If a Christian commits suicide, does he/she make it to heaven?

How about an easier question. If a non-believer has denounced God and commits suicide or otherwise dies, does he/she make it to heaven?

I'm just spitballin here but I gotta say no.

I think most non-believers are about as worried about that as a Christian is at the prospect of damnation offered by the thousands of other mythological beings humans have been foolish enough to believe in over the years, which is not at all.

How about an easier question. If a non-believer has denounced God and commits suicide or otherwise dies, does he/she make it to heaven?

I think most non-believers are about as worried about that as a Christian is at the prospect of damnation offered by the thousands of other mythological beings humans have been foolish enough to believe in over the years, which is not at all.

ahh. But perception is not reality.

at that point, I'm not sure they'd really care...

Your question isn't so easy. A better way to ask it is:

Would they make it into Valhalla?

Would they make it into Paradise?

Would they make it into a higher circle of being?

Would they make it into Nirvana?

Would they make it into the Atman?

Would they make it into Oneness with the Universe?

Would they achieve Moksha?

Would they make it into Chicomemictlan?

Would they make it into the Dreamtime?

Would they make it into the Celestial Kingdom?

Would they make it into the Underworld?

Would they make it into Yama?

Would they achieve reincarnation?

The list goes on and on. Legends of the afterlife are as diverse as cultures upon Earth. Basing your question on the religion you happen to have been born into (or, the religion that permeates the culture of the country in which you were born) is overly simplistic.

Suicide is succumbing to weakness. It takes strength and heart to carry on.

It also takes a level of courage and strength though, does it not? Unfortunately I have gotten a little too close for comfort to that point in my life, and I think the only thing holding me back was a cowardice that made me too fearful to actually commit to it.

To a point yes, but for my dollar, it takes more strength and conviction to carry on. If you're committing suicide, you're taking the easy way out and not exhibiting the testicular fortitude you need to survive.

+1 :thumbs

For the Christians on the board, this is something I've never received a real definitive answer about. If so, why don't Christians just kill themselves, so they can be with God?

Pretty sure it depends on your state of mind at the time of death and your reason for ending.

Pretty sure it depends on your state of mind at the time of death and your reason for ending.

It's actually kind of funny as the stigma against suicide really came into being because it (suicide) was so common among early Christians. The modern concept of it being a sin really goes back to St. Austine who condemned the suicide of Lucretia primarily to instill a sense of fraternity among Christians & to differentiate themselves morally from the general Roman culture which was still heavily based upon it's pagan roots (and also as a response to critics who were claiming the sack of Rome was a direct result of the Empire converting to to Christianity).

Prior to that it was primarily the Jewish majority in the Levant who were outspoken against Christians proclivity for taking their own lives. Mass suicides became so prevalent at one point that the (Jewish) authorities threatened they would not bury the bodies of suicides, thus ensuring the destruction of the body which was a major concern for early Christians who believed a physical body was necessary for resurrection.

Your question isn't so easy. A better way to ask it is:

Would they make it into Valhalla?

Would they make it into Paradise?

Would they make it into a higher circle of being?

Would they make it into Nirvana?

Would they make it into the Atman?

Would they make it into Oneness with the Universe?

Would they achieve Moksha?

Would they make it into Chicomemictlan?

Would they make it into the Dreamtime?

Would they make it into the Celestial Kingdom?

Would they make it into the Underworld?

Would they make it into Yama?

Would they achieve reincarnation?

The list goes on and on. Legends of the afterlife are as diverse as cultures upon Earth. Basing your question on the religion you happen to have been born into (or, the religion that permeates the culture of the country in which you were born) is overly simplistic.

I was being overly simplistic on purpose, while attempting to make a couple points along the way.

1- The OP's question is really only a question that would concern Christians but that didn't seem to slow down those usually intent at mocking Christian religion or beliefs.

2- My simple question was intended to offer a chance for some non-believers to consider something that maybe they had given up on thinking about and to illustrate that there might be much less downside to holding Christian beliefs as compared to not believing in any afterlife at all. It's the old deal of; if a Christian is wrong, what have they really lost by subscribing to the Christian faith. But, if they're right, look at the upside. When I weigh those 2 against each other I can only come up with one way to possibly error. I understand that it may not be for everybody.

ahh. But perception is not reality.

Neither are fairy tales.

