Florida St and Clemson to Big12

Expansion is not imminent according to this story:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/22/perfect-10-uts-dodds-doesnt-see-need-to-expand-big-12/

Actual quote from the article (I am not doctoring this up in any way)

In a conversation with Dennis Dodd of CBSSports.com, the Big 12 commissioner UT athletic director confirmed that, yes, he really doesn’t feel the need to add members to the Big 12′s current roll.

From the other thread, remember what FSU's motivations are:

-FSU is pissed at the ACC for their incompetence (there's no way they should have come out with a lower payment per school/per year than the Big XII--unless maybe they had Dan Beebe doing negotiations?)

-FSU needs money to build facilities to compete not only against other ACC teams, but the whole of the SEC. Each SEC school makes more money than FSU does, and the SEC is using that to help take recruits in Florida that FSU would have easily nabbed before. Can't remember the article, but it mentioned that FSU was being beaten out on recruits by the Mississippi schools, and that MSU and Vandy had better facilities than FSU did.

-FSU needs media exposure. The new ACC deal doesn't provide anywhere close to the same level of exposure that the SEC deal currently does. Plus, the SEC is rumored to be looking at creating a SEC Network in the same style of the Big Ten Network (read: a whole conference endeavor). FSU *would* be able to create their own network in the Big XII, but it will be a low-production value affair, and FSU would have the burden of all start-up costs.

FSU can't remedy these issues by joining up with the Big XII. Sure, they'll get more money, but they'll now have network and travel costs to eat away at whatever bump up in pay ($3-4 million/yr.) they would get.

Will FSU go anywhere? I don't know, but I think there's enough anti-ACC rhetoric out there on FSU's part that it will be tough for them to stay. But when you examine the motives behind FSU's displeasure with the ACC, it becomes clear that they won't resolve their problems by joining the Big XII--they'll just delay the inevitable. The B1G is the only conference FSU could join that would provide them with enough money, a big enough network, and enough clout to take on the SEC.

This would be geographically retarded.

Agree.

As geographically retarded as West Virginia in the Big XII though? :)

Will FSU go anywhere? I don't know, but I think there's enough anti-ACC rhetoric out there on FSU's part that it will be tough for them to stay. But when you examine the motives behind FSU's displeasure with the ACC, it becomes clear that they won't resolve their problems by joining the Big XII--they'll just delay the inevitable. The B1G is the only conference FSU could join that would provide them with enough money, a big enough network, and enough clout to take on the SEC.

Why would any university change leagues due to fan and administration griping about a weak conference that is only concerned about one state's welfare and jumping to a stronger conference for more money?

Oh, wait.

Nevermind

Why would any university change leagues due to fan and administration griping about a weak conference that is only concerned about one state's welfare and jumping to a stronger conference for more money?

Oh, wait.

Nevermind

I_see_what_you_did_there_super.jpg

:)

---

I think the ultimate question that must be asked in the right frame or context is whether or not FSU to the Big XII makes FSU better in the long run. And by 'better', FSU admins and alum mean 'better than or equal to *all* Florida and SEC schools.'

Interesting article-thanks for posting that.

What's funny is the related articles had a piece that suggested the ACC execs screwed up negotiations with ESPN and let rights go too cheap.

Had the ACC execs done their job, we wouldn't be discussing a possible defection. Instead, the collegiate doomsday clock moves one minute closer to midnight...

So what's the significance in the Big 12 tabling expansion "for the near future"?

The Big 12 commish DeLoss Dodds and Oklahoma don't want no conference championship to screw up a chance at the playoffs, and the little 8 are scared to death if they grow a pair and don't give in to them, they will leave.