Davison: Huskers won't win with only in-state talent

There is some good talent in state. Trouble is Nebraska never gets those kids.

When ever there has been a solid in state player places like Texas, Iowa St and now Iowa have won the battles. That HAS to stop. Miles needs to lock up the borders for what little talent it does produce. IMO 3 out of 4 years there is an in state guy worth a scholarship at Nebraska. They might not all be starter quality, but a guy like Eikmeier would of played a lot on this last Husker team.

I don't know. Eikmeier really struggled with the physicality of the Big 12 at Iowa St and the B!G is even more physical.

I'd like to think he would have made a contribution as a Husker but it's hard to really know.

If Mike Fox can get 220 mins on that team, then I think Eikmeier would of made a big difference. Especially this past year they had no shooters on the team. Not saying he/or guys like him in the future should start, but I think a lot of B1G teams would take a guy like that for 8-10 mins a game off the bench.

He played basketball too, if I am not mistaken. I thought after the season was over his senior year he decided to play bball as well.

It was Barry Collier's 1 year I think. It was a really REALLY bad team. He talked about on radio show once how one time they went into the lockeroom after a 25 point loss and all the players could do was argue about stat lines. He knew then how bad that team really was. So yes, he played basketball for a year, and I think a year later WR Wilson Thomas also played.

He played basketball too, if I am not mistaken. I thought after the season was over his senior year he decided to play bball as well.

It was Barry Collier's 1 year I think. It was a really REALLY bad team. He talked about on radio show once how one time they went into the lockeroom after a 25 point loss and all the players could do was argue about stat lines. He knew then how bad that team really was. So yes, he played basketball for a year, and I think a year later WR Wilson Thomas also played.

Wilson Thomas, ahhh the golden years of husker hoops!

I'm missing something. Where was it established that Smiles is focusing on in-state kids?

EDIT - yeah, I'm making it official. Tim Miles smiles so much I'm calling him Smiles from now on. FIRST!

Not calling anyone out, but I've never understood the attraction of giving a player or coach a nickname. Example: Taylor Martinez = TMart. Kenyon Martin = KMart. LeBron James = King James.

It sounds too much like a "hanger on mentality" where someone wants to attach themselves to a players reputation. (Rep ....another slang word I despise.) A little too much man love for me....sorry.

I'm missing something. Where was it established that Smiles is focusing on in-state kids?

EDIT - yeah, I'm making it official. Tim Miles smiles so much I'm calling him Smiles from now on. FIRST!

Not calling anyone out, but I've never understood the attraction of giving a player or coach a nickname. Example: Taylor Martinez = TMart. Kenyon Martin = KMart. LeBron James = King James.

It sounds too much like a "hanger on mentality" where someone wants to attach themselves to a players reputation. (Rep ....another slang word I despise.) A little too much man love for me....sorry.

Are you nuts man??? If knapp says it, then it becomes a requirement by rules set up by HB hierarchy!!! Keep your head down bro!!! And don't look knapp in the eyes!!! Damn man!!! We're all gonna pay for your insubordination! GBR :)

Thanks Matty for telling us all something we didn't already know.

However, I'd put money down that CSU's team Nebraska would beat the Skers last season.

I would take that bet I think.

Seriously CSU would sit back and enjoy watching Spencer and McCray playing "I need to get mine"

You have a good point there.

I agree that Eikmeier could of got 8-10 minutes a game as our zone buster and would of struggled with the physical play if called on to be a major minutes guy.

One thing I like about Miles that I believe I heard from his interview is that he is going to make sure his players play to their roles.

There is some good talent in state. Trouble is Nebraska never gets those kids.

When ever there has been a solid in state player places like Texas, Iowa St and now Iowa have won the battles. That HAS to stop. Miles needs to lock up the borders for what little talent it does produce. IMO 3 out of 4 years there is an in state guy worth a scholarship at Nebraska. They might not all be starter quality, but a guy like Eikmeier would of played a lot on this last Husker team.

I don't know. Eikmeier really struggled with the physicality of the Big 12 at Iowa St and the B!G is even more physical.

I'd like to think he would have made a contribution as a Husker but it's hard to really know.

If Mike Fox can get 220 mins on that team, then I think Eikmeier would of made a big difference. Especially this past year they had no shooters on the team. Not saying he/or guys like him in the future should start, but I think a lot of B1G teams would take a guy like that for 8-10 mins a game off the bench.

I would maintain only Fox got those minutes because we were so thin down low..................no way Eikmeier fills that slot.

We certainly could have used more shooters, but Talley was our best pure shooter and Doc never seemed to run many set plays just for him, so I don't know if Doc really utilizes zone busters in a very effective way. (remember Bear Jones). Interesting discussion though.

Greg Smith would have played significnt minutes on last years team and probably started opposite Ubel after JBD's gout flare up.

And Davison was actually a VERY good bballer in HS.

Indeed. In fact, basketball really was his first love..............but football paid the freight.........