NU Wildcats vs NU Huskers at Rocky Miller Park

Call me a skeptic or someone with no faith but I can't be called a liar. Truth is, Northwestern has had our number in nearly every sport. They beat us in Football, in Volleyball, in both men's and women's basketball.

The old ballpark. Chain link backstop and all. Including no lights.

rocky-miller-450x293.jpg

From the Northwestern athletic site:

Rough On the Huskers

Though Northwestern and Nebraska are meeting on the diamond for the first time since Nebraska joined the Big Ten, a number Wildcat teams have already posted memorable wins over Husker squads this season. The first came Nov. 5 when the Northwestern football team went into Lincoln and posted a 28-25 victory over No. 9 Nebraska. The second big win came Nov. 26 when the NU volleyball team took down the second-ranked and Big Ten champion Huskers in four sets in Evanston (25-20, 9-25, 25-21, 25-23). The Wildcats' men's basketball team posted an 84-74 win in the only meeting between the squads Feb. 2, while the women's team earned a 63-51 win over the 16th-ranked Huskers in Lincoln Feb. 16.

They seem to have our number and I'm concerned. They resurfaced their ball park. Yes its a park that many high schools game in but its new to them. They have some seriously skilled starting pitching and they seemingly have our number. Factor in that it may be a difficult task to get our young men focused to play in a HS atmosphere and suddenly things appear to be more challenging. Here's hoping the team plays with the fire that Erstad seems to breath in his every word.

I'm concerned enough that I think I'll take my gf's advice and not actually listen. This will keep me from coming on here and making an arse of myself. It will also keep my blood pressure down and maybe extend my life a little. Yes I love my skers, yes baseball is by far my favorite skers sport but these cardiac, come from behind wins are tough on this old man's heart.

Good Luck to our boys

and...

G.B.R.

its a beautiful backdrop though, isnt it? I think our boys realize that it doesnt matter who they are playing, that they have to go out there and fight to the end. I think the UNC game they lost was an eye opener. Erstad was quoted as saying that the team scared him a bit before and during the KSUX game, because they were so fired up. He said that was the most excitement and fire he had seen out of his guys so far this year. I think that loss against UNC lit a fire under their butts. I dont see them putting themselves in a place where they dont take a team seriously, No matter the opponent or ballpark.

Head Coach Paul Stevens is in his 25th season at Northwestern and his team enters Friday's game with an 8-14 overall record and a 1-2 record in the Big Ten after opening conference play at Iowa last weekend.

This weekend will mark Northwestern's first home game at Rocky Miller Park after playing its first 22 games on the road.

The Wildcats pitching staff has been its strong point on the season with a team ERA of 4.05. Every starter the Huskers will see this weekend have an ERA under 4.00, including Friday night's starter, Francis Brooke, who bolsters a 1.77 ERA.

Nebraska - Northwestern

Fri., March 30 - 3 p.m.: Jr. Tom Lemke (RHP, 2-2) vs. Northwestern - Sr. Francis Brooke (RHP, 1-1)

Sat., March 31 - 1 p.m.: So. Jon Keller (RHP, 3-0) vs. Northwestern - Fr. Brandon Magallones (RHP, 4-0)

Sun., April 1 - 1 p.m.: So. Zach Hirsch (LHP, 3-1) vs. Northwestern - Jr. Zach Morton (RHP, 0-5)

This in one thing Coach Erstad is trying to instill in these guys, come to the ballpark and compete hard everyday. We cannot afford to play up or down to our competition. We need to give full effort as we may not have the best athletes on the field but we need to reach a point where we are the hardest workers and the smartest team out there. Baseball is a sport where these attributes have a huge impact on outcomes. Come on guys lets go into Evanston and get a series sweep!

Northwestern has the worst early season RPI in the conference as they are sitting at 268. In comparison Nebraska is sitting at 42, Ohio St is 41 and Purdue is 11. These types of series wins are not only necessary for building confidence but are a killer if you would happen to lose a game or two in terms of trying to get yourself ready to get an at large bid to the NCAA tourney if you would happen to get beat in the tourney.

Go get it guys.

GBR!

Three things--one, people seem to think that the only thing the NCAA looks at is RPI, and that's it, and that's not been the case. They look at a lot of intangibles, including fan support, in deciding whether or not a program will get an invite. As long as we're one of the top two or three programs during the season and are north of 40 wins, we'll be fine.

Two, the title of the thread is completely wrong--it should be the "Fighting Erstads at the Fighting Wildcats", if you've been following along in the other threads this season.

And three, it's nice to see a post from HuskerHacker that isn't completely crapping on Nebraska, but instead is only marginally doing so. I think we can call this progress.

I just called the ticket office to ask if fans would be allowed to carry in lawn chairs to sit in and was informed yes. I asked if there were many (if any) husker fan's calling and was informed there was but not a significant amount. I asked if the game was sold out and she laughed saying baseball sellouts never happen therefore my question about lawn chairs had no relevance but... if I wanted to bring one to the ball park I could as they are permissible.

I'm hoping the chicago husker fan's will fill the stadium in red.