So....we're one of the worst teams, in one of the worst conferences in the country?

Good ol Gumbo has been butthurt over the hire since day 1. How he waited what, two months to re-show his face is quite an accomplishment for the guy. I really missed him.

The thing I kinda equate the way this season is going vs last year with Anderson, is kind of like Bo's first year. DE and Bolt have fixed(so it seems) the offense. Numbers are up pretty much across the board in those categories and strikeout are less. Hence, like Bo coming in and starting to heal the defensive woes.

It's the starting pitching that has been this team's enigma. Can't see to string a bunch of great starts together. You know, like the QB's bumbling around Bo's first year.

I honestly think the Neiderklein experiment as a closer really set the rotation back. Tyler was the best pitcher for NU at the end of last year, and think he could've really anchored the Friday slot that has been a problem all year.

Finally this team is way ahead of the last couple of years. By this time last season Nu was just plaing for pride. There are things still to be attained. But I digress, they probably should just quit on their "bad hire" coach and this year.

Obviously we have to wait and see what kind of players we can get in here, but this year is not good...not good at all. You don't have to be a debbie downer to think that and everyone cal call gumbercules out for "crying" but plain and simple, he's right. We are one of the worst teams in one of the worst conferences. Please, argue that.

Thank you, I will call him out for crying. Because he's not taking a wait-and-see attitude like you're advocating, he's denouncing the hire right now.

The problem with everyone overreacting here is that they presumed we were a good coaching hire away from being a better team - the impression I get from reading some of these over-reacting posts is they felt we were a solid NCAA team - and that's simply not realistic. It wasn't realistic when Erstad was hired and it's not realistic now.

What were we getting when Erstad was hired? A guy who clearly can play baseball well. But can he teach it? That's the key question. We don't know the answer to that yet, and likely won't for a while. But to sit here and post threads about how poor of a hire Tom made now is foolish. It shows a lack of patience, and a lack of context.

I have zero qualms about calling someone out for crying under these circumstances. Crying about this season is silly. It's going to take time.

Eh, yes and no. We have been led to believe that we have quite a bit of talent on this team, it was just the downfall of A that he couldn't get them to play well or inspired. Erstad/Bolt, with the offense, have done that pretty well so far. However, the pitching staff, under one of the best pitching coaches in the nation, has still failed to impress. Maybe the talent isn't as great as we've been led to believe, I guess we'll see. However, with the limitations in the Big Ten, I really don't see a 'better' time coming soon in the future. These first couple of years are the years to win.

Obviously we have to wait and see what kind of players we can get in here, but this year is not good...not good at all. You don't have to be a debbie downer to think that and everyone cal call gumbercules out for "crying" but plain and simple, he's right. We are one of the worst teams in one of the worst conferences. Please, argue that.

Thank you, I will call him out for crying. Because he's not taking a wait-and-see attitude like you're advocating, he's denouncing the hire right now.

The problem with everyone overreacting here is that they presumed we were a good coaching hire away from being a better team - the impression I get from reading some of these over-reacting posts is they felt we were a solid NCAA team - and that's simply not realistic. It wasn't realistic when Erstad was hired and it's not realistic now.

What were we getting when Erstad was hired? A guy who clearly can play baseball well. But can he teach it? That's the key question. We don't know the answer to that yet, and likely won't for a while. But to sit here and post threads about how poor of a hire Tom made now is foolish. It shows a lack of patience, and a lack of context.

I have zero qualms about calling someone out for crying under these circumstances. Crying about this season is silly. It's going to take time.

Absolutely this. Sometimes you see first year coaches come in and set the world on fire. That's fine, but it isn't common. Coaches typically get fired because they either 1) Can't coach the talent they have or 2) Don't have talent to coach because they can't recruit. I'd say for Coach Erstad coming in, there was a little of both with what he's been thrown at. This would be like throwing Coach Miles under the bus this season because he was supposed to be a miracle worker with the cards he's been dealt. That's just not fair, and it's ridiculous for fans to think that's an acceptible attitude to have.

No, no, no. Not even close. Comparing the talent in the basketball program to the talent in the baseball program is asinine. It's not even close. Erstad was given a hand MUCH more similar to the one Pelini was given compared to the one that Miles has been given.

