Spring Game attendence down this year?

My guess is that people are growing weary of the "we're so close" narrative. Nebraska needs to win something soon. Conference, BCS game, etc. It's been too long and I think that it's wearing on some people.

2008 - New coach, bright future.

2009 - Much improved team last year so we're on track!

2010 - We won the Big 12 last year but had the game taken from us! Huge momentum from Arizona bowl stomping. This is the year.

2011 - New conference. We're so much faster than the slow Big Ten teams.

2012 - . . . . . . who knows? I'm to the point where I expect more of the same from Pelini's team. I don't mean that as a bad thing necessarily. We'll probably win 8-10 games. I just don't expect to go further than that. That's hard for a Husker fan to take.

My guess is fuel prices. big bucks to drive for a spring game.

I don't buy it. If gas were $2.77 a gallon ($1 dollar cheaper) a person who drives a pickup at 15 mpg would only save $20 buy driving 300 miles, $40 round trip. These would be the people coming in from well out of town and most likely making a "mini-vacation" out of the game.

If people really want to go, but don't want to pay the above:

1. Find a buddy with a Camry (30mpg would cost extra $20 round trip) and buy his ticket.

2. Don't take the family out to Applebee's one night.

3. Pack a cooler for a tailgate so you don't have to buy drinks at the bars.

4. Grill burgers/hotdogs instead of steak/shrimp

If people don't want to go, I don't see gas prices as the reason. If it is for some and an extra $40 is life or death in a monthly budget, then those people should not be spending $10 on a ticket to watch football practice.

Sorry gas isn't 2.77 where I live, It's 4+. and it would be a 3,000 mile trip for me. It's not worth spending the money for a spring game especially when I'll be able to watch it on TV.

• Fire 1

My guess is that people are growing weary of the "we're so close" narrative. Nebraska needs to win something soon. Conference, BCS game, etc. It's been too long and I think that it's wearing on some people.

2010 - We won the Big 12 last year but had the game taken from us! Huge momentum from Arizona bowl stomping. This is the year.

2012 - . . . . . . who knows? I'm to the point where I expect more of the same from Pelini's team. I don't mean that as a bad thing necessarily. We'll probably win 8-10 games. I just don't expect to go further than that. That's hard for a Husker fan to take.

I don't buy it. If gas were $2.77 a gallon ($1 dollar cheaper) a person who drives a pickup at 15 mpg would only save $20 buy driving 300 miles, $40 round trip. These would be the people coming in from well out of town and most likely making a "mini-vacation" out of the game.

1. Find a buddy with a Camry (30mpg would cost extra $20 round trip) and buy his ticket.

If people don't want to go, I don't see gas prices as the reason. If it is for some and an extra $40 is life or death in a monthly budget, then those people should not be spending $10 on a ticket to watch football practice.

Sorry gas isn't 2.77 where I live, It's 4+. and it would be a 3,000 mile trip for me. It's not worth spending the money for a spring game especially when I'll be able to watch it on TV.

were u planning on going had gas been $2.77 though?

I think it is a combination of things.

Last year, new OC so folks were interested.

Economic factors.

Fans have had enough of the "passive" and not so veiled comments about the fans.

Nothing new to see.

Personally, I have learned the spring game is a sham. No matter who excites, it is pretty much guaranteed they won't unseat a starter.

Being on tv doesn't help. You can stay at home, save money and watch the delayed game on the B1G Network.

It is still 8 days away.

I really don't think it a lack of support, just a lot of factors (real or speculated) that are adding up to lower ticket sales.

Well according to most on this board "Economic factors" has nothing to do with it. your just a "bandwagon fan" if you don't pony up and spend the money.

:confucius

So true. Disagree and you are a bandwagon fan. No doubt.

it's not like the tickets are $75. if you can't afford $10, you probably couldn't afford $10 the prior year either. If you want to look at economic factors, far more people are in a position to buy tickets this year than were last year, and many more than the year prior. if anything the economic factors should be contributing to increased ticket sales - not the other way around.

Sean Callahan tweeted yesterday that about 46,000 tickets have been sold. Add another 4k-5k between now and gametime, and another 5k or so walk-up purchases, and we're looking at about 55k right there.

I also got to thinking - while kids taking the drug-free pledge at halftime need a ticket, their tickets are free. So maybe those kids aren't counted in the 46,000 or so tickets already sold?

It's not 2.77 where I live either...

