Did we get an 11th commit?

So, in the SEC......Missisippi State, Tennessee, Mississippi, Missouri, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Texas A&M, Florida, and Alabama (all but 1 team)...have as many 4* and above players as the Huskers (with 8 having more). My point exactly. We aren't saying you need more 4* and above than 3* guys...the number don't work that way. We're saying you need more than 5-6 a year. More 2011, less 2012.

Right, like I said only an extremely small pool of teams are going to get more than 5 or 6 :star :star :star :star or :star :star :star :star :star rated players consistently in every class year in and out. Right now those teams are Alabama, LSU, and USC for certain. You might be able to throw in Texas, Oklahoma, Florida State on occassion, but that'd be probably it.

In other words, Nebraska, due to our recruiting situation, is probably never going to get more than 4 or 5 :star :star :star :star or :star :star :star :star :star in any class. We simply do not have that kind of elite talent in our backyard to pull it off.

So I guess if one is a "star-gazer" then the only real solution is to do this... :ahhhhhhhh

Technically NU is already maxed that quota already this year when you look at players being ranked differently on the array of sites.

So, in the SEC......Missisippi State, Tennessee, Mississippi, Missouri, Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Texas A&M, Florida, and Alabama (all but 1 team)...have as many 4* and above players as the Huskers (with 8 having more). My point exactly. We aren't saying you need more 4* and above than 3* guys...the number don't work that way. We're saying you need more than 5-6 a year. More 2011, less 2012.

Right, like I said only an extremely small pool of teams are going to get more than 5 or 6 :star :star :star :star or :star :star :star :star :star rated players consistently in every class year in and out. Right now those teams are Alabama, LSU, and USC for certain. You might be able to throw in Texas, Oklahoma, Florida State on occassion, but that'd be probably it.

In other words, Nebraska, due to our recruiting situation, is probably never going to get more than 4 or 5 :star :star :star :star or :star :star :star :star :star in any class. We simply do not have that kind of elite talent in our backyard to pull it off.

So I guess if one is a "star-gazer" then the only real solution is to do this... :ahhhhhhhh

Technically NU is already maxed that quota already this year when you look at players being ranked differently on the array of sites.

2m26u0x.jpg

You are technically correct...the best kind of correct.

What I overall meant though was that I doubt Nebraska will ever reach a point where we're like Alabama or USC in recruiting and every site has 3/4ths or more of our prospects rated 4 or 5 stars. That's not to say it couldn't happen, it's just not very likely.

Edit: I knew you understood what I was saying I was just explaining it further for those who may not.

2m26u0x.jpg

You are technically correct...the best kind of correct.

What I overall meant though was that I doubt Nebraska will ever reach a point where we're like Alabama or USC in recruiting and every site has 3/4ths or more of our prospects rated 4 or 5 stars. That's not to say it couldn't happen, it's just not very likely.

Edit: I knew you understood what I was saying I was just explaining it further for those who may not.

When we win the BIG a few times you'll see that the kids that would be ranked 3 stars get that fourth star just on our rep.

When we win the BIG a few times you'll see that the kids that would be ranked 3 stars get that fourth star just on our rep.

Don't disagree because that has happened previously with a few of our recruits. Personally I'm rather meh over the whole stars and recruiting rankings. They're nice to point to and brag about but beyond that not much use.

I like objectivity, but you never bring the goods. Your standard was top twenty to thirty players but then cite Alshon Jeffery as exhibit A and fail to mention he was ranked thirteenth best at his position coming out of high school. So........? Ameer Abdullah beat out a top 30 HS player in the nation for more carries down the stretch last year. Does that put him in that category? I'm very confused by your standard.

If the 2011 class is your standard, that means you are merely a star gazer? Correct?

That's just it, you call me a star gazer - yet look at your list.

Kenny Bell 2010 3*

Braylon Heard 2010 4*

Chase Rome 2010 4*

Corey Cooper 2010 4*

Quincy Enunwa 2010 3*

Tyler Moore 2011 4*

Ryan Klachko 2011 4*

Jamal Turner 2011 4*

Todd Peat 2012 4*

Alonzo Moore 2012 4*

Charles Jackson 2011 4*

Zaire Anderson 2012 4*

Mo Seisey 2012 4*

Tariq Allen 2011 3*

Abdullah 2011 3*

David Santos 2011 4*

Jared Afalava 2012 3*

Tommy Armstrong 2012 3*

Greg McMullen 2012 4*

Jordan Westerkamp 2012 4*

That list is almost entirely comprised of our 4* recruits of the last 3 years. You hardly left off a single 4* recruit, and most of the 3* guys you added are easy to add in retrospect. The 4* guys you left off are either not with the program (Green/Starling) or I think you missed on accident (because we all loved Stafford).

