Florida St and Clemson to Big12

I know this has been discussed in a B1G thread, but there seems to be legs to this so I thought it needed a thread here.

It all comes down to money and the playoff format.

If the playoff format is decided by some sort of RPI, one loss in the ACC could leave either of these teams on the outside looking in. The Big12 is simply more competitive than the ACC.

The ACC and ESPN have reportedly agreed to a deal that pays out 17 million to each member. I believe the Big12 is currently paying out 19 million and negotiating their top teir rights. I havent seen any projections on what will get, but with FSU and Clemson I would guess they could do better than 22 million.

But I heard someone on the radion say no school has moved from a better academic conference to a poorer academic conference. There is a ton of academic allotment money also involved.

More drama.

I know this has been discussed in a B1G thread, but there seems to be legs to this so I thought it needed a thread here.

It all comes down to money and the playoff format.

If the playoff format is decided by some sort of RPI, one loss in the ACC could leave either of these teams on the outside looking in. The Big12 is simply more competitive than the ACC.

The ACC and ESPN have reportedly agreed to a deal that pays out 17 million to each member. I believe the Big12 is currently paying out 19 million and negotiating their top teir rights. I havent seen any projections on what will get, but with FSU and Clemson I would guess they could do better than 22 million.

But I heard someone on the radion say no school has moved from a better academic conference to a poorer academic conference. There is a ton of academic allotment money also involved.

More drama.

Playoff or not, one loss in the ACC should leave any team on the outside looking in.

The Big 12 may be unrecognizable in a few years if these two schools are added because I don't think it would end with them. You would have West Virginia, FSU and Clemson way east with 12 schools in the conference. It would only make sense to keep adding schools in the east and get the conference up to 16. Go after Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Louisville and Miami. The rest of the ACC would be scrambling. I could see Maryland and Virginia begging the BIG to let them in, maybe even Duke and NC. Whatever is left will combine with the Big East into a good basketball and horrible football conference. If you split the Big 12 into east and west divisions of 8 teams, you would still need one of the old Big 12 schools to be in the east. I could see either TCU or Iowa State getting slapped in the face with that and have travel all over the east coast for games. Just another reason I am glad we are already safe and sound in the BIG.

Is all this kinda our fault? (Colorado, too, since they left before us...)

If there is fault to be found in the annals of the Big XII, you'll have to look at Kansas State and Iowa State, the two schools who pushed to expand in the early 90s and who were most directly involved in adding the SWC refugees - especially Texas, whom they heavily courted.

True. Wasn't Osborne against adding anyone from the SWC? I've read that after years and years of drubbings, some Big 8 teams voted on issues that would hamper Nebraska many times mostly out of spite, and in many cases, Osborne would be the only dissenting vote, like on the partial-qualifier issue.

Osborne really is an interesting guy. While the Brothers Pelini were flipping out on Big 12 admin. after the UT grad ref put a second back on the clock, when the press approached Osborne about the situation, he was like 'Meh. Been on both sides of it.' And that was all.

During one of the losing seasons of the Callahan era, Steve Taylor contacted Osborne, expressing his concerns and sadness at the direction of the program. Osborne simply told him to be patient, that these things have a way of working themselves out.

Halftime of the 95 Orange when he told his players not to retaliate to the Hurricanes, and they'd get hit with a penalty that would really hurt them and help us...

A prophet if we ever knew one.

All the Texas schools, Clemson and FSU in the South...ISU, OSU, OU, Kansas, KState, WV and VTech in the North...all the old Big 8 rivalries stay and the travel times and expenses take a cut for everybody. We get our championship game and our B12-SEC Bowl.

Shoulda stuck it out...but you still got the PAC 12 to play with...

All the Texas schools, Clemson and FSU in the South...ISU, OSU, OU, Kansas, KState, WV and VTech in the North...all the old Big 8 rivalries stay and the travel times and expenses take a cut for everybody. We get our championship game and our B12-SEC Bowl.

You have 7 in the North and 6 in the south, was that on purpose? Not that I would not take Va. Tech, but think they would more likely go to the SEC.

You have 7 in the North and 6 in the south, was that on purpose? Not that I would not take Va. Tech, but think they would more likely go to the SEC.

Yep me too. Every time I see VT mentioned it has something to do with the SEC...I don't know how likely that is with the UVA dynamic though.