Who should take the mound on Friday vs. Purdue?

Nexus

After his start against Creighton, and giving so many strong innings, I'd say Keller has earned a weekend shot. I'd be inclined to give Keller his Saturday shot, and put Pierce in the Friday slot. He was stout last weekend, and I thought seemed to be decent today. Tough slot in any case, but I'd be looking at those two for the Friday start.

whoever is willing to pound the strike zone and not give Purdue the free passes. Purdue has a good enough offense without us giving them free passes. I think Keller or Pierce or both, since whoever starts will need to be on a short leash. Lets just try not to give up runs and the first 2 innings and start off hot. The team should be fired up and I am ready to be at the ballpark with big series on the line with haymarket packed and loud crowd like it used to be, well we arent back yet but winning this series is a step in the right direction.

GO BIG RED!

I'll disagree with everyone but only because I think we all forget the magnitude of the games this weekend.

Bringing Keller in on Friday to start might open the door for him to melt. Yes he had a very strong outing against the bluejays last week but we know what pressure can do to the best of players. With this in mind, I'd return to Lemke as he's older, more conditioned, seems to walk fewer batters in "big" numbers. Yes he'll walk one but rarely multiple walks per inning. Keep him on a short leash and if you get 3 innings from him, then consider Keller or Vogt for long relief.

Pierce has performed well but with pitcher friendly strike zones. We don't know how he'll perform with a strike zone that is like that of last Friday night's and therefore keeping our Saturday/Sunday rotation as is, in my opinion, is the safest direction. How many times have we heard from TO and many other highly successful coaches saying the key is to "not" panic? Stay focused, trust the system and play mistake free.

Hawks Field is a special place, the skers know that park, the pitchers know the ball's action, the hitters know the lanes and so, lets lean on tradition, trust the system and play ball the way Erstad, Bolt, Silva and the rest of the staff expects us to play and we'll be fine. Yes the big game atmosphere will be in the air but we know "our" boys have played in it before. What we don't know is whether Purdue has seen a 6K plus crowd chanting the home schools chants in crucial moments of a game. The skers will win this series. I've been saying all season and I've seen nothing to change my opinion. Lemke will start, he'll get three (maybe 4) innings and we'll win this Friday night game. Have faith and trust the ole ballparks hallowed shadows. It's been entirely too long since this ballpark has felt the thrill of a Huge game and because of this it's walls, the bump, the sneaky winds will again awaken and bring us on to victory. :)

Just finished doing a schedule comparison between the Husker's and boilermaker's and found an interesting little note.

Nebraska will by season's end have played 6 "out of conference" series games (3 or 4 games against the same opponent) while Purdue will have only played 3. (To date only two, against Murray St and Wichita St.)

The reason I find this to be interesting is simply in the difficulty to sweep a 3 (or 4) game series from a common opponent and wonder what the ball clubs (NU and Purdue) records would be if the scheduled were switched?

The common conference opponents are Northwestern, Illinois and tOSU.

Purdue swept Northwestern and Illinois while losing one game to Ohio State.

Nebraska on the other hand lost 2 games to Northwestern (still haunted by that) while going 2 - 1 against both Illinois and tOSU.

Knowing the above, my question to my fellow posters, do you think its better to play non-conference series or do as Purdue and play more tourney's and solo mid-week games? Does one choice present a better chance at securing a better record?

I'll disagree with everyone but only because I think we all forget the magnitude of the games this weekend.

Bringing Keller in on Friday to start might open the door for him to melt. Yes he had a very strong outing against the bluejays last week but we know what pressure can do to the best of players. With this in mind, I'd return to Lemke as he's older, more conditioned, seems to walk fewer batters in "big" numbers. Yes he'll walk one but rarely multiple walks per inning. Keep him on a short leash and if you get 3 innings from him, then consider Keller or Vogt for long relief.

Pierce has performed well but with pitcher friendly strike zones. We don't know how he'll perform with a strike zone that is like that of last Friday night's and therefore keeping our Saturday/Sunday rotation as is, in my opinion, is the safest direction. How many times have we heard from TO and many other highly successful coaches saying the key is to "not" panic? Stay focused, trust the system and play mistake free.

Hawks Field is a special place, the skers know that park, the pitchers know the ball's action, the hitters know the lanes and so, lets lean on tradition, trust the system and play ball the way Erstad, Bolt, Silva and the rest of the staff expects us to play and we'll be fine. Yes the big game atmosphere will be in the air but we know "our" boys have played in it before. What we don't know is whether Purdue has seen a 6K plus crowd chanting the home schools chants in crucial moments of a game. The skers will win this series. I've been saying all season and I've seen nothing to change my opinion. Lemke will start, he'll get three (maybe 4) innings and we'll win this Friday night game. Have faith and trust the ole ballparks hallowed shadows. It's been entirely too long since this ballpark has felt the thrill of a Huge game and because of this it's walls, the bump, the sneaky winds will again awaken and bring us on to victory. :)

I agree with you HH, I will be watching Friday, and be there saturday cheering on our HUSKERS! GO BIG RED! Let's show the Big Ten we came here to win championships not to "just make the NCAA Tournament"!