting walk ons? Must have missed it, thanks.

Having to resort to using walk ons means that you can't judge talent worth a crap and we don't have any scholly players that are good enough to play. I have never understood why the fan base overrates walk ons so much. And FYI NU never stop accepting walk ons, they were reduced during the Solich era due to the NCAA rules on cutting back GA's. It was kept at the same level ever since.

Having to resort to using walk ons means that you can't judge talent worth a crap and we don't have any scholly players that are good enough to play. I have never understood why the fan base overrates walk ons so much. And FYI NU never stop accepting walk ons, they were reduced during the Solich era due to the NCAA rules on cutting back GA's. It was kept at the same level ever since.

Which we all know is a load of crap since Callahan flat came out and said he was taking less walk-ons because he wanted a more "managable" roster.

BTW that was some pretty deep covert op info you just passed on there. My salt water aquarium guy must not have the same Level 4 Husker Clearance as yours.

Which we all know is a load of crap since Callahan flat came out and said he was taking less walk-ons because he wanted a more "managable" roster.

BTW that was some pretty deep covert op info you just passed on there. My salt water aquarium guy must not have the same Level 4 Husker Clearance as yours.

100% on the money.

The glorious heights of total ignorance by some are truly epic to say the very least. J. Makovicka, J. Jamrog, J. Peter, J. Tomich, A. Henery, D. Nelson, J. Williams, J. Redwine, K. Larson. IM Hipp.......jeeesh, the list goes on forever. NU fans that can't begin to comprehend why walk-ons are rated & respected so highly with NU cfb now and for several decades are simply hopeless.

Clownahan made several downgrading remarks regarding our tradition of walk-ons and showed no respect for Nebraska's cfb traditions. Just one more reason he was a colossal failure.