Martinez QB Camp Update

There may be no better quarterback on Earth than Tom Brady, and he continues to solicit advice from his old high-school coach, who continues to notice changes in Brady's mechanics. As I recall, the Patriots finallly put him on the payroll.

Same coach has been sought out by high school, college and pro qbs. No matter what the qb's perceived problem, Coach always starts with the footwork. Most issues aren't arm issues, they're footwork issues.

Tom Martinez, Brady's old coach, has passed away. And a flawed throwing motion (side arm) presents some real problems as well.

Definitely, but the drop back is arguably one of the most underrated and most looked over quarterback mechanics out there when it comes to fan analysis. People don't realize that too many steps, or too few, can drastically alter a play even if the variability in those steps is minimum. Also where the feet are planted, and how they're shuffled, are very important. In the brief spring film we got to watch, when Martinez planted his feet correctly, his throws looked markedly better. Whether they hit their target, of course, I couldn't see.

Martinez wasn't the only guy at Calhoun's QB Camp. Keith Price (whom some here were saying was a better QB than Martinez after the Washington game) and Cody Fajardo from Nevada were there with Martinez.

I'm betting Huskies and Wolfpack fans weren't griping that their quarterbacks were at a QB Camp in the off season. I'd bet they were pretty happy about it. It's hard for me to fathom why anyone would see Martinez attending this camp as a bad thing.

Keith Price did look pretty dang good in that game. I bet plenty of Washington fans were saying Martinez was nothing short of one of the most dominant QB threats in CFB after Washington 1.0 too though. Funny how entire seasons tend to even things out.

We all also have to remember, if there's one thing Pelini is good at...it's making opposing dual threat QBs look better than they really are. In context Price is still really rough, but I liked the kid against us.

(which makes me wonder - maybe Martinez got the starting nod early because he looks so dang dominant in practice tearing up our first team defense. in reality so does every other mobile QB so you almost have to take it with a grain of salt. likewise, Lee probably looked terrible against a Pelini defense in practice.)

Martinez wasn't the only guy at Calhoun's QB Camp. Keith Price (whom some here were saying was a better QB than Martinez after the Washington game) and Cody Fajardo from Nevada were there with Martinez.

I'm betting Huskies and Wolfpack fans weren't griping that their quarterbacks were at a QB Camp in the off season. I'd bet they were pretty happy about it. It's hard for me to fathom why anyone would see Martinez attending this camp as a bad thing.

Keith Price did look pretty dang good in that game. I bet plenty of Washington fans were saying Martinez was nothing short of one of the most dominant QB threats in CFB after Washington 1.0 too though. Funny how entire seasons tend to even things out.

We all also have to remember, if there's one thing Pelini is good at...it's making opposing dual threat QBs look better than they really are. In context Price is still really rough, but I liked the kid against us.

(which makes me wonder - maybe Martinez got the starting nod early because he looks so dang dominant in practice tearing up our first team defense. in reality so does every other mobile QB so you almost have to take it with a grain of salt. likewise, Lee probably looked terrible against a Pelini defense in practice.)

Heh. A "lot" of people say it was exactly just that (including the blackshirt players). No doubt Bo realizes we're going to have to compromise in some way with fast opponent qbs.

I'm not sure it's only worth a grain of salt though. Everybody has problems with mobile qbs. But yes.......especially us. :confucius

I dont really get this part. You are saying it is his fault he has to go to QB camps? Maybe I am reading this wrong but i think it is great he is going to QB camps. there are a lot of QBs attending these camps. Another thing is if he wasnt at these camps what would he be doing sitting at home on the couch eating potato chips?? the coaches are not allowed to have any football related contact with the players. At least he is somewhere trying to get better.

A lot of QBs go (Zac Taylor went to the Manning camp!). I'm saying it's Taylor being behind (not his fault, per se...) that is the reason why he needs to make so many offseason improvements in mechanics. The article is pointing to that same need and saying "our QB coaching is lackluster because he's needing to get outside help." You're right, any QB could be putting in this kind of offseason effort, but Taylor having so much ground to make up with his footwork, etc, is what is being discussed. I don't think you can really pin that one on our QB coaches. When you recruit raw, project type QBs, it shouldn't be a shock when their mechanics are behind 'pro-style' HS quarterbacks.

I dont really get this part. You are saying it is his fault he has to go to QB camps? Maybe I am reading this wrong but i think it is great he is going to QB camps. there are a lot of QBs attending these camps. Another thing is if he wasnt at these camps what would he be doing sitting at home on the couch eating potato chips?? the coaches are not allowed to have any football related contact with the players. At least he is somewhere trying to get better.