Absolutely this. Sometimes you see first year coaches come in and set the world on fire. That's fine, but it isn't common. Coaches typically get fired because they either 1) Can't coach the talent they have or 2) Don't have talent to coach because they can't recruit. I'd say for Coach Erstad coming in, there was a little of both with what he's been thrown at. This would be like throwing Coach Miles under the bus this season because he was supposed to be a miracle worker with the cards he's been dealt. That's just not fair, and it's ridiculous for fans to think that's an acceptible attitude to have.

No, no, no. Not even close. Comparing the talent in the basketball program to the talent in the baseball program is asinine. It's not even close. Erstad was given a hand MUCH more similar to the one Pelini was given compared to the one that Miles has been given.

Really? I'm not saying you're wrong, but you're basically saying Anderson was a good recruiter and couldn't coach, and Doc was the other way?

A little off topic, but I think a good baseball coach is more important than a good basketball coach, if the talent is equivelant on both teams. That said, It was interesting to read how Miles had the 4th best production from his CSU teams after coming out of a timeout. I guess with Erstad no one really knows. But then...basketball...baseball...apples and oranges. I think the future looks promising for both programs though.

Who told us we have "quite a bit of talent on this team?" I seem to have missed the origin of this line.

From what I can tell, that's been the common groupthink mantra, but it has never been proven true, not with the group on the field right now.

If we have all this talent, where is it?

Bear in mind, I'm not throwing this team under the bus. It is what it is. I like the guys and I think they're doing well. But we were the last-place team in the Big XII last year, and we're not doing so well in the Big Ten this year. This doesn't scream "talent" to me.

What were we getting when Erstad was hired? A guy who clearly can play baseball well. But can he teach it? That's the key question. We don't know the answer to that yet, and likely won't for a while.

I would think that we do know the answer, partially, by looking at batting and fielding improvements and the overall improvement in the W/L columns. Most of us also knew that the cupboard was close to bare when it came to pitching--once we saw the improved fielding and hitting, though, the question was whether this team could slug their way to the top of the Big 10, and that answer is 'no'.

But to sit here and post threads about how poor of a hire Tom made now is foolish. It shows a lack of patience, and a lack of context.

But this is the MO of certain posters on this board (e.g. Havok, Gumbercules)--***t all over Nebraska athletics when things aren't going their way, and then hop back on the bandwagon when it's picking up steam. It gets old, fast, and it really does no one any good--remember, the kids read these boards, too.

Of course, I'd like to think that this sort of thinking is localized to the current generation of Nebraska fans, but I do recall that there was all sorts of asshattery in the 80s when Dr. Tom was perceived as someone that couldn't win 'the big one'.

Perhaps it's just a subset of Nebraska fandom culture that we have folks like Havok and Gumbercules that try to work the crowds into a pitchfork and torch-carrying froth or s**t all over any positivity or hope given to our programs?

What were we getting when Erstad was hired? A guy who clearly can play baseball well. But can he teach it? That's the key question. We don't know the answer to that yet, and likely won't for a while.

I would think that we do know the answer, partially, by looking at batting and fielding improvements and the overall improvement in the W/L columns. Most of us also knew that the cupboard was close to bare when it came to pitching--once we saw the improved fielding and hitting, though, the question was whether this team could slug their way to the top of the Big 10, and that answer is 'no'.

But to sit here and post threads about how poor of a hire Tom made now is foolish. It shows a lack of patience, and a lack of context.

But this is the MO of certain posters on this board (e.g. Havok, Gumbercules)--***t all over Nebraska athletics when things aren't going their way, and then hop back on the bandwagon when it's picking up steam. It gets old, fast, and it really does no one any good--remember, the kids read these boards, too.

Of course, I'd like to think that this sort of thinking is localized to the current generation of Nebraska fans, but I do recall that there was all sorts of asshattery in the 80s when Dr. Tom was perceived as someone that couldn't win 'the big one'.

Perhaps it's just a subset of Nebraska fandom culture that we have folks like Havok and Gumbercules that try to work the crowds into a pitchfork and torch-carrying froth or s**t all over any positivity or hope given to our programs?

Are you kidding me? This is a joke right? I have said since the get go this season that it wasn't going to be a good one. I also said, and stand by, that we are performing WAY better than I thought that we would. I'm sorry that my view of the BASEBALL program doesn't match up with yours. I would love to find one place where I have 'bashed' another program, outside of the bowling one, which I would love to say I know more about than almost anyone on here.

