NU Wildcats vs NU Huskers at Rocky Miller Park

Rough On the Huskers

Though Northwestern and Nebraska are meeting on the diamond for the first time since Nebraska joined the Big Ten, a number Wildcat teams have already posted memorable wins over Husker squads this season. The first came Nov. 5 when the Northwestern football team went into Lincoln and posted a 28-25 victory over No. 9 Nebraska. The second big win came Nov. 26 when the NU volleyball team took down the second-ranked and Big Ten champion Huskers in four sets in Evanston (25-20, 9-25, 25-21, 25-23). The Wildcats' men's basketball team posted an 84-74 win in the only meeting between the squads Feb. 2, while the women's team earned a 63-51 win over the 16th-ranked Huskers in Lincoln Feb. 16.

This quote just makes me ill. We simply gave away the football, WBB, volleyball and baseball games against these guys. I dare say we overlooked them each time, although I can't be certain about baseball. Just sickening.

Not sure if we overlooked them, but I'm not surprised we lost the series. After losing the 4th game to La. Tech (after piling 42 runs on them in the previous three games) and the 2nd game to Northern Colorado (after dump trucking them the 1st game), I had the feeling that we might be playing down to teams we're supposed to beat. If this is the case, then maybe losing to Northwestern was best for this team's psyche so that they can approach the rest of the schedule with more urgency. Whatever the case is, the conference crown is still within reach along with an at-large bid, but their margin of error is much smaller than it was before playing Northwestern.

HH, Purdue is currently projected at the #8 National Seed, a host spot for the regionals and supers... still think we are the best? I hope you're right, I just think it'll be tough to beat Purdue.

havoc, yes

Yes because we have them home

Yes because after we meet at hawks both teams should win their remaining series and be seated 1 and 2 in the tourney.

Yes because I think our bullpen is deeper and therefore we stand a better chance at winning the conference haul. I also think we have more to gain by winning it.

Our remaining schedule shown below and our current record is 20 - 11. In viewing the remaining schedule I find it difficult for the skers to reach 40 wins before the conference tourney begins. Realistically speaking I see 39 wins at best. (going 19 - 6 over the next 25) My questions are;

• How many believe we get an at large if we win the remaining conference series?
  • Can we lose the conference series to Purdue and get an at large without winning the conference tourney provided we reach the championship game? (giving us 42/43 wins, 19/20 loses)
  • Can the BIG get 3 teams into the post season "if" Nebraska wins the Purdue series as well as the other conference series, Purdue wins all but the huskers series and say Illinois wins the conference tourney.
  • Lastly, is 39 wins a realistic number?

Losses in red

---------------------------

(skers sweep)

Fri, Apr 06 Iowa *

Sat, Apr 07 Iowa *

Sun, Apr 08 Iowa *

(skers win)

Tue, Apr 10 Creighton

(skers take the series 2-1)

Fri, Apr 13 Ohio State *

Sat, Apr 14 Ohio State *

Sun, Apr 15 Ohio State *

Fri, Apr 20 Purdue *

Sat, Apr 21 Purdue *

Sun, Apr 22 Purdue *

(skers lose)

Tue, Apr 24 Creighton

Fri, Apr 27 CSU Bakersfield

Sat, Apr 28 CSU Bakersfield

Sun, Apr 29 CSU Bakersfield

(skers take the series)

Sat, May 05 Indiana *

Sun, May 06 Indiana *

Mon, May 07 Indiana *

(skers win)

Tue, May 08 Creighton

(skers sweep)

Fri, May 11 Minnesota *

Sat, May 12 Minnesota (Parent's Day) *

Sun, May 13 Minnesota (Senior Day) *

(skers win)

Tue, May 15 Wichita State

Thu, May 17 Michigan *

Fri, May 18 Michigan *

Sat, May 19 Michigan *

I take the Northwestern losses in stride.

1. The fact the games were played in front of less then high school attendance.

2. The cold weather

3. The High School Ball Park...

4. All the above making it nearly impossible to get emotionally up for the game

Sorry............while all of the above may have a smidgen of merit...........they are still EXCUSES !

If we fancy ourselves conference championship worthy..............we can't use small crowds, bad weather or a poor field as rationale for losing...

Winners WIN...........losers find excuses !

We should be better than that.

And yet... I didn't hear Coach Erstad (the one we have to be concerned about having those issues) make those comments. I think the team knows that and focuses on doing what they need to do. That's what I get out of Coach Erstad every time he talks, which I think is why he has such a strong following so early. No excuses, just results. Can't wait to see the guys get back at it this weekend!

And yet... I didn't hear Coach Erstad (the one we have to be concerned about having those issues) make those comments. I think the team knows that and focuses on doing what they need to do. That's what I get out of Coach Erstad every time he talks, which I think is why he has such a strong following so early. No excuses, just results. Can't wait to see the guys get back at it this weekend!

Agree with all that. I didn't hear coaches OR players making excuses...............and we as fans should not either............jmo

after last nights performance I'm with you havoc. Not sure if the players are that interested in post season play but I damn well know the fans are. Last nights game was pathetic and it made me wonder if the BIG broadcast is jinxing us. Are the athletes forgetting the fundamentals in hopes of making the highlights with a stellar play? (Farmer's and Chad's errant throws) Also, where the heck did our sticks go? We looked pathetic last night and finally, why did Bolt hold the runner at third? If he's sent we score and who knows, extra innings maybe?