Martinez QB Camp Update

Who cares about stats. There's an x factor that cannot be measured. Taylor is no where near and never will be half of the Quarterback that Tommie Frazier was.

Personally I can't wait until he graduates.

You're judging Freshman and Sophomore Martinez with Junior and Senior Frazier.

How quickly people forget. Tommie himself will tell you that he lost the bowl game his Freshman year. He tried too hard, got out of control, and generally mucked things up. He had to mature and grow into the champion he ended up as.

Let's give Martinez the same chance to grow. It seems only fair. If, after he's done, he never won anything, never had a fantastic game, never excelled, then let's throw him under the bus. Until then, give the guy a break.

• Fire 2

Who cares about stats. There's an x factor that cannot be measured. Taylor is no where near and never will be half of the Quarterback that Tommie Frazier was.

How quickly people forget. Tommie himself will tell you that he lost the bowl game his Freshman year. He tried too hard, got out of control, and generally mucked things up. He had to mature and grow into the champion he ended up as.

Let's give Martinez the same chance to grow. It seems only fair. If, after he's done, he never won anything, never had a fantastic game, never excelled, then let's throw him under the bus. Until then, give the guy a break.

Exactly.........

'throwing someone under the bus' connotes unfairly sacrificing that person. it would be a little late for that. i will give martinez the benefit of the doubt, because i am an eternal optimist. but i think our only chance at a great season is if everyone around him (including the defense) plays to the limit of (and beyond) their potential and together as a great team, while t-mart plays within himself.

I'm rootin' for the Huskers and whoever these coaches decide to put out there. No matter what my opinion on who should be there, I will still be cheering louder than most of the rest of you. Not because I am a bigger fan, but because I can fuk'n yell like a boss. Taylor will be the starting QB for Nebraska this year barring some strange turn of events. So in my book, that means GO BIG RED and go TAYLOR. The rest of this argument has been beaten like a dead rotted carcass of a horse and nothing new or interesting has been added to the same old story. We all need football season to get here soon because this talk will be proven true or false by the results on the field.

So I looked at Taylor's Records and I had a really nice post to put together and everything and then everyone beat me to it...

But anyways some pretty interesting things to consider even if Martinez is a 4 year starter

1) At present Taylor has 1,839 yards rushing. That is just behind Tommie at 28th all time with 2,231. If Taylor were to average a mere 1000 yards over the next two season he would be borderline top 10 all time on the rushing list.

2) If Taylor merely stayed the same over the next two years passing he would be 8th all time on the passing list his after his senior year.

3) These don't mean as much, but given that Zac Taylor is often the bench mark for passing... Martinez has a better completion percentage than Zac Taylor (59.2% vs 57.2%) and a better QB rating than Zac (138.78 vs 130.3).

And here are some of the more interesting records I saw:

Rushing by position (QB):

1. Net Yards, Game: 241; Taylor Martinez, at Kansas St., Oct. 7, 2010 (15 att.)*

*9th in overall rushing for a game

1. Touchdowns, Game: 4; Taylor Martinez, at Kansas St., Oct. 7, 2010;

Eric Crouch 2001; Eric Crouch 2000; Scott Frost1997; Mickey Joseph 1990; Gerry Gdowski 1989

Rushing in a season freshmen class;

1. Ahman Green, IB (1995)* 1,086 yds 141 att

2. Taylor Martinez, QB (2010)** 965 yds 162 att

*true freshman

**5th best all time among QBs of any class for a season

• Fire 1

I get hammered for not being the largest fan of Bo, my own reasons, but have come around somewhat.

But most who continue to slam on Taylor seem to feel Bo has us on the right track, is going to be a great coach, for the love of God how can he be so good and still put Taylor on the field. Not my thoughts, just wondering how you justify saying he is a great coach, but according to some Taylor is just a step above a blocking dummy in passing ability, that Bo the all seeing all accomplishing beginner head coach puts him on the field.

Just wondering.

My thoughts are, the kid is pretty darned good, and Bo sees it. Time for the rest of us to. So if you are knocking on Taylor, you are slamming on your head coach to.