When you look at our 4* recruits over the 2010/2011 years, the ones that made it on campus...Carnes is the only one that hasn't yet been a contributor or been talked about getting major playing time this season as red shirt freshman/sophomores. That's a pretty high percentage of guys. Something like 90+%. That's pretty good, compared to around 50-60% for the lower ranked guys. (i didn't look everyone up but that's pretty close)

That's a flawed way star-gaze and tell ourselves how great our recruits are. They could be, I'm not arguing that, I'm just going with what 'professionals' think of these high school kids. With more recruiting sites now available, the chances of having more guys with higher rankings is greater. Look at AJ Natter. #53, 3-star DE on ESPN and he's #15, four-star on Scout. The other two list him as a three star. As a "star-gazer," he's a three-star, not a four-star, because remember, scout sucks.

Nearly every team can pump sunshine with so many sites. Everyone likes to see their guys rated higher. Rivals has a top 100 and added top 250 in 2007. ESPN has its 150, and a 300. 247, has a top 247. That's a lot of kids, especially considering some kids will be on some sites and other kids will be on other sites. If we all feel happy with our recruits being rated in these groups, we'll visit those sites more.

Gotta remember alot of "experts" wont waste their time coming up north to a place like SD, when they can just watch some film and say yea he looks pretty good...3star. So they are just basing what they see on film, as you or i would, not necessarily in person. The kids have to go to camps or live in the south to get properly appraised by the experts. Some of our recruits should get bumped up from getting seen at summer camps, but alot of recuits, especially in the north dont go to the big camps that get them noticed. Do we reach on some kids that are athletic? Absolutely, we have to we dont have the talent pool that the SEC, Texas, and Cali does.

How and the heck did Andrew luck from Houston Texas get overlooked by everyone, his only major offers were from OKst and Sanford. Or RGIII for that matter. Had Texas coaches been a better judge of talent they would have been unstopable with either QB. But they chase the stars, and continuely miss prospects in thier own backyard. Could you imagine if we had that kind of talent in our state, How good we could be?

Something i read that makes alot of sense.

The only difference in a 4 star and a 3 star is a 3 star just needs a little more time to develop. Doesnt mean the kids arent athletic or not D1 material, just that they need a little more time then the 4 and 5 stars to grow into that athletic potential.

How and the heck did Andrew luck from Houston Texas get overlooked by everyone, his only major offers were from OKst and Sanford. Or RGIII for that matter. Had Texas coaches been a better judge of talent they would have been unstopable with either QB. But they chase the stars, and continuely miss prospects in thier own backyard. Could you imagine if we had that kind of talent in our state, How good we could be?

I think Texas is a victim of it's own success. They can have almost any player they want in Texas, but to get those top tier guys, you've got to offer early. We would have a lot of misses if everyone we offered committed almost on day one. They really don't get a chance to see a kid go through their senior year like we do. That Texas offer also gives a lot of those kids some serious ego issues. Texas could benefit from the psychological services that firm is providing our coaches. They don't get a chance to make an offer and then let the process play out. They make 30 offers and have 20 commits 18 months before they set foot on campus.

all we need to do is win games on the field make it to the big 10 championship or a bcs bowl and recruiting will be at an all time high. I think we are doing a good job as far as recruiting goes right now but it is even close to the ceiling for us. Like I said if we can really do big things on the field everything will carry over to recruiting

Fowler, I agee with ya throught this whole ordeal as ya know. All I will add in this is one of the main reason RGIII wnt to Baylor was their track program. They crank out top 400m guys every year, and RGIII was he top prep quarter miler in the nation. That played a large role because he had always let it be known coming out of high school that track woul play a large rrolein his decision. Texas knew this and it made Mack question the comitment to football and passed.

All I got.....j hear what ya sayin.

Fowler, I agee with ya throught this whole ordeal as ya know. All I will add in this is one of the main reason RGIII wnt to Baylor was their track program. They crank out top 400m guys every year, and RGIII was he top prep quarter miler in the nation. That played a large role because he had always let it be known coming out of high school that track woul play a large rrolein his decision. Texas knew this and it made Mack question the comitment to football and passed.

didnt know that, glad they didnt end up with him. Thanks :thumbs

I like objectivity, but you never bring the goods. Your standard was top twenty to thirty players but then cite Alshon Jeffery as exhibit A and fail to mention he was ranked thirteenth best at his position coming out of high school. So........? Ameer Abdullah beat out a top 30 HS player in the nation for more carries down the stretch last year. Does that put him in that category? I'm very confused by your standard.

If the 2011 class is your standard, that means you are merely a star gazer? Correct?

