Did we get an 11th commit?

There is literally no pleasing a small portion of our fan base.

And there are some fans that pump sunshine about each recruiting class - regardless of the content soley because 17 kids choose to put on red. Just because they picked the Huskers and you search every recruiting service cherry picking the ones that give our players the highest ranking, finding a 4th star for each guy - doesn't mean they are all 4* guys. Call me a star-gazer or whatever, but to say stars don't correlate to wins is BS. Give me 2 teams with highly ranked classes that can't win, and I'll give you 2 crappy coaches, then name 15 teams with highly ranked classes that do win, and 50 teams with lower ranked classes than can't get above 9 wins.

Plenty of us are skeptical about Husker recruiting. I thought we had it turned around after 2011 - but last year and this year have been nothing more than average (kind of like our teams). You've loved 95% of our recruits, and every one of our classes since you started posting here 3-4 years ago. It's what you do. "trust the coaches". It's what a larger portion of our fan base do. But we need impact players - not guys with potential. Every championship calibre team has a couple of truly impact players. We haven't had that since 09', and that was Callahan's guy. And what's worse is we haven't really recruited a guy in the last 4 years with the outlook of being an all-everything impact type of guy.

We should just cancel the football program and save us all the headache.

seem to remember some guy named rex burkhead

Alabama, Michigan and USC are actually all prime examples that coaching is just as important as talent. And somehow despite their recruiting talent, I think we were every bit as "talented" as south carolina in the bowl game. we lost that game due to mistakes and bad luck, so I'd put that one more on coaching than recruiting.

I certainly agree that coaching is just as important. But I don't think Saban could come into Nebraska, with our roster and win a B1G championship right now. Maybe, but there is a massive gap in talent between us and the top 10 teams right now. And some of these guys we are getting just aren't going to bridge that gap. It doesn't take many, and you don't need one every year. Look at South Carolina. They have had some mediocre classes the last 5 years, but they had a few very exceptional classes, and some players that are at an entirely different level than anyone we have on the roster. Clowney/Lattimore are dominant. Just like Suh made that 2009 defense, 1 of these types of players can add a couple wins a year. 1 of these guys is worth 10 3* guys to me. You know you'd trade 10 3* guys (and a couple 4* guys) for another Suh. That's why I'm going to continue to be dissapointed with our recruiting. I think we recruit well enough to get our 9 wins. But we need a couple of guys that can change a game in our favor. They aren't on the roster right now. No offense to Rex, but he doesn't impact a game like Suh did, or Lattimore does.

Alabama, Michigan and USC are actually all prime examples that coaching is just as important as talent. And somehow despite their recruiting talent, I think we were every bit as "talented" as south carolina in the bowl game. we lost that game due to mistakes and bad luck, so I'd put that one more on coaching than recruiting.

I certainly agree that coaching is just as important. But I don't think Saban could come into Nebraska, with our roster and win a B1G championship right now. Maybe, but there is a massive gap in talent between us and the top 10 teams right now. And some of these guys we are getting just aren't going to bridge that gap. It doesn't take many, and you don't need one every year. Look at South Carolina. They have had some mediocre classes the last 5 years, but they had a few very exceptional classes, and some players that are at an entirely different level than anyone we have on the roster. Clowney/Lattimore are dominant. Just like Suh made that 2009 defense, 1 of these types of players can add a couple wins a year. 1 of these guys is worth 10 3* guys to me. You know you'd trade 10 3* guys (and a couple 4* guys) for another Suh. That's why I'm going to continue to be dissapointed with our recruiting. I think we recruit well enough to get our 9 wins. But we need a couple of guys that can change a game in our favor. They aren't on the roster right now. No offense to Rex, but he doesn't impact a game like Suh did, or Lattimore does.

So what's your lame excuse going to be if NU wins their division this year? Or even worse (for you), if NU wins the Big10?

Hey, believe it or not I'm not trying to pick on you old friend. I'm just giving you a friendly warning that NU just very well "might" be better than than you and other star-gazers might expect. Especially the offense. Or in other words, maybe "being open to other possibilities" wouldn't be a bad thing for you compadre'. Just for what it's worth....

GBR!!

So what's your lame excuse going to be if NU wins their division this year? Or even worse (for you), if NU wins the Big10?

Hey, believe it or not I'm not trying to pick on you old friend. I'm just giving you a friendly warning that NU just very well "might" be better than than you and other star-gazers might expect. Especially the offense. Or in other words, maybe "being open to other possibilities" wouldn't be a bad thing for you compadre'. Just for what it's worth....

GBR!!

