How Urban Meyer destroyed Florida Football

Excel

Mostly Meyer has that SEC taint about him, which I find unpalatable. But if he fits in to our culture here in the Big Ten, then we'll accept him for one of us.

See? We're so assimilated already that we get to accept your coach. Membership has its advantages. :D

Ohio State's coach was coaching in the Big Ten before Oklahoma stopped pretending you were their main rival. :P

Yeah, but not as a head coach. So we're good.

Mostly Meyer has that SEC taint about him, which I find unpalatable. But if he fits in to our culture here in the Big Ten, then we'll accept him for one of us.

See? We're so assimilated already that we get to accept your coach. Membership has its advantages. :D

No, the fact that you're accepting of Meyer proves you're not assimilated...and a strong Ohio State is not good for the Big Ten, its good for Ohio State. We just got done with 10 years of a strong Ohio State, it was boring and awful. How many BCS games did we win?

It's not Ohio State's fault that they dominated the last ten years. It's Penn State's, Michigan's, Sparty's, Iowa's and Wisconsin's. You can't be down on them for winning. You have to go beat them.

I hope Hoke leads Michigan back to prominence. I hope Bielema has Wiscy on an upward trend. I hope Meyer keeps OSU winning. I hope that the overall strength of the B1G is high for the next decade - and I hope Nebraska beats 'em all.

There's no glory in beating weak teams. Let's build this conference into something formidable, and then let's go beat the hell out of everyone in our bowl games.

• Fire 1

I'm not "down on them", they were damn good and I respect that....but it got old and I came to hate them. Take it as a compliment Buckeyes, I wish my team was as good as yours was back then.

That's how sports go knapp, you win every year and you're going to have enemies, nothing personal....and I don't want you all to do well. I want you to do well against other conferences and on the national scene but if it could somehow be rigged that every other team than mine went winless in Big Ten play I'd love it. I want you all to lose and look bad compared to my team...bottom line. It's football not an AA meeting, we don't all rise as one.

I didn't like the phrase "down on them," either. I rewrote that a couple of times. I don't like any of the phrases I came up with.

And yes, you do rise as one. A very weak Big Ten isn't going to propel a dominant Wisconsin into the National Championship game. You're going to have to beat good teams along the way. You beat up on weak conference mates and you get a BCS bowl against some schlub. Just ask Boise.

I didn't like the phrase "down on them," either. I rewrote that a couple of times. I don't like any of the phrases I came up with.

And yes, you do rise as one. A very weak Big Ten isn't going to propel a dominant Wisconsin into the National Championship game. You're going to have to beat good teams along the way. You beat up on weak conference mates and you get a BCS bowl against some schlub. Just ask Boise.

Did we all rise as one from the 1950's to the 1990's? I don't quite remember.

I'm just saying its a whole lot more fun when a bunch of different teams contend for the conference title. I really enjoyed this season because of that.

It's a question of what kind of conference we would like to become...more like the PAC-10 was until two years ago? USC every damn year? Or more like the SEC with four different national championship teams over six years?

I've already seen the Ohio State show. It's boring and need's to go on a hiatus.

I'm not in favor of another decade of Buckeye dominance, if that's what you're reading from what I'm saying. I'm saying Ohio State has set the bar "this high." Let's not lower the bar, let's have Michigan, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Penn State, Michigan State and anyone else who wants to join the party raise their level up there.

Of the two choices you've given, I'd definitely take the SEC model, every time. Multiple good teams vying for the crown year in and year out.

I'm sure every school wishes they were "broken" like UF. 2 national titles? Only one bowl loss. doubled their titles.

I would also like to add that out of the SEC schools, UF has to abide by the most academic rule outside of Vandy. In fact outside of UGA,UF and Vandy it's the wild west.

Case in point--1995 Nebraska, and how three other Big 8 teams were in the Top 10 of both polls at the end of the season, and all were Top 15 before we played Florida IIRC. Though perhaps playing on turf had something to do with that.

This sounds like stuff that has been known about Urban for awhile, he is a win at all costs Coach. He doesn't stay at one school for more than 5 years anyway, he will do some good things at OSU then move on to another job. Maybe a big payday in the NFL, or Notre Dame.