Martinez QB Camp Update

Almost started an new topic glad i checked in here first, knap beat me to it.

Based on the picture in the article knappy posted he looks alot better. Arm slot is higher, and he not dipping his back shoulder. If he can just square up to his target by moving his feet and then stepping into his throw and to his target better he will be alot better. It will be exciting to see how much he has improved. If he can go up to around 60% completion %, our offense will be hard to stop.

He's still got that crazy thing with his left hand that makes you think he's holding something. I remember seeing that in the one picture from spring practice where we argued for 3 days over whether he was throwing or catching the ball.

And it looks like everyone is laughing at him in the picture as well.

I agree with you although it should be pointed out that if our WRs wouldn't have dropped so many passes last season Taylor's completion percentage probably would have been 60% or exceedingly close to it.

If WRs in general wouldn't drop so many passes, then 60% would not be considered very good.

I agree with you although it should be pointed out that if our WRs wouldn't have dropped so many passes last season Taylor's completion percentage probably would have been 60% or exceedingly close to it.

If WRs in general wouldn't drop so many passes, then 60% would not be considered very good.

it would have only taken another 10 completions for Martinez to be at 60% though. Kinnie had that many himself. He was easily a 60% passer last year. I'd go on to say that if Beck would have let him scramble more, he wouldn't have thrown the ball away 10-13 times and would have been closer to a 64-65% passer. (he also might have had a broken ankle or 3 more fumbles, but that's another argument) :)

Hes holding the world in his hand.

I also see a few smirks, but who knows what they are smiling at. Lets not argue it. Well see how much he has improved in about 6 weeks, then well see whos laughing. Hopefully its Taylor, looks like he has worked hard enough to earn some respect. Zoogies is right i'll change it to low 70% to high 60s. Hes done it in the past, he really just needs to be more consistent, and that will come with his improved mechanics.

16 22 191 72.7 Ohio State

28 37 289 75.7 Northwestern

I also see a few smirks, but who knows what they are smiling at. Lets not argue it. Well see how much he has improved in about 6 weeks, then well see whos laughing. Hopefully its Taylor, looks like he has worked hard enough to earn some respect. Zoogies is right i'll change it to low 70% to high 60s. Hes done it in the past, he really just needs to be more consistent, and that will come with his improved mechanics.

Taylor has clearly earned the respect of many of his doubters simply by the extra work he has put in this offseason, but don't think for a second that even his doubters want anything more than to see him succeed. We will all be laughing and having a jolly ole' fukn' time if Nebraska is winning football games. If Taylor's hard work pays off, he should feel like he has proven his doubters wrong, but to assume that any Husker fan would be disappointed by his success, well that's just plain stupid and I don't see where you would be coming from. If Taylor can't do it, we want to find someone at the QB position who can get it done. All anyone wants is to see Nebraska on top of the football world again. Taylor's hard work could translate to victories for the Big Red. There are just a lot of people that aren't sure he has the tools to take us to the top. We are getting closer everyday to finding out though. Til' then, it's meaningless chatter. Don't assume that just because many doubt his skills that somehow means we wouldn't love to see him kick some ass for Nebraska. I'll still root for Nebraska regardless.

Taylor has clearly earned the respect of many of his doubters simply by the extra work he has put in this offseason, but don't think for a second that even his doubters want anything more than to see him succeed. We will all be laughing and having a jolly ole' fukn' time if Nebraska is winning football games. If Taylor's hard work pays off, he should feel like he has proven his doubters wrong, but to assume that any Husker fan would be disappointed by his success, well that's just plain stupid and I don't see where you would be coming from. If Taylor can't do it, we want to find someone at the QB position who can get it done. All anyone wants is to see Nebraska on top of the football world again. Taylor's hard work could translate to victories for the Big Red. There are just a lot of people that aren't sure he has the tools to take us to the top. We are getting closer everyday to finding out though. Til' then, it's meaningless chatter. Don't assume that just because many doubt his skills that somehow means we wouldn't love to see him kick some ass for Nebraska. I'll still root for Nebraska regardless.

I think your taking my comment the wrong way. Did you see the picture in the article that Knappy posted? Some kids seem to be laughing at him in the background while he throws, thats what i was referring to.....well see whos laughing when he passes for 3k and runs for another 1k kind of thing. Im a big Tmart supporter and believe he will own most the QB records before he leaves.

I'm expecting a lot out of Taylor this fall. We have heard a lot about him since the season ended, and I'm excited to see the improvement that everybody has been talking about.

Not only that, but I think that he really grew as a leader on the offense. He and Rex are the lead-by-example guys. Both expect to win every single game, and I love that mentality from the players. Then as a vocal leader, I see Kenny Bell growing in that role on the offense. My question marks for this team lie mostly on the defensive side of the ball. Every position group needs to take a step up in performance level from what we saw last season.

The Northwestern game is where I expect our offense to migrate towards over the next 2 years - at least from a passing standpoint. Do you remember how many quick little passes Martinez threw in that game? The tempo was up, we were moving the ball. It seems like all we did was throw 5 yard slants that first half. Martinez is money on most of those quick, designed plays. It's when he has to let a play develop that he ends up heaving the ball. Unfortunately last year it seemed like Beck chose the latter instead of the former more times than not. It wasn't until halfway into the season that someone told Martinez he could check down to Rex. I put as much of Martinez's passing issues on Beck as I do on Martinez. At the end of the day Beck can put Martinez in a situation where he can be a good passer, he just chose not to most of last season...or even scarier - maybe hadn't figure out how to. I think he'll get it this year though. 1-2 less drops a game, maybe 4 more attempts. A slightly improved Beck/Martinez/WRs means 6 more completions per game. That means he'll be sitting at something like 20-28 for 245-260 yards. I'd take that any day of the week. He doesn't have far to go. It's not like he's a 56% passer throwing 45 times a game.

Nobody said it, because nobody knows how he's actually doing this offseason.

Of course, that whole article is tongue-in-cheek. Check out the very next blurb:

Vanderbilt at Northwestern: Vanderbilt is no longer the 98 pound weakling of the SEC. No, that's still Ohio State. BWAHAHAHAHA, see what I did there? Seriously, the Commodores have a decent football team, and Northwestern won this one on the road in a close one back in 2010. Zac Stacy and Jordan Rodgers (yes, Aaron's younger brother) are two quality offensive players that a porous Wildcat defense could struggle to stop. I will love watching the contrasting styles of Kain Colter and Jordan Rodgers.

In other news, Martinez was one of five Big Ten QBs and 34 QBs nationwide to be named to the Davey O'Brien Watch List.