No worries bshirt! I'm still a Husker fan, I'd love to see them with the division/B1G. They could probably win the division, but I think it depends more on how things are at Michigan than how things are at Nebraska. If Robinson goes down, or their defense takes a step or two back then we have a great opportunity to win it. I don't see anything at this point that makes me think we'll be much better than we were though. (offensively yes, defensively still up in the air - it kind of evens out for me) So some things will have to go our way, it's kind of out of our control. However, since Ohio State won't be playing in the championship I think if we make the game we'll be the favorite over Wisconsin (or whoever) represents the Legends.

I don't know how I'd feel if we went up to Ohio State, got beat by 30...they go 11-1 and we end up winning the B1G though because they aren't eligible to play in it. It's not our players fault, but I'd still think the championship kind of tainted. What do you think if that's how it plays out? You always want to win your championships by beating the best, and here we got beat by them earlier in the season and are the champions?

Well frankly only a handful of players EVER impacted to game like Suh so your comparison isn't really fair. Suh was a 4 Star recruit, hard to tell then just how good he would be. Good to really good was probable, but an all time great status I don't think anyone knew for certain. Frankly you are selling Rex a bit short IMHO, he was a first team all conference player. I don't see how he wouldn't be considered an elite difference maker. Heck if only everyone on the team was "just" a 1st team all conference pick........

I think you also need to look at measurements of an entire group, Ave stars is a good way, not sure if know this but NU is recruiting at a BCS Bowl caliber level according to this measure. How many of the recruits were heavily sought after is another. Rose was recruited by everyone and went to the AA game, pretty tough recruiting get and I would argue a legit potential difference maker in the future. However he was "just" a 3 Star recruit.

GBR!!

No worries bshirt! I'm still a Husker fan, I'd love to see them with the division/B1G. They could probably win the division, but I think it depends more on how things are at Michigan than how things are at Nebraska. If Robinson goes down, or their defense takes a step or two back then we have a great opportunity to win it. I don't see anything at this point that makes me think we'll be much better than we were though. (offensively yes, defensively still up in the air - it kind of evens out for me) So some things will have to go our way, it's kind of out of our control. However, since Ohio State won't be playing in the championship I think if we make the game we'll be the favorite over Wisconsin (or whoever) represents the Legends.

I don't know how I'd feel if we went up to Ohio State, got beat by 30...they go 11-1 and we end up winning the B1G though because they aren't eligible to play in it. It's not our players fault, but I'd still think the championship kind of tainted. What do you think if that's how it plays out? You always want to win your championships by beating the best, and here we got beat by them earlier in the season and are the champions?

Yes, that would blow chunks for sure as it could leave a sour, cheap taste in our mouth. I'm sure you disagree but I really don't see them as being Supermen this year. "Dangerous" to be sure but unbeatable? I don't think so. SRex & Tmart tore them apart last year (2nd half) and they're returning too. It sure sounds like Tmart is now closer to his insane 2010 gap speed too (Haha....I "know" you'll laugh at that but just wait and see first, ok?). Bell, Turner, Cotton, Reed, etc...oh boy.....with a healthier and more talented Oline? I like our chances. Barring huge mistakes everywhere I don't see them blowing us out. Who knows though?

Year two in the Big10 and year two with Beck. I think that's better than year one all other things considered equal. But this year it's at the Shoe and I agree that's a big difference too (just please don't forget the Wolverines are at Lincoln, ok?). Once yet again, we have by far the most difficult schedule in the Big10. I would trade Michigan's Purdue/Illinois for Wisconsin/PSU in a split nano-second.

Still, Michigan at Lincoln is a great tie-breaker that doesn't hurt if we win (I think we will). You're going to have huge fun, Chris. Get a case (or two or three) of your favorite adult beverage ready (and dancing hotties never hurts either).

GBR!!

• Fire 2

haha, love that koolaid bshirt. +1

i don't really disagree w/ anything you said. i do like our offensive potential. the OLine...i'm hopeful there but I'm not going to base any of my justification for the offensive improvement on the offensive line. they've just been too crappy for too long to make me think after losing 3 stars we'll be much better there. i'm with you on t-mart though...he showed some bursts late last season. i think he'll be back to speed. he wasn't thinking much his freshman year. he was thinking a lot last year, playing less instinctively. he should be past that stage now. can't wait to see it.

GBR!!

I cant believe you could find something wrong with us going 11-1 and winning the Big 10? There really is no satisfying you. So if we win our division in 2013 and 2014 it will be because our schedule is easy and we didnt beat the best? If Ohio State went undefeated i "might" feel that way, but i would still say, you never know what would have happened in the CCG...ie Texas 09 CCG, i didnt think we had a shot in hell and we almost pulled it off. Tough luck you shouldnt have cheated, not our problem. With our schedule if we went 11-1 i would be more then happy.

