Husker tight ends ready to get more involved

Husker tight ends ready to get more involved

For the Nebraska football team, getting its tight ends, Kyler Reed and Ben Cotton, involved more is just as important to the Huskers, according to coach Bo Pelini.

“That’s something we’ve talked about in the offseason is making sure we make a concerted effort to make sure we get those guys the football,” Pelini said.

One way to get those players more touches is to copy the NFL game more, according to Reed.

“When you see the success the tight ends in the NFL are having right now, we can try an emulate that,” Reed said. “The NCAA and the NFL are kind of copycat leagues. One sees something working in one league the other tries to copy that into their league.”

The best thing Beck could do to get Reed and Cotton more involved is switch them around in his head. Last year, despite injury, Beck called Reed's number more to seal the end on an Option than to catch the ball downfield. That is a HUGE mistake, and Reed routinely failed at making his (often crucial) block. That's not a knock on Kyler Reed, it's just that he's not built for that type of play.

But Cotton is. Despite this, you'd see Cotton downfield in two TE sets as a decoy for the run that went to Reed's side of the field - and the play would get blown up. Cotton never blocked anyone and was wasted on the play. Reed failed in his block, and often his man made or was involved in the tackle.

I have been rewatching the 2011 season, and I pull my hair out over and over watching our line play. Our blocking schemes are ridiculous.

You want to get these guys more involved? Find out if they're a square peg or a round peg, and fit them in accordingly. That's Step One.

• Fire 1

Must..resist..talking..about..Cotton..

I agree. Per your suggestion knapp, I went back and watched several games the last few weeks looking at these things. The way we utilized our tight ends was mind-boggling. Bad all around at times.

I could understand if it was the first few games of the year and Beck was still figuring out what he had (although he SHOULD know that already from being in the program), but it happened all year. I'm watching the Sparty game right now (when I have time) and it's still going on. I had a freaking conniption and forced the wife to watch an Option play three times, focusing on the play-side OT and the backside TE, both of whom whiffed on blocks on two levels. Abysmal.

Knapp i totally agree, its like we are trying to out think how the opponent is going to defend us. Teams are going to know cotton is more of a blocker so we are going to trick them and run to the otherside...problem is it never worked because reed would miss his block.

Line up and run right at em....try and stop us. Thats the mentality we need.

• Fire 1

Knapp i totally agree, its like we are trying to out think how the opponent is going to defend us. Teams are going to know cotton is more of a blocker so we are going to trick them and run to the otherside...problem is it never worked because reed would miss his block.

Line up and run right at em....try and stop us. Thats the mentality we need.

That is exactly how it feels. I'm glad I'm not the only guy seeing this. Stop with the trickeration. Line up, do what you do, and if they can stop it great - we'll line up and do it again. If not, Reed's gone or Cotton has leveled your DE/LB.

The biggest problem with that "out-think the other guy" mentality is that we did it all season. At some point it becomes your pattern, not your aberration.

I remember listening to Stai's harsh criticisms of our blocking schemes in 2010. I hoped, with Beck's advising, we'd get away from that a bit. At times last year, our blocking was really, really good. There were other times where it was almost embarrassing to see our guys block a defensive line. Positioning is bad, footwork is bad, hand movement/placement is bad.

Again, it isn't all the time, but it's enough of the time to cause concern. Hopefully, things will make a lot more sense for the guys now that we're in year two of Beck's system. Maybe the guys were thinking too much about the play last year over what they needed to do, and why they were doing it? I don't know.

I know it doesn't all fall on Cotton, but my breaking point will be in 2013. If we aren't one of the best lines in the B1G (if not country), with the amount of talent/depth we'll have coming back, I'll be at a loss for words.

I don't disagree with what you're saying Knapp, but I'd be fairly confident in saying that a big part of that is probably a bluff or deception move on Beck's part - especially with Kyler's 2010 season, our offensive staff was probably expecting him to demand a lot of attention and be an effective decoy at times.

I don't disagree with what you're saying Knapp, but I'd be fairly confident in saying that a big part of that is probably a bluff or deception move on Beck's part - especially with Kyler's 2010 season, our offensive staff was probably expecting him to demand a lot of attention and be an effective decoy at times.

Covered this:

The biggest problem with that "out-think the other guy" mentality is that we did it all season. At some point it becomes your pattern, not your aberration.

• Fire 1

Cotton had a solid year IMO. Reed fell off the map sure - but not many teams have 2 impact TE's. Not two that catch the ball anyway. I think Reed's 2010 year will end up being an anomaly, brought on by a lack of depth/skill at the receiver position and an inexperienced thrower but deadly running threat under center. I personally don't expect to see either have a season anywhere near 400+ yards. There is just too much talent at WR, and the scheme doesn't seem to allow a TE to get behind the safety like 2010's did. Reed had a handful of big plays because safeties were cheating up to stop Taylor and the zone-read. Not anymore

I really have no desire to get the ball to Cotton unless it is open. That guy is meant for plowing and that should be his MO. I really dont think there is need for deception here, line him up and let him go. I will give him the advantage on everyone beyond the Dline.

Except that guy can make a tough, contested 3rd and long catch better than anyone. No denying his ability to use his body to make a tough catch. And he's reliable (for the most part).

No excuses but Reed was hampered by a hamstring for the better part of last season.

HIs blocking was awful, he was lucky to chip a DE/LB.

Im all for using these two as much as possible, see the NewEngland Partiots how they use Gronk and Hernandez. Hope Belichek let Beck in on some plays while he was here speaking a few weeks ago.

If Kyler is such a threat, use him as a decoy more, let him get double teamed going deep and have a WR coming across the middle, or a RB coming out of the backfield. Make the D respect the whole offense, not just one or two players.

No excuses but Reed was hampered by a hamstring for the better part of last season.

HIs blocking was awful, he was lucky to chip a DE/LB.

Im all for using these two as much as possible, see the NewEngland Partiots how they use Gronk and Hernandez. Hope Belichek let Beck in on some plays while he was here speaking a few weeks ago.

If Kyler is such a threat, use him as a decoy more, let him get double teamed going deep and have a WR coming across the middle, or a RB coming out of the backfield. Make the D respect the whole offense, not just one or two players.

seems like a bunch of folks were hurt last year and it affected their performance a lot.