Again, read my post, you will see that I said we have to take a "wait and see" attitude the next couple of years and see what happens. However, the recruiting restrictions don't allow for us to over sign and will also penalize us if someone leaves before graduation, both things that will doom baseball programs. This will make it tough to consistently get talent in here to help us compete nationally. Can we do it? Sure. But it's going to take a helluva coaching job.

Who told us we have "quite a bit of talent on this team?" I seem to have missed the origin of this line.

From what I can tell, that's been the common groupthink mantra, but it has never been proven true, not with the group on the field right now.

Bear in mind, I'm not throwing this team under the bus. It is what it is. I like the guys and I think they're doing well. But we were the last-place team in the Big XII last year, and we're not doing so well in the Big Ten this year. This doesn't scream "talent" to me.

Anderson pulled in top end recruiting classes. If you don't want to buy them, you don't have to, but a lot of the "recruiting rankings" in baseball is coming from where scouts have them projected and what not. It's not perfect, just like football, but it is not a bad system either. A team without talent doesn't hit .315...

Are you kidding me? This is a joke right? I have said since the get go this season that it wasn't going to be a good one. I also said, and stand by, that we are performing WAY better than I thought that we would. I'm sorry that my view of the BASEBALL program doesn't match up with yours. I would love to find one place where I have 'bashed' another program, outside of the bowling one, which I would love to say I know more about than almost anyone on here.

Again, read my post, you will see that I said we have to take a "wait and see" attitude the next couple of years and see what happens. However, the recruiting restrictions don't allow for us to over sign and will also penalize us if someone leaves before graduation, both things that will doom baseball programs. This will make it tough to consistently get talent in here to help us compete nationally. Can we do it? Sure. But it's going to take a helluva coaching job.

So do you? or don't you? Just curious.

Anderson pulled in top end recruiting classes. If you don't want to buy them, you don't have to, but a lot of the "recruiting rankings" in baseball is coming from where scouts have them projected and what not. It's not perfect, just like football, but it is not a bad system either. A team without talent doesn't hit .315...

I didn't say we don't have talent. I said it's not self-evident that we have "a lot of talent."

OK, so we're ranked 14th in the country at the plate. That's fantastic.

We're also ranked 123rd in ERA. That's not so fantastic.

We can cherry-pick stats to prove a point, I'm sure. But the reality is, talented or not, this team has a lot of work to do. That's why I'm not so upset that we're struggling to earn a Big Ten tourney berth after all the talk about dominating the Big Ten. We haven't proven to be a top-tier team yet.

I've gone to more games this year than the last five years combined, and I'll probably go to an equal number of games next year. I'm supporting this team... I'm just not sold on how great it is yet. But I don't doubt we can get there.

What?

You know what. You're whole post was a tapdance around the observation that you and certain others on this board love to s**t all over other posters that were positive. Anyone following this season knew on paper that we didn't have the kids to make the tourney, but when they were playing above their station, the tendency is for fans to be optimistic.

Your tendency, when those fans became optimistic, was to verbally s**t on them with your negativity. Granted, you're not as bad as Gumbercules, but you were bad about being a fecal-covered wet blanket when the team was playing well.

What?

You know what. You're whole post was a tapdance around the observation that you and certain others on this board love to s**t all over other posters that were positive. Anyone following this season knew on paper that we didn't have the kids to make the tourney, but when they were playing above their station, the tendency is for fans to be optimistic.

Your tendency, when those fans became optimistic, was to verbally s**t on them with your negativity. Granted, you're not as bad as Gumbercules, but you were bad about being a fecal-covered wet blanket when the team was playing well.

Do you actually have something of substance to bring to the conversation? I'm pretty sure I don't see if if you do. Because I said from the get go that we weren't going to be an NCAA tourney team and I said that I was not required to get my hopes up and drink the koolaid that you and others were drinking with this team makes me someone that sh*ts on everyone? If so, oh well, I guess that's gonna be the way it is. I'm sorry that I had an objective lookout from the get go and saw this team as one that would not be in the NCAAs.

I haven't 'tapdanced' around any issue. I've answered everything you've asked. You completely ignored my response to you. Seems like I'm definitely the one ignoring things I don't want to respond to though, huh?