We ONLY won the NC in 1997 because of Matt Davidsons kick, so we should have lost so i dont consider that a real win, therefore no NC in my eyes. :sarcasm

You can find something like this in almost every national champions run, sometimes you need a little luck.

KC, I am going to try to sum up all of your posts into one of mine. If you would like, you can take the time to look up hard copies of my posts that state the material I will present you.

First, If you recall correctly, I did in fact begin to post when the class of '10 was shaping up. The football players that I was the most excited about in that particular class were Kenny Bell, Lavonte David, Chase Rome, Braylon Heard, and of course............ Owa......... I was really impressed with Quincy's film as well. I was puzzled by the offer to Jake Cotton, but I tried to find the LOGIC in the hire. I then did my RESEARCH on the kid and found out he grew something like 6 inches and gained around 50-60 pounds heading into his senior year of football. So I did not blindly post my uneducated opinions on him, I did my research, avoided speaking uneducatedly about him and made my own conclusion to wait and see. Turns out Jake would have started for us last year had he not gotten hurt and many predict him to be an NFL pick one day. Oh, by the way, why dont you look through the threads on the guys I named. Would you any one of those kids difference makers to this point? It's fine if you don't.

The QB that I desperately wanted in that class was a kid by the name of Cain Kolter. Coaches chose to go with Carnes. Do you remember Cain from last year? He was a three star kid out of Colorado and one of Kenny Bell's best friends. Carnes was a four star kid from Florida. But do you remember Cain from last year at all?????????????

In 2011, the kids that I was the most excited about were Kevin Williams (watch his tape again. I don't know if you have ever even watched film of a single kid), Todd Peat Jr., Jamal Turner, Aaron Green, Tyler Moore, and Charles Jackson. I see around five potential difference makers here. Break down each kids HS tape and what we have been hearing about each one and tell me what makes them not difference makers. Please.

2012 - Afalava (OMG this was a huge steal and will play this year on ST, I will bet anyone), Tommy Armstrong, Greg McMullen, Michael Rose, Seisey (from everything I have heard about this kid it may be very tough to keep him for his senior season),and obviously Westerkamp. But please tell me why these kids won't be difference makers. Because some guy didn't give them all five stars? Because Mack Brown only wanted one of them? Because Kiffin only wanted two of them? Because Saban only wanted another one of them? Because Westerkamp is a WR at NU? That's weak.

Here is my thing KC, if you would ever do your research and post about one of these kids and give us objective opinions on their style of play, or something educated I would hold your posts in much higher regard. I will not blindly follow anyone and I have always voiced where the staff has short comings. We did not recruit the QB position very well in 2008 (if you can't give Bo a pass on this one I don't know what to say), and 2009 we thought we had one but he was unable to redshirt; and we did not recruit the OL position very well at all in 2008 and 2009. But since then, we have upgraded the talent level in this program. But here is my big challenge to you KC: guys like me, PaulCrewe, Aspeedlin, and there are many others on this board that do so as well that I am forgetting always do our research on kids before we post. I always watch film and I take a lot of things into account before I post anything. My challenge for you is to watch the film of these kids and tell us why we shouldn't be excited about kids like Kenny Bell, Braylon Heard, Chase Rome, Corey Cooper, Quincy Enunwa, Tyler Moore, Ryan Klachko, Jamal Turner, Todd Peat, Alonzo Moore, Charles Jackson, Zaire Anderson, Mo Seisey, Tariq Allen, Abdullah, David Santos, Jared Afalava, Tommy Armstrong, Greg McMullen, and Jordan Westerkamp. Tell us why we shouldn't be excited about those guys. Paulie, Speed, and I always tell you what we like and dislike about players after we have broken down film. All you ever do is look at stars and tell us that we got a sh#t player. Give me a reason why I shouldn't think that at least 2-3 of the above kids wont be difference makers. That was your standard right? 2-3 difference makers????????????????????????????????????????????? Im going to go out on a limb and say that there are at least that amount from the above pool of players.

• Fire 8

KC, I am going to try to sum up all of your posts into one of mine. If you would like, you can take the time to look up hard copies of my posts that state the material I will present you.

First, If you recall correctly, I did in fact begin to post when the class of '10 was shaping up. The football players that I was the most excited about in that particular class were Kenny Bell, Lavonte David, Chase Rome, Braylon Heard, and of course............ Owa......... I was really impressed with Quincy's film as well. I was puzzled by the offer to Jake Cotton, but I tried to find the LOGIC in the hire. I then did my RESEARCH on the kid and found out he grew something like 6 inches and gained around 50-60 pounds heading into his senior year of football. So I did not blindly post my uneducated opinions on him, I did my research, avoided speaking uneducatedly about him and made my own conclusion to wait and see. Turns out Jake would have started for us last year had he not gotten hurt and many predict him to be an NFL pick one day. Oh, by the way, why dont you look through the threads on the guys I named. Would you any one of those kids difference makers to this point? It's fine if you don't.

