Season keys . . .

My keys to a successful Nebraska football season:

1. Dominant line play

2. Minimize turnovers

3. Minimize penalties

These are the 3 biggest ones IMO. We do these 3 things and do them well, and we have a damn good football team this fall.

Great top three and in my mind #2 and #3 are the things we can control and if only they happen I think we can snag 10 wins ........ give me #1 and it will be great.

Turnovers and penalties for sure. That is something we can do regardless of improvement in talent or coaching. These two areas alone, IMO, could get us at least one and maybe two more wins from last year even if everything else is identical.

I would also love to see a more ball hawking D. I know last year was a perfect storm of new DB's, new coach and inept line play, but I think that another year of experience and Joseph's mentality we should see improvement.

As much as I would love to see Martinez play lights out in the passing game, I am not expecting much. Just too many years of coach speak. If teams are going to stack the box, and I am sure they will, Beck really needs to either have a power game to knock them out of the box or use a lot more misdirection, drwas, delays, bubble screens and passes to the RB out of the backfield. Also let Martinez go like 2010. Go for broke with the zone read. This will open up the passing game which Martinez excels in......the 7-8 yrd routes.

If we can't find a way to get the D out of the box, we will need another 2009 D.

Again, limit TO's and penalties and we see a great improvement. I definitely don't see us going backwards on either side.

Turnovers and penalties for sure. That is something we can do regardless of improvement in talent or coaching. These two areas alone, IMO, could get us at least one and maybe two more wins from last year even if everything else is identical.

I would also love to see a more ball hawking D. I know last year was a perfect storm of new DB's, new coach and inept line play, but I think that another year of experience and Joseph's mentality we should see improvement.

As much as I would love to see Martinez play lights out in the passing game, I am not expecting much. Just too many years of coach speak. If teams are going to stack the box, and I am sure they will, Beck really needs to either have a power game to knock them out of the box or use a lot more misdirection, drwas, delays, bubble screens and passes to the RB out of the backfield. Also let Martinez go like 2010. Go for broke with the zone read. This will open up the passing game which Martinez excels in......the 7-8 yrd routes.

If we can't find a way to get the D out of the box, we will need another 2009 D.

Again, limit TO's and penalties and we see a great improvement. I definitely don't see us going backwards on either side.

We need to force turnovers as well. This has been lacking the past few years.

We will have the toys on defense to be able to be very cutting edge on that side of the football. We didn't have that last year.

I completely agree with this. Yes we lost Dennard (who was hurt for a chunk of last year anyways), but we reload with Seisay. And look for Stafford to do big things back there this year too. Can you even say that we lost Crick from last year to this year? He was never healthy last year. And Kaczenski will have our Dline in good shape IMO. As far was LBs, no argument that we have a hole there; replacing David will not be easy. But Compton started to do some good things last year, Zaire should help the replacement process, and with three talented freshman coming in, maybe one can make an impact. Not saying the defense will be very cutting edge, but the toys are there for the opportunity.

I didn't think Dennard was truly himself until the Michigan State game. Then he stunk up the joint in the bowl game. So really we're replacing a guy who was a great player for about 5 games last year. Not exactly insurmountable. David on the other hand; there's just no replacing that guy. Just have to hope Compton, Whaley, and somebody make due.

I didn't think Dennard was truly himself until the Michigan State game. Then he stunk up the joint in the bowl game. So really we're replacing a guy who was a great player for about 5 games last year. Not exactly insurmountable. David on the other hand; there's just no replacing that guy. Just have to hope Compton, Whaley, and somebody make due.

Exactly! And I'm not saying Zaire will be the next David, but I see a lot of similarities between the two.

1. Dominant line play

2. Minimize turnovers

3. Minimize penalties

These are the 3 biggest ones IMO. We do these 3 things and do them well, and we have a damn good football team this fall.

You hit it on the head. Do this and we win 10 games easily. Maybe all of them.

1. Dominant line play

2. Minimize turnovers

3. Minimize penalties

You hit it on the head. Do this and we win 10 games easily. Maybe all of them.

this is a winning strategy for any team........