Martinez QB Camp Update

Umm, it's his mechanics that keep him from getting the ball to his receivers. It's his mechanics that keep him from throwing catchable balls.

I agree that his mechanics keep him from getting the ball to receivers, but the receivers aren't blame-free here, either. It's Martinez' responsibility to put a football where a receiver can catch it. If the receiver doesn't catch it, it's entirely the wide receiver's fault.

Agree 100%

Also that Husker Locker article tries to make the argument that Nebraska's QB depth is hurting our recruiting. Please! We have three scholarship QBs on the roster. That's a low number any way you slice it. There is no way that any struggles in recruiting QB are due to our current depth chart.

Also, OC/QB dual coaching is probably the most common situation there is. The article tries to paint it as unusual. Well, maybe Beck isn't qualified to be a QBs coach. I don't know if he's ever done it before or if that's his area of expertise. But the position of OC/QB is hardly unusual.

Taylor having to spend time outside of official practice time to shore up his passing mechanics is absolutely a knock on Taylor, and not our coaches. But it's not his fault. He just hasn't played a whole lot of QB. He's an athlete who as far as quarterbacking goes, has been many years behind the average division 1 QB. So, he has to put in time to make up that ground. There is no real blame to go to anyone for this. Good for Taylor.

I will agree that Taylor has a perceived lock on the starting job. But he's a junior now, and this recruiting cycle is for guys who will have their freshman year while Taylor is a senior. It should be of little to no consequence.

The only good point I think that article makes is about non-starter reps at QB. And I do mean how many quality reps they get in practice.

I had not thought of the ones on scholie and than also his Ohis St. comment was week, they have a guy who may be on the field for three more years but the guys still come. I would like to see the back up QB get reps but I think most programs that are great still manage to get QB's to sign.

Also that Husker Locker article tries to make the argument that Nebraska's QB depth is hurting our recruiting. Please! We have three scholarship QBs on the roster. That's a low number any way you slice it. There is no way that any struggles in recruiting QB are due to our current depth chart.

Also, OC/QB dual coaching is probably the most common situation there is. The article tries to paint it as unusual. Well, maybe Beck isn't qualified to be a QBs coach. I don't know if he's ever done it before or if that's his area of expertise. But the position of OC/QB is hardly unusual.

Taylor having to spend time outside of official practice time to shore up his passing mechanics is absolutely a knock on Taylor, and not our coaches. But it's not his fault. He just hasn't played a whole lot of QB. He's an athlete who as far as quarterbacking goes, has been many years behind the average division 1 QB. So, he has to put in time to make up that ground. There is no real blame to go to anyone for this. Good for Taylor.

I will agree that Taylor has a perceived lock on the starting job. But he's a junior now, and this recruiting cycle is for guys who will have their freshman year while Taylor is a senior. It should be of little to no consequence.

The only good point I think that article makes is about non-starter reps at QB. And I do mean how many quality reps they get in practice.

Great post, zoogies. Nailed it.

Now as far as I've heard from this coaching staff and Bo Pelini, the QB position and every other position on this team is an open competition, so your telling me that the other 4 QB's on the roster have no shot in hell. Only the 3 scholarship QB's as you say, have any chance of ever playing? You must really be an insider to override coach Bo like that? Also, should we expect these recruits to then commit, thinking that they are only actually going to be battling the scholarship QB's for the position? If so, wtf is the point of wasting these roster spots on these non scholly QB's? I completely disagree with your comment.

The way you try to write off the non scholly guys like they aren't even there to compete for the job is pathetic in my opinion. This program happens to be built on non- scholly players, and we've had some pretty damn good ones come through this Program. It's called a "walk on", and it's something that all Husker fans should be proud of. They are on the team for a reason, don't ever discount the hard work and dedication it took for them to get there. Atleast, if you do talk like they aren't even part of the team, expect to hear from me about it because I take absolute offense to it.

Umm, it's his mechanics that keep him from getting the ball to his receivers. It's his mechanics that keep him from throwing catchable balls.

Umm, I guess Zac Lee's mechanics were the same as they dropped boatloads of his passes too.

Umm, no. What I said was "getting the ball to his receivers", meaning in front of them. Somewhere in the vacinity of out streched hands. I also said "throwing catchable balls", meaning the tip of the ball is down and going 100 mph, on a 5 yard cross, or sideline pattern. He doesn't have that touch, yet. Hopefully this camp teaches him some of that.

BTW, Zac Lee's mechanics weren't all that either. Now Joe Ganz?

Well, Ganz was a gutsy kid but except for a couple games really only played as a senior and he sure knew how to throw interceptions. Great mechanics I guess. Also, imo Swift & Peterson were both wayyyyyyy better WRs than what Tmart or Lee had.

Our WRs have dropped endless passes from Lee/Tmart that hit them right in their hands. Maybe you're right and the ball wasn't at the right angle, spin or velocity. I still think they should catch it. No biggie as we'll just agree to disagree. That's what makes forums fun!

GBR!

• Fire 1

Now as far as I've heard from this coaching staff and Bo Pelini, the QB position and every other position on this team is an open competition, so your telling me that the other 4 QB's on the roster have no shot in hell. Only the 3 scholarship QB's as you say, have any chance of ever playing? You must really be an insider to override coach Bo like that? Also, should we expect these recruits to then commit, thinking that they are only actually going to be battling the scholarship QB's for the position? If so, wtf is the point of wasting these roster spots on these non scholly QB's? I completely disagree with your comment.

