What will make 2012 a successful season?

Honestly, I'd be happy with losing less than 4 games, and not getting blown out. If we don't win the division, and go 10-3 or 11-2 with some close losses (TD or less) than I wouldn't be upset.

Honestly, I'd be happy with losing less than 4 games, and not getting blown out. If we don't win the division, and go 10-3 or 11-2 with some close losses (TD or less) than I wouldn't be upset.

I'd be both really surprised and really thrilled of NU in fact lost fewer than 4 games, never got blown out and went 10-3 or 11-2. But I'd expect a regular season of 7-5 or perhaps 8-4 --- anything worse is really unlikely and anything better is as well pretty unlikely.

pretty much my expectations as well............

The most attainable goal --- in terms of win/loss and on-field performance this season will be to finish ranked. I'd think NU has a 50/50 chance of finishing ranked. To win the division? Not happening. Of course then winning the conference is unobtainable as are any aspirations for a BCS game or an MNC. But finishing ranked is possible (though by no means certain).

A successful season then would be great effort and focus on the field (something NU has not accomplished yet under Pelini) and finishing ranked. This then constitutes a successful season. Expectations beyond this are overly optimistic and not realistic.

Expectations under a certain threshold are overly pessimistic and not realistic as well. Teams under Pelini have proven that 1) they will finish ranked, and 2) that 10 wins seems to be a threshold.

The difference between winning 10 games and winning 12, or 13, or 14, at least to be are very minute. The same can be said about the difference between winning 7 games and 8, 9, or 10, but Pelini coached teams have proven that, given the amount of talent that Nebraska (as a program, which hasn't won much since 1997, in a different region than Texas, the South, or California) can bring in, they will win at least 9 games and finish the season ranked.

Why this year is so different to people predicting an unranked year is beyond me. You have your reasons, and that's fine and everything. We each see something different in this team. Some see the capacity for greatness, to excel beyond what appears to be our threshold. Some see problems, the potential for disaster, to have our worst year under Pelini.

To me, the latter doesn't seem probable--there are too many good things going and the difference between 10 and 12,13, and 14 wins is a small one. It's a small step, but it takes a lot of effort to climb that step. With the experience of last year, I don't think the team is going to allow that to repeat itself this year.

I think we are capable of a 10-2 regular season, the two losses coming by 10 or less against Ohio State, Michigan State, Wisconsin, or Michigan--in any combination. If we keep the losses close, then by far this season is more successful than the one before, even if the record stays the same.

It's just pessimism, not trolling, from skersfan. He's as good a guy as they come.

His predictions have been more measured than most over the years, not riding the tide of optimism that many of us are prone to, and they've largely served him well. I think it is to the point where skers is being a little too pessimistic about our shot this year, but as he says, the team can show him wrong.

I don't think a collapse can be something easily predicted, but it is a pivotal year for the gang.

Yeah, I've seen this game over and over. Predict the worst outcome, and then when the team beats your "prediction" you say "hmm, they got lucky." Then, say you've been pretty accurate with your predictions over the last few years to justify it, because nobody is going to check your posts. This happens over, and over, and over on every CFB message board, every single year.

It's lame.

Or people predict 11-2, or 12-1...then when it doesn't happen blame it on youth, injuries, the gravitational pull of the moon, etc. This happens over, and over, and over on every CFB message board, every single year.

It's lame. :P

I agree with this as well. But, the one difference, is many of the people that think pie in the sky, also admit that they're drinking the koolaid. The overly pessismistic folks talk about how they're "realists" and portray an attitude that everyone who thinks the team will do better than their apocalyptic prediction is a koolaid drinking moron.

I'd be both really surprised and really thrilled of NU in fact lost fewer than 4 games, never got blown out and went 10-3 or 11-2. But I'd expect a regular season of 7-5 or perhaps 8-4 --- anything worse is really unlikely and anything better is as well pretty unlikely.

You said 7-5 last year.

:P

To me, the latter doesn't seem probable--there are too many good things going and the difference between 10 and 12,13, and 14 wins is a small one. It's a small step, but it takes a lot of effort to climb that step. With the experience of last year, I don't think the team is going to allow that to repeat itself this year.

I disagree with this entirely. This is one of those posts like "Mike Caputo was awesome". The difference between 10 and 12 wins is major. 4 BCS teams had 12 or more wins last year, while well over 20 had 10 wins. 1 BCS team got to 13 wins, and they didn't even win the MNC. And the difference between 10 and 14 is the difference between a 20ish ranking and a National Championship after an undefeated, completely dominating season. There can only be 1 of those, and a lot of years there isn't any.

There is not a single, proven thing that supports a 12 win prediction. Words like "should" and "potential" are the only thing that you can use to support such a prediction, one based entirely on "hope". Doesn't mean it can't happen...we've see weirder things, and bigger turnarounds (Auburn 10'). But T-Mart isn't Cam Newton.

Saunders45:

Actually, I said 8-4 highest probability and 7-5 next highest but close --- and vacillated with time between the two. This is again my prediction for this year --- which scenario is more likely is something that will develop more fully with time (as we see how practices go, injuries, etc. just prior to the seasons start)... but for now, at this moment, the 8-4 is perhaps more more likely than the 7-5 (just a hunch) --- anything better or worse seems really unlikely at this juncture.

So... i see this year as going very much like last year. Little to no progress and little to no regression. Basically like last year where at seasons end it will be touch and go as to whether we are ranked or not.