Kenny Bell 2010 3*

Braylon Heard 2010 4*

Chase Rome 2010 4*

Corey Cooper 2010 4*

Quincy Enunwa 2010 3*

Tyler Moore 2011 4*

Ryan Klachko 2011 4*

Jamal Turner 2011 4*

Todd Peat 2012 4*

Alonzo Moore 2012 4*

Charles Jackson 2011 4*

Zaire Anderson 2012 4*

Mo Seisey 2012 4*

Tariq Allen 2011 3*

Abdullah 2011 3*

David Santos 2011 4*

Jared Afalava 2012 3*

Tommy Armstrong 2012 3*

Greg McMullen 2012 4*

That list is almost entirely comprised of our 4* recruits of the last 3 years. You hardly left off a single 4* recruit, and most of the 3* guys you added are easy to add in retrospect. The 4* guys you left off are either not with the program (Green/Starling) or I think you missed on accident (because we all loved Stafford).

When you look at our 4* recruits over the 2010/2011 years, the ones that made it on campus...Carnes is the only one that hasn't yet been a contributor or been talked about getting major playing time this season as red shirt freshman/sophomores. That's a pretty high percentage of guys. Something like 90+%. That's pretty good, compared to around 50-60% for the lower ranked guys. (i didn't look everyone up but that's pretty close)

Yet none ,wet your top 30 standard.

How and the heck did Andrew luck from Houston Texas get overlooked by everyone, his only major offers were from OKst and Sanford. Or RGIII for that matter.  Had Texas coaches been a better judge of talent they would have been unstopable with either QB.  But they chase the stars, and continuely miss prospects in thier own backyard.  Could you imagine if we had that kind of talent in our state,  How good we could be?

Fowler, I agee with ya throught this whole ordeal as ya know.  All I will add in this is one of the main reason RGIII wnt to Baylor was their track program.  They crank out top 400m guys every year, and RGIII was he top prep quarter miler in the nation.  That played a large role because he had always let it be known coming out of high school that track woul play a large rrolein his decision.  Texas knew this and it made Mack question the comitment to football and passed.

Actually I am pretty sure he was previously committed to Houston. When Art Briles left Houston to take the Baylor job, RGIII was his first recruiting priority. RGIII flipped to follow who he wanted as his future coach and the rest is history as they say. It didn't hurt that Baylor has a great track program, but he only ran track his Fr. year.

Kenny Bell 2010 3*

Braylon Heard 2010 4*

Chase Rome 2010 4*

Corey Cooper 2010 4*

Quincy Enunwa 2010 3*

Tyler Moore 2011 4*

Ryan Klachko 2011 4*

Jamal Turner 2011 4*

Todd Peat 2012 4*

Alonzo Moore 2012 4*

Charles Jackson 2011 4*

Zaire Anderson 2012 4*

Mo Seisey 2012 4*

Tariq Allen 2011 3*

Abdullah 2011 3*

David Santos 2011 4*

Jared Afalava 2012 3*

Tommy Armstrong 2012 3*

Greg McMullen 2012 4*

Yet none ,wet your top 30 standard.

You aren't understanding. Bo doesn't usually miss on 4* guys. If they get here, they'll likely be starters/top performers. There certainly could be a top 30 guy in there. Rivals isn't going to be accurate enough to list 1-30 the best guys. But they can lump them into groups based on potential to be the best guys. We call the highest potential guys 5* players. The second highest potential guys 4* players. The guys with less potential 3* guys. And so on. They won't be perfect, but if you look at Nebraska recruiting they seem to be pretty good at predicting who will be a star wearing red.

So, if we know that Bo can turn about 90% of the 4* recruits into starters, why do we get called star-gazers when we worry about the fact we only have 2 4* players committed right now? If Bo landed a class like he did in 2011, with 11 4* recruits each year - that means 8-9 guys are going to be making it on to campus that have a high likelyhood of being 3 year starters. 4-5 classes like that in a row and we've got some damn good depth. If you look at the percentages, it takes almost 20 3* guys to get the same number of starters...and Bo likely does better with 3* guys than most. Actually I think Marvin did get with 3* guys...we'll see how some of these other coaches do.

That's why I'm not all gung ho over this class yet. It's shaping up to be a class with 4-5 4* and above guys. We might end up with a 10, I don't know...but usually we have more by this point if we are going to sign a big number like that. It just drops the percentages is all. And we need some depth.

My first recollections of Nebraska football were during a game when our kicker missed a field goal and we lost 18-16. Three of the next four years we won the national title. That's my Nebraska football: bringing in the best kids and competing for national championships. Those teams were STACKED with BLUE-CHIP talent at damn-near every position. I realize that era is gone, but can you fault me for wanting to bring in the best kids and compete for national titles again. I think we can bring those kids in, but we're just not there yet. Need more blue-chip talent.