Did we get an 11th commit?

What Chris is saying is that we aren't stacking up with the four and five star talent that MOST of the top programs are getting consistently. Does that mean our coaches can't recruit? No. Does it mean we can't compete? No. He's talking about odds. The programs that bring in better talent have a better chance of being good. He, and I, would like to see more four/five star guys. I think damn near everyone on the board would too.

Dylan just gave a list of guys that are 4 stars. Looks to me that we are stacking up with 4 stars. I could go back and add up the 4 stars from the last 4 years. It would certainly be a stack. 5 stars not so much. Other teams only get alot of 4 and 5 stars becasue they live in a talent rich area. Gerry isnt a 4 star because they dont scout SD like they do the south. I just dont see a reason to question the coaches, especially Bos, abilitly to judge talent, hes never given us a reason too. In just a few short years he has DBs playing in the NFL. MY point.... if Bo thinks they can play, they can play. At this point in the year, they arent taking guys just to take them.

Lacouture offered by Alabama, LSU, Michigan among many others only a 3 star.....give me a break.

Not that early commits aren't a good thing...but these aren't LOI...and it is just more time for decommits. I hope not...and I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer..but last I checked NU goes down that road way too often. Too bad there wasn't an early signing period like basketball. Otherwise...it's really just a young kid with a license to change his mind at any given time when someone flashes a shinier bit of heaven their way.

Don't worry about decommits. They happen. The more commits you have, the more you are able to absorb it.

Actually, I think the quality of this class so far looks to be pretty good. Stars are only one measure, of course -- we have secured a bunch of guys who are going to be highly sought after, possibly move up in the rankings, and not guys who we just take late in the game because we have little other choice. So it's really, really promising so far. Staff's doing tremendous work.

Not that early commits aren't a good thing...but these aren't LOI...and it is just more time for decommits. I hope not...and I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer..but last I checked NU goes down that road way too often. Too bad there wasn't an early signing period like basketball. Otherwise...it's really just a young kid with a license to change his mind at any given time when someone flashes a shinier bit of heaven their way.

Don't worry about decommits. They happen. The more commits you have, the more you are able to absorb it.

Actually, I think the quality of this class so far looks to be pretty good. Stars are only one measure, of course -- we have secured a bunch of guys who are going to be highly sought after, possibly move up in the rankings, and not guys who we just take late in the game because we have little other choice. So it's really, really promising so far. Staff's doing tremendous work.

This is the best start in terms of quality and quantity that a Bo Pelini class has ever had. Absolutely zero comparison between this class and 2008 and to even mention them in the same breath is moronic.

This is the best start in terms of quality and quantity that a Bo Pelini class has ever had. Absolutely zero comparison between this class and 2008 and to even mention them in the same breath is moronic.

I love the start the staff has made to this point, but I think I would say that 2011 started a bit better IMO. This one is shaping up to be a lot like that but better because the number count will be higher increasing your odds of getting production from it. I also think that this one seems to have the potential to have a much better late summer/early season results based on the efforts they have put in this Spring and early Summer. Overall I love what Ross Els has brought to this aspect of the staff's job.

Agreed, but I think that some people may have to eating their words about the 2008 class this Season. I think the team will do well and that class will make up the core group of contributors.

I love the start the staff has made to this point, but I think I would say that 2011 started a bit better IMO. This one is shaping up to be a lot like that but better because the number count will be higher increasing your odds of getting production from it. I also think that this one seems to have the potential to have a much better late summer/early season results based on the efforts they have put in this Spring and early Summer. Overall I love what Ross Els has brought to this aspect of the staff's job.

That may be fair to say, but there are some f'ing ball players in this class. Laucore, Love, and Natter have no business being ranked that low. I can see Gladney getting a bump as well, not to four star status though. But there are some football players in this class this far.

There is literally no pleasing a small portion of our fan base.

And there are some fans that pump sunshine about each recruiting class - regardless of the content soley because 17 kids choose to put on red. Just because they picked the Huskers and you search every recruiting service cherry picking the ones that give our players the highest ranking, finding a 4th star for each guy - doesn't mean they are all 4* guys. Call me a star-gazer or whatever, but to say stars don't correlate to wins is BS. Give me 2 teams with highly ranked classes that can't win, and I'll give you 2 crappy coaches, then name 15 teams with highly ranked classes that do win, and 50 teams with lower ranked classes than can't get above 9 wins.

Plenty of us are skeptical about Husker recruiting. I thought we had it turned around after 2011 - but last year and this year have been nothing more than average (kind of like our teams). You've loved 95% of our recruits, and every one of our classes since you started posting here 3-4 years ago. It's what you do. "trust the coaches". It's what a larger portion of our fan base do. But we need impact players - not guys with marginal potential. Every championship calibre team has a couple of truly impact players. We haven't had that since 09', and that was Callahan's guy. And what's worse is we haven't really recruited a guy in the last 4 years with the outlook of being an all-everything impact type of guy.

Maybe Westerkamp, but he's a receiver at Nebraska so his impact is automatically limited. Turner, but same story. Green, but I don't see him on the roster and he didn't really pan out. Tyler Moore could be the guy, I'll give him the best chance. Out of 5 classes, we have 2-3 potential impact guys (I'm talking HS here, not disregarding David), and likely only 1 will pan out. That's not going to win much more than 9-10 games.