I disagree with this entirely. This is one of those posts like "Mike Caputo was awesome". The difference between 10 and 12 wins is major. 4 BCS teams had 12 or more wins last year, while well over 20 had 10 wins. 1 BCS team got to 13 wins, and they didn't even win the MNC. And the difference between 10 and 14 is the difference between a 20ish ranking and a National Championship after an undefeated, completely dominating season. There can only be 1 of those, and a lot of years there isn't any.

There is not a single, proven thing that supports a 12 win prediction. Words like "should" and "potential" are the only thing that you can use to support such a prediction, one based entirely on "hope". Doesn't mean it can't happen...we've see weirder things, and bigger turnarounds (Auburn 10'). But T-Mart isn't Cam Newton.

Well duh, Who the hell is another Cam Newton? :rolleyes:

Your saying that unless you've got easily the best player in all of cfb (at qb to boot) that you can't predict anything? Newsflash Chris, there's nobody in the Big10 that's even remotely proven to be that good. Nobody.

If it makes you feel relavant & a big stud ripping our qb because he isn't that good then more power to you. Par. But it's essentially meaningless as nobody else has one either. Or a Bo Jackson, Barry Sanders, Dan Marino, etc.

There is not a single, proven thing that supports a 9 or less win prediction. Words like "shouldn't" and "can't" are the only thing that you can use to support such a prediction, one based entirely on being "negative".

However, we "do" have experienced & talented offensive skill players reurning everywhere (qb, rb, wrs, te) as well as boatloads of highly recruited big uglies that will play this year. A returning OC as well. There's LOTS of good reasons to be optimistic about that side of the ball.

Defensively we have returning players at all three levels with a proven good defensive DC/HC. Yeah, 2011 was a let down but 2010, 2009 & 2003 were simply great & 2008 was excellent relative to the previous year under another HC. I think Bo has well earned a one year mulligan on that side of the ball.

Of course nobody knows for sure but to state we're doomed because we don't have a proven Cam Newton is just stupid.

GBR!!

Your saying that unless you've got easily the best player in all of cfb (at qb to boot) that you can't predict anything? Newsflash Chris, there's nobody in the Big10 that's even remotely proven to be that good. Nobody.

If it makes you feel relavant & a big stud ripping our qb because he isn't that good then more power to you. Par. But it's essentially meaningless as nobody else has one either. Or a Bo Jackson, Barry Sanders, Dan Marino, etc.

There is not a single, proven thing that supports a 9 or less win prediction. Words like "shouldn't" and "can't" are the only thing that you can use to support such a prediction, one based entirely on being "negative".

However, we "do" have experienced & talented offensive skill players reurning everywhere (qb, rb, wrs, te) as well as boatloads of highly recruited big uglies that will play this year. A returning OC as well. There's LOTS of good reasons to be optimistic about that side of the ball.

Defensively we have returning players at all three levels with a proven good defensive DC/HC. Yeah, 2011 was a let down but 2010, 2009 & 2003 were simply great & 2008 was excellent relative to the previous year under another HC. I think Bo has well earned a one year mulligan on that side of the ball.

Of course nobody knows for sure but to state we're doomed because we don't have a proven Cam Newton is just stupid.

GBR!!

Lol where do you get this stuff from, it's like you see someone mention T-marts name in a bad light and just go blind with rage. Where did he say anything remotely close to that?

As far as the season goes, I think anything less than 8 wins is pessimsm, but I wouldn't think an 8 win season is impossible. 8-10 wins depending on lucky breaks and who our bowl opponent is.

GBR!!

Lol where do you get this stuff from, it's like you see someone mention T-marts name in a bad light and just go blind with rage. Where did he say anything remotely close to that?

As far as the season goes, I think anything less than 8 wins is pessimsm, but I wouldn't think an 8 win season is impossible. 8-10 wins depending on lucky breaks and who our bowl opponent is.

heh...blind rage? Just shut up.

I should have been clearer. It's a small step, but it takes a lot of effort to climb it.

The difference between 10 wins and 11 wins could be one play (a la Michigan State hail mary). But to achieve that, takes more effort than meets the eye.

And there is not a single proven thing that supports a 7 or an 8 win season either. Words like "should" and "potential" are the only things that you can use to support such a prediction, one based entirely on "despair". Doesn't mean it can't happen...we've seen weirder things, and bigger come-aparts (Auburn from '10 to '11). But we as a program don't ride on seasons like a roller coaster.

Pelini teams have proven that

1) They will finish the year ranked.

-and-

2) They will manage at least 9 wins.

To expect anything below that is betting against the house.

well which season are we talking about? i guess autumn is coming up...i could use a few inches of rain, about once a week with the occasional thunderstorm, no tornadoes around my area, tempertures in the mid to high 60's with a cool breeze every now and then. that sounds like a successful season...

:facepalm:

I should have been clearer. It's a small step, but it takes a lot of effort to climb it.

The difference between 10 wins and 11 wins could be one play (a la Michigan State hail mary). But to achieve that, takes more effort than meets the eye.

And there is not a single proven thing that supports a 7 or an 8 win season either. Words like "should" and "potential" are the only things that you can use to support such a prediction, one based entirely on "despair". Doesn't mean it can't happen...we've seen weirder things, and bigger come-aparts (Auburn from '10 to '11). But we as a program don't ride on seasons like a roller coaster.

Pelini teams have proven that

1) They will finish the year ranked.

-and-

2) They will manage at least 9 wins.

To expect anything below that is betting against the house.

Definitely agree with you then, it goes both ways. I see what you meant now. That's why I'm at 9. Not saying 8 couldn't happen, or 11 but 9 or 10 seems most likely based on everything we know. 10 if we don't drop an easy one, 9 if we do.