The Ron Brown Religion & Persecution Thread

"Hey! Let people be who they are, do the things they wanna do, blah blah blah.

What's so inherently wrong about that?

"If I ain't causin' no harm, it shouldn't bother you." - Ben Harper

There's nothing wrong with saying that, but when some people add the second part, that's what makes it ironic.

You should step away from the keyboard then. No offense...but getting this heated that you outright chastise any faith is pretty out there. I don't chastise Atheists lack of religion (which is a faith in itself) ever when I'm arguing with them.

Just my opinion, but walk away man. It's not worth it.

I hope you just mean it's not worth it on this message board. Because I tend to actually believe inalienable rights of human beings in this country...IS worth arguing for. Especially when the predominant reason why a group of people in our society are not allowed to have the same rights as everyone else...is because a single, but majorly influential, religious group in our country says their deity finds those people sinful. If we're going to start making laws based on sins in the Bible...then get out the pad and paper, because this is going to be a long night!

And not to side the topic...but atheism is not a faith system ;)

There's nothing wrong with saying that, but when some people add the second part, that's what makes it ironic.

This is a bit semantic, but is there something wrong with believing it, not just saying it, in your opinion?

It is kind of ironic that the jist of most of the posts in this thread by the non-Christian posters is this:

p.s. All you Christians, your religion is a bunch of lies. How could you believe something so unbelievable?!"

What's ironic? No one has said that Christians should be punching bag for culture wars and legislative battles like gay people have been for years.

Some of us simply want to be governed by reason rather than the accounts of a band of failed carpenters, fishermen and beggars 2000 years ago, and a historically insignifcant nomandic tribe before that.

Not to argue, but the bolded comment is not exactly one that think "no one should be a punching bag......" but your comments would tend to get a Christian defensive.

Homosexuals do not have the market on bias and or suffering. Here is a link that shows how much Christians have been and continue to suffer for their beliefs.

http://www.persecution.com/

Unfortunately, discussions of religion, like politics never end well.

I agree, I don't think they get what persecution is so maybe they should go to the middle east and proclaim Jesus as their Lord and savior, then they would know what persecution is!!!!!!!!!!!!! chuckleshuffle

You should step away from the keyboard then. No offense...but getting this heated that you outright chastise any faith is pretty out there. I don't chastise Atheists lack of religion (which is a faith in itself) ever when I'm arguing with them.

I hope you just mean it's not worth it on this message board. Because I tend to actually believe inalienable rights of human beings in this country...IS worth arguing for. Especially when the predominant reason why a group of people in our society are not allowed to have the same rights as everyone else...is because a single, but majorly influential, religious group in our country says their deity finds those people sinful. If we're going to start making laws based on sins in the Bible...then get out the pad and paper, because this is going to be a long night!

Not to decide is to decide!! :moreinteresting

This is a bit semantic, but is there something wrong with believing it, not just saying it, in your opinion?

I don't really understand the question. Saying what?

No......it's not.

No......it's not.

Ah............yes it is!! :wasted

No......it's not.

Ahh yes, the emoticon at the end of the sentence guy. How could I forget?

Not necessarily true. I can see where Shark differentiates the two into two completely different categories. You can't choose your race so therefore any law discriminating against a race would appear bigoted.

Tell that to Anatole Broyard or Michael Fosberg.

I have not decided whether or not I will buy a new computer.

Does that mean I've made a decision?

But, I don't understand what that had to do with what I said earlier anyway.

That depends! If you say I want to but a computer that is on sale but can I afford it you only have a short time to decide when the sale is over obvioulsy you chose not to buy it because if you can't afford it while it was on sale you definitely can't afford it after the sale.

Or a better scenario would be should you take a job offer to move to another city. if you never make a decision did you move or go to that city, no, you chose to stay home. chuckleshuffle

I have not decided whether or not I will buy a new computer.

Does that mean I've made a decision?

But, I don't understand what that had to do with what I said earlier anyway.

I am not debating your earlier statements just your assertion that atheists do not choose to follow a faith system. :wasted