But kc, the legitimate doom-and-gloom concerns that might have been raised about some of our past recruiting practices (think the summer before Gilmore's last season) are from a different era for this staff in terms of recruiting. Even while things are different now and many, many of the changes we had all hoped for have indeed occurred, that new reality hasn't overtaken the bad taste left in people's mouths. In short, a lot of fans still attribute the recruiting problems we used to have even when it doesn't appear to be the same situation.

EZ does tend to be really optimistic. But I think it's pretty hard to disagree about the current state of the class.

Also, Bo has had at least one impact player of his own in Lavonte. Oh and Dennard was his too. How could I forget?

And there are some fans that pump sunshine about each recruiting class - regardless of the content soley because 17 kids choose to put on red. Just because they picked the Huskers and you search every recruiting service cherry picking the ones that give our players the highest ranking, finding a 4th star for each guy - doesn't mean they are all 4* guys. Call me a star-gazer or whatever, but to say stars don't correlate to wins is BS. Give me 2 teams with highly ranked classes that can't win, and I'll give you 2 crappy coaches, then name 15 teams with highly ranked classes that do win, and 50 teams with lower ranked classes than can't get above 9 wins.

Plenty of us are skeptical about Husker recruiting. I thought we had it turned around after 2011 - but last year and this year have been nothing more than average (kind of like our teams). You've loved 95% of our recruits, and every one of our classes since you started posting here 3-4 years ago. It's what you do. "trust the coaches". It's what a larger portion of our fan base do. But we need impact players - not guys with potential. Every championship calibre team has a couple of truly impact players. We haven't had that since 09', and that was Callahan's guy. And what's worse is we haven't really recruited a guy in the last 4 years with the outlook of being an all-everything impact type of guy.

We should just cancel the football program and save us all the headache.

If you're setting your level for an impact player at suh, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. If you have more reasonable expectations for recruiting difference makers, I'd say the following are all american level players recruited by this staff: dennard, gomes, lavonte and burkhead. Obviously it's too early to tell on the last two classes, but that's not a bad start considering most of their first class is only starting their senior year.

Everyone knows recruiting is key. That includes our coaches. The point though is to get the players you target as being most likely to help you win games. So far this class seems to be filling up with those players nicely. Anyone expecting our class to fill up with 5 stars needs to stick to video games or switch favorite teams.

Plenty of us are skeptical about Husker recruiting. I thought we had it turned around after 2011 - but last year and this year have been nothing more than average (kind of like our teams). You've loved 95% of our recruits, and every one of our classes since you started posting here 3-4 years ago. It's what you do. "trust the coaches". It's what a larger portion of our fan base do. But we need impact players - not guys with marginal potential. Every championship calibre team has a couple of truly impact players. We haven't had that since 09', and that was Callahan's guy. And what's worse is we haven't really recruited a guy in the last 4 years with the outlook of being an all-everything impact type of guy.

Maybe Westerkamp, but he's a receiver at Nebraska so his impact is automatically limited. Turner, but same story. Green, but I don't see him on the roster and he didn't really pan out. Tyler Moore could be the guy, I'll give him the best chance. Out of 5 classes, we have 2-3 potential impact guys (I'm talking HS here, not disregarding David), and likely only 1 will pan out. That's not going to win much more than 9-10 games.

Whatever you say, Chris.

No doubt you're totally correct. Those high stars are why KSU has beat Texas the last four times in a row, right? That's why Notre Dame dominates CFB. No doubt about it. Boise St is a recruiting machine but Florida the last couple of years just can't recruit anybody.

Makes sense to me.

Whatever you say, Chris.

No doubt you're totally correct. Those high stars are why KSU has beat Texas the last four times in a row, right? That's why Notre Dame dominates CFB. No doubt about it. Boise St is a recruiting machine but Florida the last couple of years just can't recruit anybody.

Makes sense to me.

Yup, and those lowly ranked classes at Alabama is why they can't win a MNC. And since LSU can't recruit they can't win either. Texas has just been pathetic the last decade haven't they? I mean Nebraska just steamrolled those classes didn't we? And you mention Florida, just a few years removed from back-to-back MNCs with their crappy classes. I bet it's all the crappy recruiting at Michigan that kept Hoke from turning that program around too. And those teams at USC really suck with their lowly ranked classes as well. And Auburns inability to recruit has totally kept them out of the MNC hunt the last 5 years. Oklahoma can't recruit either so they can't win. Lets not forget Stanford, or Ohio State, or Oregon either, all crappy recruiters that just can't win. And definately don't forget South Carolina's crappy class in 2009, that included that crappy receiver Alshon Jeffery (4* rivals 100). We sure showed them and made him look like butterfingers. Him and Clowney (5*) and Ingram (4*). I bet if Lattimore (5*) had been in there we would have won though, because he wasn't really much of an impact player anyway...

Alabama, Michigan and USC are actually all prime examples that coaching is just as important as talent. And somehow despite their recruiting talent, I think we were every bit as "talented" as south carolina in the bowl game. we lost that game due to mistakes and bad luck, so I'd put that one more on coaching than recruiting.