Nate Montana transfering again

Nate Montana, the son of NFL Hall of Famer Joe Montana, will continue his own quarterback career with NCAA Division II school West Virginia Wesleyan following a transfer from the University of Montana.

Montana Jr. was a walk-on at his father's alma mater, Notre Dame, before transferring to their namesake university last year.

He played in eight games for the Grizzlies as a backup last season, completing 26 of 42 passes for 274 yards and two touchdowns, with one interception.

UM coach Mick Delaney said the fifth-year senior requested the waiver to get more playing time.

"He wants to be on the field, and he'll get that opportunity [in Buckhannon, W.Va.]," he told the Missoulian.

Wow. Selfish.

I would like to see a stat showing the stats racked up by transfers. Russell Wilson is, off the top of my head, one of the more successful transfers that I can think of. Leaving JUCO totally out of the discussion, it seems to me that the majority of these guys who transfer never see the success they're looking for.

Anyone know where I can find info on that?

I would like to see a stat showing the stats racked up by transfers. Russell Wilson is, off the top of my head, one of the more successful transfers that I can think of. Leaving JUCO totally out of the discussion, it seems to me that the majority of these guys who transfer never see the success they're looking for.

Harrison Beck was a GOD!

Maybe the schools offical website? They have all the stats normally.

Harrison Beck was a GOD!

So was Sam Keller, so it all comes out in the wash.

Successful transfer QBs, off the top of my head, include Wilson, Scott Frost, Troy Aikman, Zac Taylor, and Jevan Snead (mixed success).

A little bit of digging (http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2011/10/bestworst_college_football_qb.php) reminds me of Ryan Mallett, Colt Brennan, Jeff Hostetler, and Nick Foles.

Of course there have been many flops too. Mitch Mustain is the biggest one I can recall in recent history. The article above lists Snead and Keller among the biggest busts. I disagree, at least both started, even if we discovered that Keller should not have over Ganz. Really, these guys are just looking for a shot, and most wouldn't have gotten it where they are at. I don't know where Harrison Beck is now, but at least he finally got on the field at North Alabama or wherever he finished playing. The fact that he could only find success in Div 2 says that we were better off freeing up the scholarship or even the locker room space

Then there are the anti-transfers, the ones who stay even though chances of seeing the field look bleak, and they pull success out of it anyway. Bruce Mathieson is a classic, he held the clipboard a number of years in the pros even though he rarely saw game action at Nebraska. Brook Berringer only saw meaningful action after Frazier got hurt and was clearly going to get a shot in the NFL. Matt Cassell stayed on the bench at USC and became an NFL starter. Vinnie Testaverde waited for Kosar to leave (but only because Kosar hinted he'd leave early), and Leinart waited for Palmer to go. This shows that transferring isn't necessarily the right answer.

Successful transfer QBs, off the top of my head, include Wilson, Scott Frost, Troy Aikman, Zac Taylor, and Jevan Snead (mixed success).

A little bit of digging (http://blogs.houston...football_qb.php) reminds me of Ryan Mallett, Colt Brennan, Jeff Hostetler, and Nick Foles.

Of course there have been many flops too. Mitch Mustain is the biggest one I can recall in recent history. The article above lists Snead and Keller among the biggest busts. I disagree, at least both started, even if we discovered that Keller should not have over Ganz. Really, these guys are just looking for a shot, and most wouldn't have gotten it where they are at. I don't know where Harrison Beck is now, but at least he finally got on the field at North Alabama or wherever he finished playing. The fact that he could only find success in Div 2 says that we were better off freeing up the scholarship or even the locker room space

Then there are the anti-transfers, the ones who stay even though chances of seeing the field look bleak, and they pull success out of it anyway. Bruce Mathieson is a classic, he held the clipboard a number of years in the pros even though he rarely saw game action at Nebraska. Brook Berringer only saw meaningful action after Frazier got hurt and was clearly going to get a shot in the NFL. Matt Cassell stayed on the bench at USC and became an NFL starter. Vinnie Testaverde waited for Kosar to leave (but only because Kosar hinted he'd leave early), and Leinart waited for Palmer to go. This shows that transferring isn't necessarily the right answer.

I didnt know Foles was a transfer.

A little bit of digging (http://blogs.houston...football_qb.php) reminds me of Ryan Mallett, Colt Brennan, Jeff Hostetler, and Nick Foles.

I'd guess that transfers who have already graduated outperform the ones that just couldn't win the job. One time Dayne Crist please.

• 7 months later...