Well, Taylor isn't that good of a passer. It's the truth. We build our offense around Taylor and we aren't loading up a passing attack back there.

We just need him to get a grasp of reading defenses pre-snap, settle down in the pocket, and have better placement in his throws. Then do his damage on the ground, let Rex & co do their damage on the ground, and be able to hit the change-up playaction deep enough times to do real damage.

None of this makes Taylor individually one of the most superlative players we've ever had at the position. Although if he turns in more 2010-esque running campaigns, he may well vault himself into the ranks of one of the better running QBs we have had.

By the way I'm not down on Bo, but I'm not exactly sold either. Like Taylor, the next season or two will be proving grounds for him. If we slip up and get only 8 wins this season, it will set off some alarm bells. It would not be hard for either to buy themselves a lot of rope this year though.

I get hammered for not being the largest fan of Bo, my own reasons, but have come around somewhat.

But most who continue to slam on Taylor seem to feel Bo has us on the right track, is going to be a great coach, for the love of God how can he be so good and still put Taylor on the field. Not my thoughts, just wondering how you justify saying he is a great coach, but according to some Taylor is just a step above a blocking dummy in passing ability, that Bo the all seeing all accomplishing beginner head coach puts him on the field.

Just wondering.

My thoughts are, the kid is pretty darned good, and Bo sees it. Time for the rest of us to. So if you are knocking on Taylor, you are slamming on your head coach to.

well, consider this......injuried or not, he was all Bo was willing to put on the field and when he couldn't go, Rex did.......that's a longgggg ways from genius in the stockpiling and recruiting of decent qbs!.........

Just wondering.

well, consider this......injuried or not, he was all Bo was willing to put on the field and when he couldn't go, Rex did.......that's a longgggg ways from genius in the stockpiling and recruiting of decent qbs!.........

Well, I doubt you can find even one single poster who denies Bo's initial recruiting was marginal. Throw in some bad luck with qb position and there we are.

But the trend for the last three years with recruiting "and" landing qood qb recruits has certainly improved a lot. Armstrong & Stanton are two damn fine qb recruits. Surely you've noticed our LB recruits recently? Lots & lots of highly talented young linemen everywhere?

Have a little patience, grasshopper. I think Bo is adjusting just fine. TO himself didn't exactly storm the world his first four years either, right? Even Devaney got worked over hard his 5th & 6th seasons. Hang tough and enjoy the ride.

Just wondering.

Well, I doubt you can find even one single poster who denies Bo's initial recruiting was marginal. Throw in some bad luck with qb position and there we are.

But the trend for the last three years with recruiting "and" landing qood qb recruits has certainly improved a lot. Armstrong & Stanton are two damn fine qb recruits. Surely you've noticed our LB recruits recently? Lots & lots of highly talented young linemen everywhere?

Have a little patience, grasshopper. I think Bo is adjusting just fine. TO himself didn't exactly storm the world his first four years either, right? Even Devaney got worked over hard his 5th & 6th seasons. Hang tough and enjoy the ride.

i see your point, it just still frustrates me that TM played hurt for so many games.

Just wondering.

i see your point, it just still frustrates me that TM played hurt for so many games.

Yeah, I see yours as well. Especially 2010 when he literally could barely walk. I know Z. Lee was totally banged up and C. Green...well, maybe wasn't great but at least he could stand up straight and walk without huge pain. I surely agree that was strange.

Yeah, I see yours as well. Especially 2010 when he literally could barely walk. I know Z. Lee was totally banged up and C. Green...well, maybe wasn't great but at least he could stand up straight and walk without huge pain. I surely agree that was strange.

Don't forget that at one point he was dinged up as well, and may have finished the Iowa State game with a concussion.

Don't forget that at one point he was dinged up as well, and may have finished the Iowa State game with a concussion.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Yepper, it could very well have been Bo's choice's were zilch.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Yepper, it could very well have been Bo's choice's were zilch.

all good points, thanks guys.