My point is, even If gas were "cheap" it still wouldn't make that much difference in the total cost of the trip to Lincoln for a weekend for people within 300 miles. So, it must mean that other factors beside fuel prices are at play for people within driving distance. FWIW, I don't see 3,000 miles as driving distance.

P.S. I agree that you have made a responsible economic decision regarding your choice to not attend the Spring Game. You have weighed cost versus return and came to the conclusion that an alternative (TV) exists to satisfy your needs. Congrats! You are the type of person that I was NOT referring to in my post. :thumbs

da-gummit. Fuel pirces are a lame excuse. And for the guy who lives 3000 miles away, hey, you live across the country. We dont expect you to come for a practice if gas was a nickel. But I will never let the price of fuel dictate what I can or cant do for fun. I travel all over the state for racing all summer and go to most to all home games every year and live 100 miles away and drive a diesel truck that gets 15-18mpg, and yes diesel is higher right now. Throw in my trip to famous daves for another 40$, and if I'm short on cash, I get the credit card out. hell, if the crooked gov't can do it on a minutely basis, why can't I for a weekend

da-gummit. Fuel pirces are a lame excuse. And for the guy who lives 3000 miles away, hey, you live across the country. We dont expect you to come for a practice if gas was a nickel. But I will never let the price of fuel dictate what I can or cant do for fun. I travel all over the state for racing all summer and go to most to all home games every year and live 100 miles away and drive a diesel truck that gets 15-18mpg, and yes diesel is higher right now. Throw in my trip to famous daves for another 40$, and if I'm short on cash, I get the credit card out. hell, if the crooked gov't can do it on a minutely basis, why can't I for a weekend

I'm with this guy!

Economic factors.

Fans have had enough of the "passive" and not so veiled comments about the fans.

Nothing new to see.

Personally, I have learned the spring game is a sham. No matter who excites, it is pretty much guaranteed they won't unseat a starter.

Being on tv doesn't help. You can stay at home, save money and watch the delayed game on the B1G Network.

It is still 8 days away.

I really don't think it a lack of support, just a lot of factors (real or speculated) that are adding up to lower ticket sales.

Well according to most on this board "Economic factors" has nothing to do with it. your just a "bandwagon fan" if you don't pony up and spend the money.

ok we've heard "its 50 miles to Lincoln from Omaha" that's about $12.00 in gas, and $10.00 to get in- sweet-screamin jesus the unemployment rate in Nebraska is one of the lowest in the nation- you people can't spend $22.00? this is NOT an economic issue

saving $10.00 is very important to bandwagon fan.

They probably won't watch it on TV either, because as you know electricity isn't free and you have to spend extra money to get the BTN package

Why would I want to carry a TV to Memorial to sit on it to watch the game?

oh

Never mind

Economic factors.

Nothing new to see.

It is still 8 days away.

So true. Disagree and you are a bandwagon fan. No doubt.

Not sure I under stand this but if it works for you.

Yea you go with that.

Economic factors.

Nothing new to see.

It is still 8 days away.

ok we've heard "its 50 miles to Lincoln from Omaha" that's about $12.00 in gas, and $10.00 to get in- sweet-screamin jesus the unemployment rate in Nebraska is one of the lowest in the nation- you people can't spend $22.00? this is NOT an economic issue

I guess your right, only NE fans live in NE?????????? :confucius

Personally, it would be at least $100 investment for me if I were to take my girlfriend to the game if you include gas, the tickets, and food/beer. I'd actually be lucky to spend as little as $100.

Being a poor college student, that's not exactly in my budget at the moment. Maybe next year.

Economic factors.

Nothing new to see.

It is still 8 days away.

I guess your right, only NE fans live in NE?????????? :confucius

I guess I'm having trouble identifying your point?- just for kicks let's say that in any past spring game there are about 5k "fans" that travel over 250 miles, since we know that 2010 & 2011 were worse years economically than this year- my point was pretty simple and can be summed up by asking this question, "why aren't they going to show this year?"

The same question needs to be asked about those who live within $22.00 worth of expenses (the majority of the states' population) in a state which economically is better off than over 40 other states.

I'd have to conclude we have a lot of people who call themselves fans ,in and outside Nebraska, but aren't willing to drop the money that would buy a large pizza in most cases, or have the stones to tell their fat little girlfriends they have to stay home,.

Instead they use every excuse they can dream up not to go, other than that they themselves aren't willing to be real fans and support the team this spring by going to the game-

They will however be the first ones to bitch and complain about not getting enough "5" star recruits, even though the spring game is one of the biggest days for trying to impress recruit prospects