Whoa......easy my friend. Have a beer.

No way zoogies would intentionally rip our walk-ons. He was just talking about the odds of playing.....not 100% written in stone. Maybe some walk-on breaks through? Sure, it could happen and zoogies knows & agrees with that.

Relax compadre'......everything is good.

GBR!!

I doubt zoogie of all people is discounting the walk on program. I think he was simply acknowledging that QB is the highest profile position on the field so naturally it is one of the most intensely recruited positions, therefore the chances a walk on is going to see significant starting time are pretty slim. Out of curiosity who was the last walk on quarterback at Nebraska to consistently start?

The way you try to write off the non scholly guys like they aren't even there to compete for the job is pathetic in my opinion. This program happens to be built on non- scholly players, and we've had some pretty damn good ones come through this Program. It's called a "walk on", and it's something that all Husker fans should be proud of. They are on the team for a reason, don't ever discount the hard work and dedication it took for them to get there. Atleast, if you do talk like they aren't even part of the team, expect to hear from me about it because I take absolute offense to it.

i see what your saying, and yes i believe that alot of the time walk-ons are the heart of a team because they usually give more every play, every rep, then alot of scholarship players do. however our walk-on program isnt what it used to be, players used to skip out a good offers from good schools just for a shot to play for the huskers, just to be able to say that they were a husker. idk if thats really the case anymore, the program as a whole isnt what it was in the 80's and 90's when we had the best walk-on program in the country. the program is however on its way back into the national spotlight i believe.

so why i see why you get offended to when somebody rights off a walk-on, realize that there is probably a reason why they have done so, our walk-ons are usually less talented and are walk-ons for a reason.

but thats what makes college football so great, there is always a chance for the underdog

Yea, I might have been a bit over reactive. I have a lot of respect for the walk on tradition here at Nebraska. It's something I'm very passionate about and I have watched a lot of greatness come from what most people said would never be. I just urge everyone, hopefully Bo and his team, and fans included, to never take for granted what it means to be a Husker. I know it may have lost some of it's "luster" over the years, but I hope there's still a good number of people out there that aspire to put on those pads and strap on that helmet. None of those guys should be over looked, and matter of factly, I think Broekemeier is a pretty bad ass QB.

yeah, there's always the chance of a nice cinderella story with one of the walk-on QBs. I think Sam McKewon was saying good things about Ryker Fyfe? But walk-ons don't really figure much into the numbers game. As others have said, when's the last time we've had a walk-on QB earn playing time, outside of maybe a bad injury situation (Monte Christo, was that 1998?) When does any scholarship recruit look at a position and think "Wow, they have a lot of walk-ons there," and get scared off by that? If we counted all our walk-ons at every position, by that logic, no recruit would want to play for us. We have so many guys everywhere.

I think unless you have a guy who has really pushed his way into the competition at that position (a few of our recent OL), they are sort of outside of the numbers situation in recruiting.

Umm, I guess Zac Lee's mechanics were the same as they dropped boatloads of his passes too.

Umm, no. What I said was "getting the ball to his receivers", meaning in front of them. Somewhere in the vacinity of out streched hands. I also said "throwing catchable balls", meaning the tip of the ball is down and going 100 mph, on a 5 yard cross, or sideline pattern. He doesn't have that touch, yet. Hopefully this camp teaches him some of that.

Well, Ganz was a gutsy kid but except for a couple games really only played as a senior and he sure knew how to throw interceptions. Great mechanics I guess. Also, imo Swift & Peterson were both wayyyyyyy better WRs than what Tmart or Lee had.

Our WRs have dropped endless passes from Lee/Tmart that hit them right in their hands. Maybe you're right and the ball wasn't at the right angle, spin or velocity. I still think they should catch it. No biggie as we'll just agree to disagree. That's what makes forums fun!

GBR!

Nope, I agree with everything you just said. :)

GBR!

Nope, I agree with everything you just said. :)

:cheers

http://www.huskerloc...ecruiting-23863

Interesting bit from this website about how Taylor had to seek out a QB coach to help him with his mechanics. I never really thought about it that way, but now that I do, it's absolutely a sad situation as far as Nebraska's ability to coach and develop QB's. A player should not have to go back to California to work on his technique. Beck should not be both QB coach/ and Offensive Coordinator. This University needs a QB coach, and matter of factly, it needs one that will let the world know that NU is a place where QB's come to take the next step. Nebraska doesn't send QB's to the NFL. Based on the old style of play, it was never going to happen, but if we want to win in the college football world of today, we need someone who is full time committed to the most important position in all of football......THE QUARTERBACK! I think this is truly hurting the University more than we know.

All around great article, I absolutely agree with every point the guy makes.

Right now we have Beck as OC/QB and Ganz as an intern (maybe GA?) coach. If we bring in a full-time QB coach, who do we get rid of? Do we go back to only 1 OL coach? Combine WR/TE and get rid of Brown or Fish? There aren't any perfect answers here.

I doubt zoogie of all people is discounting the walk on program. I think he was simply acknowledging that QB is the highest profile position on the field so naturally it is one of the most intensely recruited positions, therefore the chances a walk on is going to see significant starting time are pretty slim. Out of curiosity who was the last walk on quarterback at Nebraska to consistently start?

Ganz?