How Urban Meyer destroyed Florida Football

Excel

This sounds like stuff that has been known about Urban for awhile, he is a win at all costs Coach. He doesn't stay at one school for more than 5 years anyway, he will do some good things at OSU then move on to another job. Maybe a big payday in the NFL, or Notre Dame.

He seems to just "Pete Carroll" his way around.

In fact outside of UGA,UF and Vandy it's the wild west.

Case in point - LSU Mo Claiborne scoring a 4 on the wonderlic test. Sure it is one example but how does one who only scores a 4 be a legitimate student athlete at an istitution of higher learning. AJ Green & Patrick Peterson also scored singled digits.

I always wondered if you gave the SEC players an 12th grade proficiency test, how many could pass.

Urban Meyer's end at Florida like Jim Tressel's end at Ohio State, but without the NCAA violations

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- In a Sporting News story published Monday on Ohio State coach Urban Meyer's tenure at Florida, the program Meyer left winds up sounding a lot like the program he inherited. And none of that should be of particular surprise.

The only problem is for anyone viewing Meyer above or below the spectrum of successful major college football coaches, for good or bad. He's no more a saint or a sinner than most two-time national championship coaches who recruit at a high level, bring in talent, battle in a super competitive environment like the SEC or Big Ten and have the wins, losses, complaints and praise to go with it.

.../cont/...

¿Que?

Complain, whine, cry, make excuses about why the Big Two meanies consistently kick you around.

If you'll notice Penn State has assimilated into that group (making it the Little 9?) quite nicely.

Here's one thing I think is really important to consider in reading through this...

Is some of this really damning towards Urban? It seems that way. But remember Tom Osborne's personal crusade and commitment towards troubled players and how it was perceived nationally? The incidents with LP, Christian Peter, missing handguns and etc. painted an ugly picture but I think we all know our current athletic director's character well enough to see past what others view those things as.

Tim Tebow loves Urban Meyer. That says something in my eyes. Not only that, but he seems like a good guy when you get the rare chance at a candid look. Sure it can be deceiving, but we don't know the truth behind any of this and it's unfair to judge a person in such a way.

• Fire 1

Here's one thing I think is really important to consider in reading through this...

Is some of this really damning towards Urban? It seems that way. But remember Tom Osborne's personal crusade and commitment towards troubled players and how it was perceived nationally? The incidents with LP, Christian Peter, missing handguns and etc. painted an ugly picture but I think we all know our current athletic director's character well enough to see past what others view those things as.

Tim Tebow loves Urban Meyer. That says something in my eyes. Not only that, but he seems like a good guy when you get the rare chance at a candid look. Sure it can be deceiving, but we don't know the truth behind any of this and it's unfair to judge a person in such a way.

Read the story I linked two posts above yours. It does a decent job of providing a little bit of perspective.

• Fire 1

This sounds like stuff that has been known about Urban for awhile, he is a win at all costs Coach. He doesn't stay at one school for more than 5 years anyway, he will do some good things at OSU then move on to another job. Maybe a big payday in the NFL, or Notre Dame.

The only way he's leaving Ohio State is retiring, the NFL or firing. There is no chance he goes to another college. This is his destination job.

Terron Sanders Replies to Sporting News Article on Urban Meyer

I’d like to start this article with a warning, I’m simply going to state MY prerogative, my feelings on Urban Meyer & the Gator football program and what I witnessed and learned during my five years at the University of Florida. If that’s something you feel the need to rebuke, I tell you this….you weren’t shooting in the gym with me.

Since I announced I would be addressing this issue, I have gotten a lot of questions from my friends, family and fans which I plan to answer each. But before I do, I have one point for my supporters and critics… If Urban Meyer were still coaching in Gainesville, would that article have ever been written? Would there be so many people out there rocking the Urban Liar shirts? So many fans saying that our program is broken? That Urban Meyer is a bad person? Personally I believe these kinds of “expose” (and I say that lightly) articles only surface when feelings are hurt, judgment isn’t utilized, and the victims tend to usually be on their way upward (Coach Meyer). Unfortunately this article also puts my Gator brothers in the category of victim. I know the team doesn’t pay much attention to these spiteful articles but who wants to read their program is “broken” when they’re focusing on getting better for their current coach?

.../cont/...

The only way he's leaving Ohio State is retiring, the NFL or firing. There is no chance he goes to another college. This is his destination job.

Boy you really narrowed it down, eliminating a whole 1 out 4 possible reason.

Pretty sound reasoning.............kudos.............

Boy you really narrowed it down, eliminating a whole 1 out 4 possible reason.

Yes I'm eliminating the one everyone is assuming he'd do based off of his supposed track record.

It's not Ohio State's fault that they dominated the last ten years. It's Penn State's, Michigan's, Sparty's, Iowa's and Wisconsin's. You can't be down on them for winning. You have to go beat them.

I hope Hoke leads Michigan back to prominence. I hope Bielema has Wiscy on an upward trend. I hope Meyer keeps OSU winning. I hope that the overall strength of the B1G is high for the next decade - and I hope Nebraska beats 'em all.

There's no glory in beating weak teams. Let's build this conference into something formidable, and then let's go beat the hell out of everyone in our bowl games.

I could not agree more. Well said. Wishing a program in the conference to fall is bad for the overall conference. I despise Michigan as much any tOSU fan, but I by no-means wish their program to fall; it would be bad for the rivalry and the conference. What happened at Penn State, is just sad on so many levels, but again, I wish no ill on the program. Now Wisconsin on the other hand...lol just kidding.

The whole country does not respect the B1G, we need to fight like cats and dogs among ourselves, but rally together to get this proud conference back to the top!