Huskers vs Hawkeyes; Baseball edition

Aye. I think your last commentary was WAY premature, Hacker. They did what they needed today, and minimized their mistakes, and when the hitters got on, for the most part, they made sure it didn't hurt. I was at the game today (first of the year) and I liked what I saw, and so did the crowd. Erstad will teach them that killer instinct, but Erstad has said himself that getting the old mentality out takes time, and they still slip back into old modes at times. Great game today, guys, now go get the series tomorrow!

the skers have to have the series, simple as that. yes, a good game today but only on the surface.

We still struggled getting lead off batters out.

We still struggled advancing runners.

We haven't shown any "pop" in our bats for way too long and are striking out way too often.

We are playing Iowa for Pete's sake, not Purdue or Michigan State. I'll hold off on the great game talk until we actually have a great win. (KSU was close)

We can't win against better teams if we continue putting their runners on. In fact, Illinois showed the BIG how to beat us. All teams need to do is swing the bat and stop trying to bunt the lead off over. Instead, play the hit and run game and put the pressure on the infield. Thankfully Iowa isn't playing the hit and run game. :)

*sigh* I give up arguing with you Hacker. You make no sense. You preach patience when we lose, then condemn our wins. It was obvious that Erstad didn't like what he saw yesterday, and yet it had to do with focus and doing the little things right. They did those little things a lot better today. You obviously didn't see the same game I did today, because I saw Erstad make a few changes, and saw more fight and more heart out of the team today than yesterday. Play whatever semantics games about what we did and didn't do today. Ultimately, they came back and won the game today. I fully expect them to come out with the same fire tomorrow, and win the series. Then we go forward from there. I have a lot of confidence in this team and especially in Erstad. But it won't turn around overnight. Again, there will be bumps in the road, followed by good performances like today. Can't wait to see the confidence, fire, and passion in this team going forward.

Why can't Scheffert stay at third? Headley would also be a good option. Nothing personal against Farmer, but Northwestern didn't score an earned run on Saturday and now Iowa gets enough freebies to win by 1? Can't afford that.

That is why I went back to edit my post. The Bourbon is strong in this one tonight.

Agree though, best thing offensively and defensively is Scheffert at third. Although I really like Headley. Was a great player up in Omaha

Oh, my comment was a rhetorical question directed at the coaches, not your original post. We're clearly geniuses though, look at today's results :dumdum:corndance

bottom of two, lead off HR from Shep, huskers lead by 1

darby safe on throwing error, ss to first, no outs

Kelly goes down swinging, 1 out w/ runner on 1st, Northwestern up 1 on Purdue

Burly out at first, Darby to 2nd, 2 outs

Pritch out at first, 1 runner left on base

Iowa's starting pitcher's pitch count high.

bottom of 4,

Sheff out at 1st, 1 down

Darby on, wild throw ruled a hit

kelly safe at 1st, darby to 2nd, 1 down

Burly HBP, bases loaded, 1 down pritch up.

Pritch safe at 1, Burly out at 2nd, Darby scores, 2 out, runners on the corners, huskers up 3-1

pritch steals 2nd

Sang singles, Kelly scores, Pritch thrown out at home.. skers up 4-1