Davison: Huskers won't win with only in-state talent

SIOUX CITY -- If new Nebraska head coach Tim Miles is going to win basketball games, he may to have to tweak his recruiting strategy a bit.

At least, that's the opinion of Matt Davison, a former NU sports star and current Husker Network commentator who was in town Wednesday night speaking at the 43rd Annual Sertoma Club Sports Banquet.

"I don't think you can win with just Nebraska kids," Davison said. "You have to have guys that are really, really good to win conference championships.

Read more: http://siouxcityjour...l#ixzz1rBEOpv3c

[/left]

In other news, water is wet.

"I don't think you can win with just Nebraska kids," Davison said. "You have to have guys that are really, really good to win conference championships.

lol. Conference championships? Oh Matty--a little soon for Kool-Aid isn't it? Let's start winning half our conf games. And pull ourselves up to the middle of the pack first. Before we start building any trophy cases for basketball. :lol:

I'm missing something. Where was it established that Smiles is focusing on in-state kids?

EDIT - yeah, I'm making it official. Tim Miles smiles so much I'm calling him Smiles from now on. FIRST!

6093498.jpg1048148.jpg17247008_BG1.JPG

Tim Smiles. Yeah, definitely. :lol:

I'm missing something. Where was it established that Smiles is focusing on in-state kids?

EDIT - yeah, I'm making it official. Tim Miles smiles so much I'm calling him Smiles from now on. FIRST!

6093498.jpg1048148.jpg17247008_BG1.JPG

Tim Smiles. Yeah, definitely. :lol:

Plus he kinda reminds me of Smalls from The Sandlot for some reason. Smalls/Miles/Smiles. Weird correlation, I know.

tumblr_l6el6wHlMv1qaw5yz.jpg

SIOUX CITY -- If new Nebraska head coach Tim Miles is going to win basketball games, he may to have to tweak his recruiting strategy a bit.

At least, that's the opinion of Matt Davison, a former NU sports star and current Husker Network commentator who was in town Wednesday night speaking at the 43rd Annual Sertoma Club Sports Banquet.

Read more: http://siouxcityjour...l#ixzz1rBEOpv3c

[/left]

In other news, water is wet.

Agree this is pretty obvious. Also, Miles said he would recruit Nebraska players "If they were good enough" so he qualified it as he should have.

There is some good talent in state. Trouble is Nebraska never gets those kids.

When ever there has been a solid in state player places like Texas, Iowa St and now Iowa have won the battles. That HAS to stop. Miles needs to lock up the borders for what little talent it does produce. IMO 3 out of 4 years there is an in state guy worth a scholarship at Nebraska. They might not all be starter quality, but a guy like Eikmeier would of played a lot on this last Husker team.

Thanks Matty for telling us all something we didn't already know.

However, I'd put money down that CSU's team Nebraska would beat the Skers last season.

I would take that bet I think.

Seriously CSU would sit back and enjoy watching Spencer and McCray playing "I need to get mine"

There is some good talent in state. Trouble is Nebraska never gets those kids.

When ever there has been a solid in state player places like Texas, Iowa St and now Iowa have won the battles. That HAS to stop. Miles needs to lock up the borders for what little talent it does produce. IMO 3 out of 4 years there is an in state guy worth a scholarship at Nebraska. They might not all be starter quality, but a guy like Eikmeier would of played a lot on this last Husker team.

I don't know. Eikmeier really struggled with the physicality of the Big 12 at Iowa St and the B!G is even more physical.

I'd like to think he would have made a contribution as a Husker but it's hard to really know.