The QB that I desperately wanted in that class was a kid by the name of Cain Kolter. Coaches chose to go with Carnes. Do you remember Cain from last year? He was a three star kid out of Colorado and one of Kenny Bell's best friends. Carnes was a four star kid from Florida. But do you remember Cain from last year at all?????????????

In 2011, the kids that I was the most excited about were Kevin Williams (watch his tape again. I don't know if you have ever even watched film of a single kid), Todd Peat Jr., Jamal Turner, Aaron Green, Tyler Moore, and Charles Jackson. I see around five potential difference makers here. Break down each kids HS tape and what we have been hearing about each one and tell me what makes them not difference makers. Please.

2012 - Afalava (OMG this was a huge steal and will play this year on ST, I will bet anyone), Tommy Armstrong, Greg McMullen, Michael Rose, Seisey (from everything I have heard about this kid it may be very tough to keep him for his senior season),and obviously Westerkamp. But please tell me why these kids won't be difference makers. Because some guy didn't give them all five stars? Because Mack Brown only wanted one of them? Because Kiffin only wanted two of them? Because Saban only wanted another one of them? Because Westerkamp is a WR at NU? That's weak.

Here is my thing KC, if you would ever do your research and post about one of these kids and give us objective opinions on their style of play, or something educated I would hold your posts in much higher regard. I will not blindly follow anyone and I have always voiced where the staff has short comings. We did not recruit the QB position very well in 2008 (if you can't give Bo a pass on this one I don't know what to say), and 2009 we thought we had one but he was unable to redshirt; and we did not recruit the OL position very well at all in 2008 and 2009. But since then, we have upgraded the talent level in this program. But here is my big challenge to you KC: guys like me, PaulCrewe, Aspeedlin, and there are many others on this board that do so as well that I am forgetting always do our research on kids before we post. I always watch film and I take a lot of things into account before I post anything. My challenge for you is to watch the film of these kids and tell us why we shouldn't be excited about kids like Kenny Bell, Braylon Heard, Chase Rome, Corey Cooper, Quincy Enunwa, Tyler Moore, Ryan Klachko, Jamal Turner, Todd Peat, Alonzo Moore, Charles Jackson, Zaire Anderson, Mo Seisey, Tariq Allen, Abdullah, David Santos, Jared Afalava, Tommy Armstrong, Greg McMullen, and Jordan Westerkamp. Tell us why we shouldn't be excited about those guys. Paulie, Speed, and I always tell you what we like and dislike about players after we have broken down film. All you ever do is look at stars and tell us that we got a sh#t player. Give me a reason why I shouldn't think that at least 2-3 of the above kids wont be difference makers. That was your standard right? 2-3 difference makers????????????????????????????????????????????? Im going to go out on a limb and say that there are at least that amount from the above pool of players.

BOOM! Good post.

What Chris is saying is that we aren't stacking up with the four and five star talent that MOST of the top programs are getting consistently. Does that mean our coaches can't recruit? No. Does it mean we can't compete? No. He's talking about odds. The programs that bring in better talent have a better chance of being good. He, and I, would like to see more four/five star guys. I think damn near everyone on the board would too.

Also, with more recruiting sites that want more fans to pay for their info, they are going to have more guys rated higher, so everyone can pump sunshine and be happy with the services. We went from rivals and scout as being the two services, to now having four.

In the SEC, as of today, 06/19/12...

Arkansas presently has 9 commits, all of them 3 :star.

Auburn has 13 commits 9 of which are 3 :star.

Florida has 18 commits 8 of which are 3 :star.

Georgia has 19 commits 9 are 3 :star.

Kentucky has 4 commits all are 3 :star or lower.

LSU has 16 commits, 5 are 3 :star.

Mississippi State has 10 commits, 6 are 3 :star.

Missouri has 13 commits, 9 are 3 :star.

Ole Miss has 12 commits, 9 are 3 :star or lower.

South Carolina has 17 commits 13 are 3 :star.

Tennessee has 12 commits, at least 5 are 3 :star several others there's no info.

Texas AM has 20 commits, 10 are 3 :star.

Vanderbilt has 13 commits, 10 are 3 :star.

And that's just in the SEC.

So, to summarize: Only an incredibly small HANDFUL of teams; Alabama, LSU, USC, etc get more 4 or 5 :star than they do 3 :star or lower.

Great post. +1 for you good sir.