Martinez QB Camp Update

If the o-line is a little better, I think the offense can be a lot better.

If the defense is a little better, the offense won't have to work out of a hole.

If we trim some turnovers - and force others - games can go an entirely different way.

I think we're close to being good, and really close to being fun as hell to watch.

But no excuses this year. We can be good with what we have.

If the o-line is a little better, I think the offense can be a lot better.

If the defense is a little better, the offense won't have to work out of a hole.

If we trim some turnovers - and force others - games can go an entirely different way.

I think we're close to being good, and really close to being fun as hell to watch.

But no excuses this year. We can be good with what we have.

the 3 IF's........that's 3 big corrections from past trends........i would be happy with 2 out of 3.

Some folks are moaning about our personnel. I'm merely saying a small amount of improvement -- the kind we should expect from 14 returning starters -- should get us the two more wins that we pissed down our leg last season.

That's why there's a lot more pressure on Bo Pelini than Taylor Martinez.

• 3 weeks later...

Taylor Martinez has 'progressively got worse' as a passer. Can he still turn the corner?

By Matt Hinton | CBSSports.com College Football Blogger, July 10, 2012 3:33 pm ET

<snip>

But that was then. By the same point last season, the homages to Martinez's legs had been gradually replaced by exasperation and outright mockery of his arm, which not only failed to recover from a late-season swoon in 2010, but actually seemed to regress as the 'Huskers limped through another deflating November. Martinez was much healthier in 2011 than he had been down the stretch as a redshirt freshman, but continued to struggle with his accuracy downfield, and subsequently found less and less room as a rusher against defenses that didn't respect his ability to challenge them deep. The offense as a whole was handcuffed in losses to Wisconsin, Michigan and South Carolina, as well as in defensively-driven wins over Michigan State and Penn State, and Martinez began to look less and less likely to buck his one-dimensional rep.

LINK

meh. An article from cbssports.com. It pretty much rehashes the same things that have been discussed on this board. For the past six months of offseason.

You either like Martinez or do not. Regardless of your position, one cannot deny that when he graduates, barring injury, in two years he will own most if not every QB record at NU. Think about that. All of the greats that have come through, won Hypesmans and MNC, Martinez will be the first name in the record books.

To me, what makes this all the more incredible is it was done with some of the most pathetic O Line play I have seen from a Huskers Unit. He has done this without benefit of sure handed receivers and I will also say without the benefit of stellar coaching. On the offensive side of the ball, other than Rex or Roy has there been a player that (so far) will be remembered for their "outstanding" play alongside Martinez? For me, no one yet.

Look at he greats that came before Martinez, look at the players they had around them, look at the coaching staff assembled, look at the winning record of those teams, look at the national recognition NU has as winners, not the joke of a squad Bo took over in 2008. This kid has made chicken salad out of chicken sh$$ to a large degree.

He has taken responsibility for this team. He has sought out a professional QB coach. Helped recruit (more like recruited) a kid who "might" take his job last year. He has grown up tremendously.

Do I think we will win a MNC because of him? No. Our mental mistakes, O line play, receiver drops etc.......will have to be over come. In reality, even with TF at the helm of this team we would be a long shot.

Martinez is an easy target, he is simply one guy, at a school who's fans love their QB's. This whole team needs to step up across the board if we wnat to win the B1G. I hear a lot of good things from camp, but I have heard the same crap since 2008. I am ready for results.

• Fire 9

Pretty much spot on on Taylor. Doing everything he can to get better, helping the program in every aspect and still he gets beat on. Played with injuries that most on here would have stayed at home whining about had bad it hurt to walk, but this kid did it in Division 1 college football.

Hope he has a great year so some can have a great big helping of STFUp.

• Fire 2

You either like Martinez or do not. Regardless of your position, one cannot deny that when he graduates, barring injury, in two years he will own most if not every QB record at NU. Think about that. All of the greats that have come through, won Hypesmans and MNC, Martinez will be the first name in the record books.

To me, what makes this all the more incredible is it was done with some of the most pathetic O Line play I have seen from a Huskers Unit. He has done this without benefit of sure handed receivers and I will also say without the benefit of stellar coaching. On the offensive side of the ball, other than Rex or Roy has there been a player that (so far) will be remembered for their "outstanding" play alongside Martinez? For me, no one yet.

Look at he greats that came before Martinez, look at the players they had around them, look at the coaching staff assembled, look at the winning record of those teams, look at the national recognition NU has as winners, not the joke of a squad Bo took over in 2008. This kid has made chicken salad out of chicken sh$$ to a large degree.

He has taken responsibility for this team. He has sought out a professional QB coach. Helped recruit (more like recruited) a kid who "might" take his job last year. He has grown up tremendously.

Do I think we will win a MNC because of him? No. Our mental mistakes, O line play, receiver drops etc.......will have to be over come. In reality, even with TF at the helm of this team we would be a long shot.

Martinez is an easy target, he is simply one guy, at a school who's fans love their QB's. This whole team needs to step up across the board if we wnat to win the B1G. I hear a lot of good things from camp, but I have heard the same crap since 2008. I am ready for results.

:thumbs

Games aren't being won because he is an exceptional quarterback and those records will be his because no one else has ever started all 4 years at QB before.

• Fire 1

Games aren't being won because he is an exceptional quarterback and those records will be his because no one else has ever started all 4 years at QB before.

You are correct. He sucks.......................Okie Light? Ohio State? Mizzou. He had absolutely nothing to do with those wins at all. :sarcasm

TF played four years at QB, Crouch 3. Again look at their assistance (players, staff, future NFL greats etc) and look at Martinez. Maybe we can put an asterisk beside his records. That way all the fans can say, yea he had that record, BUT it took him four years to get it.

:facepalm:

Except for first five games his freshman season T. Frazier did. Tmart is on track to totally blow away his records.

Frazier 509 passes for 49.1% completion ratio - 4003 yds - 47 TDs -18 interceptions

TMart 484 passes for 57.4% completion ratio - 3720 yds - 23 TDs - 15 interceptions

Frazier 386 rushes for 2263 yds (5.86 YPC) - 36 TDs

Tmart 350 rushes for 1839 yds (5.25 YPC) - 21 TDs

Again, this is only comparing Tmart's freshman & soph stats vs T. Frazier's career stats. Now, Tmart will probably end up playing 10 or more games than Frazier to be sure. But he's almost at Frazier's numbers "now".

However, also to be sure, only the truly deaf, dumb and blind can't see the monster sized different levels of talent between each qb's surrounding Oline, WRs, RBs, blackshirts & coaches.