Taylor will be on the Big 10 Football Report Tonight

What we need to avoid is what happened in the MSU game, where Martinez didn't complete a single pass in the first half and had one interception. Attribute that to what you will. I don't think that was all Martinez' fault, but it's definitely something that can't happen.

I still think Martinez plays well enough to win us games. There isn't a single game we played last year that we lost because of Martinez. He had rough patches like every other player. He obviously just gets scrutinized more because he's the most prominent player on the field and the one easiest to critique.

it's a team sport, no doubt about it..... and Rex is the only one i can think of that brought his A game consistently through out the season....

What we need to avoid is what happened in the MSU game, where Martinez didn't complete a single pass in the first half and had one interception. Attribute that to what you will. I don't think that was all Martinez' fault, but it's definitely something that can't happen.

I still think Martinez plays well enough to win us games. There isn't a single game we played last year that we lost because of Martinez. He had rough patches like every other player. He obviously just gets scrutinized more because he's the most prominent player on the field and the one easiest to critique.

it's a team sport, no doubt about it..... and Rex is the only one i can think of that brought his A game consistently through out the season....

Exactly, and even Rex struggled once in a while. Fresno St. for example, 15 carries 55 yards or Northwestern 22 carries for 65 yards.

He was banged up, but Rex fumbled away a TD against Northwestern. So did Enunwa.

He was banged up, but Rex fumbled away a TD against Northwestern. So did Enunwa.

true, they played him half to death before the NW game.....he gave his all, he was beat to hell and still played hard.

Burkhead wasn't a saint last year. By suggestion of another forum poster, I rewatched some games from last year, specifically focusing on Burkhead's pass pro skills. There were a lot of times last year where he performed less than desirably in this area, including some very bad, straight up miffs.

Burkhead plays as hard as anyone on the team and is solid runner. But, like everybody else, he has things to work on. This isn't meant to be argumentative, but to instead reinforce that Martinez was not a major problem last year.

• Fire 1

Burkhead wasn't a saint last year. By suggestion of another forum poster, I rewatched some games from last year, specifically focusing on Burkhead's pass pro skills. There were a lot of times last year where he performed less than desirably in this area, including some very bad, straight up miffs.

Burkhead plays as hard as anyone on the team and is solid runner. But, like everybody else, he has things to work on. This isn't meant to be argumentative, but to instead reinforce that Martinez was not a major problem last year.

No he wasn't. Mental errors by the OL: false starts, missing blocks, holding, etc, dropped passes by the WRs, soft patty-caking lazy DL play were all far more egregious than Taylor's play. In most games Taylor was playing hard and really trying to win and other positional groups were half-arsing it. Taylor isn't perfect but you're right, he was far from the being the real or only problem last season. The people who blame Taylor exclusively are probably the ones who still blame Matt O' Hanlon for the blown coverage and loss to Virginia Tech in Blacksburg a couple of years ago.

• Fire 1

His interviews are always so ridiculously short, but I think he's afraid to divulge any information to the media. Have to say though, with previous lashing attacks from writers like Dirk Chatelain, I can't say I blame him for being a little hesitant.

That's because when he does talk, some fans go full retard and cherry pick partial quotes and use them out of context to fit their pre-determined agenda.

....and then they'll bitch and whine about that for months via 1,000 threads that are rehashed over & over & over. :rolleyes:

true, they played him half to death before the NW game.....he gave his all, he was beat to hell and still played hard.

Sure, when Rex has an off game it's ok because he "played hard" (like Texas 2010) but when Tmart does it's because he s*cks. I get it.

Just like when the Oline plays well it's due to Garrison/Stai and when it doesn't it's because Barney s*cks. No problem.

Sure, when Rex has an off game it's ok because he "played hard" (like Texas 2010) but when Tmart does it's because he s*cks. I get it.

Just like when the Oline plays well it's due to Garrison/Stai and when it doesn't it's because Barney s*cks. No problem.

Yup... like clockwork.

Rex gets a pass because he used up his quota of 1 fumble the entire year against NW. I think most fans can look the other way when your workhorse takes the beating he did all year and only coughs it up once.

Taylor's passing was more consistent and more serviceable than the receivers catching the ball for most of the season. Truth.

I'd say both should share some blame but the receivers get off easier than Taylor does. The bulk of Taylor's passes are catchable, not perfect but catchable. Because it's Taylor blame for drops of "little off but catchable" balls goes on him where if it was Matt Barkley making the toss it goes on the receiver.

Taylor's passing was more consistent and more serviceable than the receivers catching the ball for most of the season. Truth.

I'd say both should share some blame but the receivers get off easier than Taylor does. The bulk of Taylor's passes are catchable, not perfect but catchable. Because it's Taylor blame for drops of "little off but catchable" balls goes on him where if it was Matt Barkley making the toss it goes on the receiver.

Yep. Simple case of people seeing what they want to see. Often, people look at the end result, which is fair, because that's what matters most - was it caught? But a lot of times, the beginning and middle are forgotten. Was the exchange clean from center to qb? Did the qb drop back far enough? Did the receiver run his route correctly? Did the defender disrupt the route? The list goes on.

I'm generally of the opinion that if it hits both of your hands, you catch it. There are some exceptions, especially if the throw was particularly errant.

Taylor plays the game to win. I think that is pretty obvious. He is not lazy, and plays hard every down. I think every year he has studied film to find deficiencies, and work on them. Every year he has been here I would say those deficiencies have been less because of the work and coaching that that Taylor has done. People have to quit blaming him for all of the losses. I think there are many areas on the team that needs work. That being said I really hope in the future we will be able to get more QB's that will need less work on throwing mechanics, and footwork, but I am pretty sure that is every teams wish.

• Fire 1