Ohio State plans speedy recovery

By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com Originally Published: May 2, 2012

. . .

But the dark clouds above the Woody Hayes Athletic Center didn't linger. Three days after Ohio State completed a 6-6 regular season, its worst in 12 years, the school introduced Urban Meyer, a two-time national championship winner, as its coach. Although more bad news arrived weeks later, when the NCAA surprised Ohio State's brass by handing down a one-year postseason ban for the 2012 season, the sting began dwindling when Meyer introduced a recruiting class that ESPN rated as the best in the Big Ten and the sixth-best nationally. The momentum continues as Meyer and his staff have secured verbal commitments from seven recruits ranked in the ESPN 150 for 2013.

<snip>

We're kind of too big to fail," Smith said, "and we're sometimes successful in spite of ourselves because of the platform.

LINK

Man, these guys have an ego the size of Texas.

I hope the Bucknuts DO have a speedy recovery. So it'll mean more when we kick their ass this October in the Whorseshoe.

Winning your conference six straight years will tend to do that for you. Honestly, they have room to boast.

Sure. But tOSU hasn't won the B1G since NU joined.

(I hope I can still say this in 10 years.)

By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com Originally Published: May 2, 2012

. . .

But the dark clouds above the Woody Hayes Athletic Center didn't linger. Three days after Ohio State completed a 6-6 regular season, its worst in 12 years, the school introduced Urban Meyer, a two-time national championship winner, as its coach. Although more bad news arrived weeks later, when the NCAA surprised Ohio State's brass by handing down a one-year postseason ban for the 2012 season, the sting began dwindling when Meyer introduced a recruiting class that ESPN rated as the best in the Big Ten and the sixth-best nationally. The momentum continues as Meyer and his staff have secured verbal commitments from seven recruits ranked in the ESPN 150 for 2013.

<snip>

We're kind of too big to fail," Smith said, "and we're sometimes successful in spite of ourselves because of the platform.

LINK

I hope the Bucknuts DO have a speedy recovery. So it'll mean more when we kick their ass this October in the Whorseshoe.

No injury, no loss ;)

In all fairness, I believe that was a reply to the question "is OSU too big to fail" and wasn't just something that Smith brought up himself. But I also agree with Jaws that he should not be in charge of that athletic department.

The article does touch on some good reasons why OSU might bounce back faster but Smith is an idiot and should no longer have a job at OSU

His contract is up this summer. Word on the street is that the BOT will go after Oliver Luck (Andrew Luck's Dad) from WVU.

• 4 weeks later...

OSU will always be a big boy when it comes to football. They have always been able to bring in big time recruits and will continue as long as Urban is there. I would rather have them strong then weak, makes the confrence as a whole look a lot better.

OSU will always be a big boy when it comes to football. They have always been able to bring in big time recruits and will continue as long as Urban is there. I would rather have them strong then weak, makes the confrence as a whole look a lot better.

Does it now? eyeswear2allthatsholy

Does it now? eyeswear2allthatsholy

Who's made the conference look better?

Since 2000:

Northwestern is 0-7 (0 BCS)

Indiana is 0-1 (0 BCS)

Purdue is 3-4 (1 BCS - a loss)

Michigan St. is 3-5 (0 BCS games)

Minnesota is 3-5 (0 BCS)

Wisconsin is 5-6 (2 BCS - both losses)

Michigan is 5-6 in Bowl games (5 BCS games - 4 of them losses)

Illinois is 2-2 (2 BCS - both losses)

Nebraska is 5-5 (1 BCS - a loss)

Penn State is 4-4 (2 BCS - 1 of them a loss)

Ohio State is 6-6 (8 BCS games - 3 of them losses)

Iowa is 6-4 (2 BCS)

So by results alone, Iowa is the only one with a better bowl record, yet the caliber of bowl goes to Ohio State where it has won as many bowl games there as any school but Iowa overall.

Taking Ohio State out of the equation, what would have made the conference not look like the ACC or Big East?

I would have done the whole BCS era but I couldn't remember if that began in 98 or 99