A lot of QBs go (Zac Taylor went to the Manning camp!). I'm saying it's Taylor being behind (not his fault, per se...) that is the reason why he needs to make so many offseason improvements in mechanics. The article is pointing to that same need and saying "our QB coaching is lackluster because he's needing to get outside help." You're right, any QB could be putting in this kind of offseason effort, but Taylor having so much ground to make up with his footwork, etc, is what is being discussed. I don't think you can really pin that one on our QB coaches. When you recruit raw, project type QBs, it shouldn't be a shock when their mechanics are behind 'pro-style' HS quarterbacks.

i guess it took 2 years for our staff to figure out he needed outside development?...........wow...

http://www.huskerloc...ecruiting-23863

Interesting bit from this website about how Taylor had to seek out a QB coach to help him with his mechanics. I never really thought about it that way, but now that I do, it's absolutely a sad situation as far as Nebraska's ability to coach and develop QB's. A player should not have to go back to California to work on his technique. Beck should not be both QB coach/ and Offensive Coordinator. This University needs a QB coach, and matter of factly, it needs one that will let the world know that NU is a place where QB's come to take the next step. Nebraska doesn't send QB's to the NFL. Based on the old style of play, it was never going to happen, but if we want to win in the college football world of today, we need someone who is full time committed to the most important position in all of football......THE QUARTERBACK! I think this is truly hurting the University more than we know.

All around great article, I absolutely agree with every point the guy makes.

I don't think it's because Tim Beck CAN'T teach the basic fundamentals because he seemed pretty well versed in fundamentals and mechanics when BTN host Gerry DiNardo sat down with him and broke film down.

You also need to take into consideration the time limitations a college coach has with the players. They're only permitted 20 hours a week while in season and can have no contact during winter and summer conditioning.

i guess it took 2 years for our staff to figure out he needed outside development?...........wow...

Where are you getting this idea? They very likely always knew.

you missed my subtle point badly......the staff sat on their hands, when they should have been getting his trechnique honed long ago........

Appears I'm one of the few Husker fans who think Taylor Martinez is actually a pretty good passer.

I'm in that camp with you - Taylor was whipping the ball around really well last season. The beginning of the Wisconsin game, Ohio State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Michigan State and a few others all had perfectly acceptable and adequate performances by Taylor from the quarterback position.

Thing is, you can't pick and choose what plays to "count" when you evaluate passing. He threw a ton of terrible passes as well.

What you can say is that he has the potential to be a good passer, because we have seen his potential.

you missed my subtle point badly......the staff sat on their hands, when they should have been getting his trechnique honed long ago........

Did they?........

Taylor's technique is always going to be a work in progress. It's not like there are magical changes that are going to happen now (not reasonable to expect it, anyway). Without the luxury of a redshirt year as QB it's been pretty much live fire for him, and don't forget, he has had a ton of other how-to-play-the-QB position stuff to make up as well. There was talk of getting him to go to California last summer for QB coaching, wasn't there? I don't know if that happened or not or the reasons why it might not have.

As many areas as Taylor has needed to work on, how could you know enough to make the statement 'the staff sat on their hands'?

If there's one thing to criticize the staff for, it's why Taylor seems to have unassailable job security. If it's true that we are doing everything possible to put him in a position to succeed...I can see the reasons for it, but why not have an open competition in the offseason and fall camp? Then get behind your starter for the season.

Did they?........

Taylor's technique is always going to be a work in progress. It's not like there are magical changes that are going to happen now (not reasonable to expect it, anyway). Without the luxury of a redshirt year as QB it's been pretty much live fire for him, and don't forget, he has had a ton of other how-to-play-the-QB position stuff to make up as well. There was talk of getting him to go to California last summer for QB coaching, wasn't there? I don't know if that happened or not or the reasons why it might not have.

As many areas as Taylor has needed to work on, how could you know enough to make the statement 'the staff sat on their hands'?

If there's one thing to criticize the staff for, it's why Taylor seems to have unassailable job security. If it's true that we are doing everything possible to put him in a position to succeed...I can see the reasons for it, but why not have an open competition in the offseason and fall camp? Then get behind your starter for the season.

i am with you on this, he should have camped somewhere last summer, maybe he just wasn't ready for it, but either way, i hope this staff picks qbs in the future that have demonstrated they can play the position and throw the ball......remember, NU was the only shcool willing to recruit him as a qb.......

Did they?........

i am with you on this, he should have camped somewhere last summer, maybe he just wasn't ready for it, but either way, i hope this staff picks qbs in the future that have demonstrated they can play the position and throw the ball......remember, NU was the only shcool willing to recruit him as a qb.......

You do know the coaches can't have direct contact with the players during the summer, right? Taylor (and his family) are paying for him to go to this QB camp. What exactly did/do you want the coaches to do? Get an NCAA violation?

i hope this staff picks qbs in the future that have demonstrated they can play the position and throw the ball......remember, NU was the only shcool willing to recruit him as a qb.......

Yes, me too. This Martinez guy has just been terrible for us. I sure hope they never take such a huge risk on anyone again because it clearly never works out.

i hope this staff picks qbs in the future that have demonstrated they can play the position and throw the ball......remember, NU was the only shcool willing to recruit him as a qb.......

Yes, me too. This Martinez guy has just been terrible for us. I sure hope they never take such a huge risk on anyone again because it clearly never works out.

That's right. That's why we recruited & won big games with Frost, Frazier & Crouch...because they were wizards throwing the ball. We need to get back to recruiting great throwing qbs.