2- My simple question was intended to offer a chance for some non-believers to consider something that maybe they had given up on thinking about and to illustrate that there might be much less downside to holding Christian beliefs as compared to not believing in any afterlife at all. It's the old deal of; if a Christian is wrong, what have they really lost by subscribing to the Christian faith. But, if they're right, look at the upside. When I weigh those 2 against each other I can only come up with one way to possibly error. I understand that it may not be for everybody.

You're supposing that there are only two choices, Christianity or disbelief. What if the Hindus are right? The ancient Greeks? Egytians? Norse? Muslims? Buddhists? Any one of the thousands of world's folk religions, past, present or future? Hell, what if the Heaven's Gate guys were right when Hale Bopp visited in '97? If you think that your choice of religion has less downside, you're simply wrong. You have to hope that you've backed the right belief system out of thousands. Maybe you're lucky, but the odds are against it. What if the denomination you've chosen is the wrong one? Just because a lot of people believe something doesn't make it true - humanity once believed all sorts of nonsense that we've now learned was baseless fantasy. We're each making exactly the same gamble on our beliefs, and I prefer to focus on the facts available to me. I'm going to do the best I can with this one lifetime that I believe I have, and am not going to waste time on any of the world's improbable religions.

JJ, I am not trying to mock. If you feel that way truly, I am sorry, and I apologize.

I did not intend that for you at all and I'm sorry if you thought I was referring to you. I don't mind having my beliefs questioned or being presented other views. I can usually handle that without getting testy. We may disagree on some of these religion things but I respect how you present your views and arguments.

• Fire 1
JJ, I am not trying to mock. If you feel that way truly, I am sorry, and I apologize.

I did not intend that for you at all and I'm sorry if you thought I was referring to you. I don't mind having my beliefs questioned or being presented other views. I can usually handle that without getting testy. We may disagree on some of these religion things but I respect how you present your views and arguments.

Ditto. ;)

You're supposing that there are only two choices, Christianity or disbelief. What if the Hindus are right? The ancient Greeks? Egytians? Norse? Muslims? Buddhists? Any one of the thousands of world's folk religions, past, present or future? Hell, what if the Heaven's Gate guys were right when Hale Bopp visited in '97? If you think that your choice of religion has less downside, you're simply wrong. You have to hope that you've backed the right belief system out of thousands. Maybe you're lucky, but the odds are against it. What if the denomination you've chosen is the wrong one? Just because a lot of people believe something doesn't make it true - humanity once believed all sorts of nonsense that we've now learned was baseless fantasy. We're each making exactly the same gamble on our beliefs, and I prefer to focus on the facts available to me. I'm going to do the best I can with this one lifetime that I believe I have, and am not going to waste time on any of the world's improbable religions.

I am not supposing there are only two choices. I just happen to present it in this fashion due to the vast majority who tend to contribute on this board. The two largest groups I see on here are Christians and atheist/agnostic. I tend to look at this belief / non-belief issue in more simple terms. In my mind, the first hurdle to overcome is the question of, is there a God/Creator or not? For that question I don't feel religion, sect, denomination, or church teachings need to be considered. I am absolutely convinced we are here as a result of a single God creating (allowing to be created and evolving) everything. For me, that rules out some of the worlds religions, as well as atheism, as being plausible. Feeling about it the way I do, I'm not going to tell anybody that they are "wrong" but I sure do think many are wrong. I understand if a person feels the same about my beliefs. It's inevetible when both parties feel they have the correct answer.

BTW- For somebody who is not going to "waste time" on any of the world's improbable religions, you sure do spend a lot of time responding on message boards about religous issues. Seems to me the more logical choice would be to ignore these discussions entirely. If I felt there really was no difference between Heaven's Gate and say Christianity, I wouldn't waste my time on any of it.

BTW- For somebody who is not going to "waste time" on any of the world's improbable religions, you sure do spend a lot of time responding on message boards about religous issues. Seems to me the more logical choice would be to ignore these discussions entirely. If I felt there really was no difference between Heaven's Gate and say Christianity, I wouldn't waste my time on any of it.

Except (and I know we've talked about this before)....if Heaven's Gate people were in political (and social) power, I think you might.

I personally enjoy religious conversations because I think it's good for us as human beings to discuss issues like this. I find it intriguing why people believe some of the things they do. Religion has always historically had an enormous impact on human beings and society.